Doctor Kathleen Dixon
School of Nursing and Midwifery
Dr Kathleen Dixon is a registered nurse and holds qualifications in education, health management and a PhD. She is a senior lecturer in the School of Nursing and Midwifery and has held many senior governance roles in the School including Deputy Dean, Director Workforce, Associate Head of School and Head of both postgraduate and undergraduate programs in nursing.
Kathleen is a highly experienced academic having taught in a range of undergraduate and post graduate local and international programs. Prior to commencing her academic career at WSU in 1987, she worked as a registered nurse in a range of acute care clinical settings. Kathleen has had significant engagement with the Nursing and Midwifery Council NSW serving as a professional member on tribunal inquiries and professional standards committees. She has also served as an elected member of WSU Academic Senate.
Kathleen has a broad range of research interests including enhancing academic literacy skills, examining issues for sessional teaching staff, evaluating diabetes education, clinical judgement in nursing and spirituality Kathleen has expertise in qualitative research with a particular interest in critical discourse analysis and Foucauldian approaches to methodology, she is currently supervising PhD, Masters Honours and BN Honours students.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Dixon.
- PhD University of Western Sydney
- MHlthAdmin University of New South Wales
- BA Macquarie University
- NTEU (1990 - 2025)
- NSW Nurses Association (1978 - 2025)
- Australian College of Nursing (2000 - 2015)
- Discourse Analysis
- Enhancing academic literacy skills
- Primary Health Care and Health Promotion
- Teaching and learning
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- School of Nursing and Midwifery
|Phone:||(02) 4570 1927|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Chapters in Books
- Hatcher, D. and Dixon, K. (2019), 'Understanding organisational culture in the community health setting', Transitions in Nursing (5th ed.), Elsevier 9780729543040.
- Hatcher, D. and Dixon, K. (2017), 'Healthy ageing and the older person', Caring for Older People in Australia: Principles for Nursing Practice, John Wiley & Sons 9780730328346.
- Hatcher, D. and Dixon, K. (2016), 'Understanding organisational culture in the community health setting', Transitions in Nursing: Preparing for Professional Practice (4th ed.), Elsevier 9780729542111.
- Hatcher, D. and Dixon, K. (2014), 'Primary healthcare and the older person', Caring for Older People in Australia: Principles for Nursing Practice, Wiley & Sons 9781118384121.
- Hatcher, D. and Dixon, K. (2013), 'Promoting sleep', Living with Dementia: a Practical Guide for Families and Personal Carers, Acer Press 9781742860442.
- Johnson, A., Hatcher, D. and Dixon, K. (2012), 'Understanding organisational culture in the community health setting', Transitions in Nursing: Preparing for Professional Practice (3rd ed.), Elsevier 9780729540827.
- Dixon, K. and Salamonson, Y. (2005), 'Disorders of the endocrine system', Pathophysiology applied to nursing practice, Mosby Elsevier 0729537439.
- Cooper, K., Luck, L., Chang, E. and Dixon, K. (2021), 'What is the practice of spiritual care? : a critical discourse analysis of registered nurses' understanding of spirituality', Nursing Inquiry, vol 28, no 2 .
- Cooper, K., Luck, L., Chang, E. and Dixon, K. (2021), 'The application of Schneider's critical discourse analysis framework for a study of spirituality in nursing', International Journal of Qualitative Methods, vol 20 , pp 1 - 6.
- Cooper, K., Chang, E., Luck, L. and Dixon, K. (2021), '[In Press] Spirituality and standards for practice : a critical discourse analysis', Journal of Holistic Nursing, .
- Hunter, J., Dixon, K. and Dahlen, H. (2021), 'The experiences of privately practising midwives in Australia who have been reported to the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency : a qualitative study', Women and Birth, vol 34, no 1 , pp 23 - 31.
- Cooper, K., Chang, E., Luck, L. and Dixon, K. (2020), 'How nurses understand spirituality and spiritual care : a critical synthesis', Journal of Holistic Nursing, vol 38, no 1 , pp 114 - 121.
- Jacobs, S., Taylor, C., Dixon, K. and Wilkes, L. (2020), 'The advantages and disadvantages of using High Fidelity Simulation as an environment to observe undergraduate nurses' actions and their alignment with clinical judgement characteristics', Clinical Nursing Studies, vol 8, no 1 , pp 15 - 20.
- Hetherington, D., Murphy, G., Wilson, N. and Dixon, K. (2020), 'Emergency department nurses' narratives of burnout : blurring of roles and professional identity', Australian Nursing and Midwifery Journal, vol 26, no 11 , pp 40 - 41.
- McDermid, F., Smith, A. and Dixon, K. (2020), 'Primary healthcare has a central role in addressing global sustainable goals', Australian Nursing and Midwifery Journal, vol 26, no 10 , pp 44 - 44.
- Eigenmann, C., Skinner, T., Hatcher, D. and Dixon, K. (2019), 'Validation of the Summary of Self-Care Behaviour (SSCB) Scale', Australian Diabetes Educator, vol 21, no 1 .
- Jacobs, S., Taylor, C., Dixon, K. and Wilkes, L. (2019), 'The alignment of nursing actions to the characteristics of clinical judgement of undergraduate student nurses', Clinical Nursing Studies, vol 7, no 3 , pp 88 - 96.
- Jacobs, S., Taylor, C., Dixon, K. and Wilkes, L. (2018), 'Consensus of the characteristics of clinical judgement utilised by nurses' in their practice : results of a survey', Open Journal of Nursing, vol 8, no 10 , pp 746 - 757.
- Jansson, M., Dixon, K. and Hatcher, D. (2017), 'The palliative care experiences of adults living in regional and remote areas of Australia : a literature review', Contemporary Nurse, vol 53, no 1 , pp 94 - 104.
- Sasko, L., Dixon, K. and Smith, S. (2017), 'A study protocol for assessing nurses knowledge of the five moments for hand hygiene (5MHH) program', Respirology, vol 22, no S3 , pp 266 - 266.
- Jacobs, S., Wilkes, L., Taylor, C. and Dixon, K. (2016), 'Addressing the challenge of developing a conceptual definition for clinical judgment', Nursing and Health, vol 4, no 1 , pp 1 - 8.
- Glew, P., Hillege, S., Salamonson, Y., Dixon, K., Good, A. and Lombardo, L. (2015), 'Predictive validity of the post-enrolment English language assessment tool for commencing undergraduate nursing students', Nurse Education Today, vol 35, no 12 , pp 1142 - 1147.
- Dixon, K., Cotton, A., Moroney, R. and Salamonson, Y. (2015), 'The experience of sessional teachers in nursing : a qualitative study', Nurse Education Today, vol 35, no 11 , pp 1097 - 1101.
- Jansson, M., Dixon, K. and Hatcher, D. (2015), 'Palliative care experiences in regional NSW', Australian Nursing and Midwifery Journal, vol 23, no 4 , pp 39 - 39.
- Smith, S., Sumar, B. and Dixon, K. (2014), 'Musculoskeletal pain in overweight and obese children', International Journal of Obesity, vol 38 , pp 11 - 15.
- Dixon, K. (2013), 'Unethical conduct by the nurse : a critical discourse analysis of Nurses Tribunal inquiries', Nursing Ethics, vol 20, no 5 , pp 578 - 588.
- Dixon, K., Webb, C. and Malfroy, J. (2001), 'Enhancing access to and retention in the Bachelor of Nursing: a successful alternative', Contemporary Nurse: A Journal for the Nursing Profession, vol 11 , pp 173 - 179.
- Chang, E., Dixon, K. and Hancock, K. (2001), 'Factors associated with risk taking behaviours in Western Sydney's Young People', Youth studies Australia, vol 20, no 4 , pp 20 - 25.
- Bartlett, M., Hatcher, D., Johnson, A. and Dixon, K. (1997), 'Total quality management in accredited New South Wales hospitals : a public/private comparison', Australian Health Review, vol 20, no 4 , pp 49 - 59.
- Ross, P., Clear, M., Dixon, K., Bartlett, M., Johnson, A., Wheldon, B. and Hatcher, D. (1996), 'Total quality mangement practices in the NSW hospital system : an overview', Australian Health Review, vol 19, no 1 , pp 40 - 51.
- Glew, P., Starr, J., Salas, M., Daly, M., Ramjan, L., Everett, B., Dixon, K. and Salamonson, Y. (2019), 'Cross-disciplinary collaboration to facilitate clinical communication workshops for undergraduate nursing students', Worldwide Nursing Conference, Singapore.
- Glew, P., Starr, J., Carmichael, C., Dixon, K. and Salamonson, Y. (2018), 'Improving the academic literacy capacities and English language skills of undergraduate nursing students', Worldwide Nursing Conference, Singapore.
- Glew, P., Starr, J., Carmichael, C., Dixon, K. and Salamonson, Y. (2017), 'The impact of academic literacy strategies on student learning in an undergraduate nursing program', Worldwide Nursing Conference, Singapore.
- Glew, P., Dixon, K., Marquez, J., Lynch, J. and Salamonson, Y. (2016), 'The experiences of undergraduate nursing students engaged in an embedded academic literacy and language support program', Worldwide Nursing Conference, Singapore.
Educating people affected by type 2 diabetes: A primary healthcare approach. Research Team: Deborah Hatcher, Kathleen Dixon, Louise Brown, Cecile Eigenmann, Genevieve Biviano
Validation of the summary of Self Care Behaviours (SSCB) Scale. Research Team: Cecile Eigenmann, Timothy Skinner, Deborah Hatcher, Kathleen Dixon
Student Literacy Strategies: School on Nursing and Midwifery, University of Western Sydney. Research Team: Paul Glew, Kathleen Dixon
2011 $6663 from UWS Division of Corporate Strategy and Sevices for the Supporting sessional teachers in Nursing (SUSTAIN) Project. Research Team: Dr Kathleen Dixon, Dr Antoinette Cotton, Associate Professor Yenna Salamonson and Robyn Moroney.
1998 $5000 Internal Equity grant, University of Western Sydney, Hawkesbury for Development and Evaluation of the Nurses Entrance Test. Research Team: Kathleen Dixon, Dr Carolyn Webb, Janne Malfroy.
1998 $4000 Teaching Development Grant, University of Western Sydney Hawkesbury for Development of a Guided Learning Package for Undergraduate Students Studying Pathophysiology. Research Team: Shirley Thyer, Kathleen Dixon, Sue Fladderak -Kelly.
1997 $10,000 Internal Research Grant, University of Western Sydney Hawkesbury for Risk Behaviours in Western Sydney's Youth: Healthy or Unhealthy? Research Team: Professor Esther Chang, Kathleen Dixon, Karen Hancock.
1994 $10,000 ARC grant for An Evaluation of the Extent of TQM Practices in NSW Hospitals. Research Team: Phil Ross, Mike Clear, Kathleen Dixon, Mark Bartlett, amanda Johnson, Brett Wheldon, Deborah Hatcher.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Dixon.
|Thesis Title:||The experiences of adolescents and young adults (AYAs) with cancer who live in regional areas of Australia|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Exploring the '5 Moments' for Hand Hygiene Program in the Australian Setting Defining what is Engaging Clinicians, Investigating Drivers of Clinician Behaviour, Enablers and Disablers to Hand Hygiene|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||The Alignment of Nursing Actions to the Characteristics of Clinical Judgement|
|Field of Research:||General Nursing|
|Thesis Title:||Emergency Department Nurses' Changing Roles and Boundaries: Narratives of Burnout|
|Field of Research:||Nursing|
|Thesis Title:||Knowledge of Australian Registered Nurses of the World Health Organisation's `My Five Moments for Hand Hygiene' (My5MHH) Program: A Cross-Sectional Descriptive Study|
|Field of Research:||Nursing|