Doctor Jess Richards
SPR/2H Casual Academic - SPRT3014,
Dean's Unit, School of Business
Hospitality, Marketing & Sport
Jessica is currently a lecturer in Sport Management in the School of Business at Western Sydney University. She is also the Academic Course Advisor for the Masters Qualifying Program (MQP). Her research broadly focuses on sport management, sport marketing, event management and measuring the social impact of sport for all members of the community. She is widely published in high quality research journals and has produced commissioned industry reports for Tennis Australia, Rugby Union Australia, various National Rugby League clubs and various Australian Football League clubs. Through her work she aims to contribute to our understanding of sport consumers, and provide sport organisations opportunities to grow and sustain their current fan base with new and innovate strategies. Her research also aims to explore the benefit of engaging with sport for all members of the community, with a focus particularly on advancing the visibility of women’s sport. She has a regular spot on ABC Newcastle and research is widely circulated through various media channels such as CHOICE Magazine, ABC News, Sydney Morning Herald and The Conversation.
Jessica was awarded her doctorate by the University of Sydney on May 4th 2017 for a study that captured the match-day experience of Everton FC fans.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Richards.
- PhD University of Sydney
- BA(Hons) University of Sydney
- Sport Management Association of Australia and New Zealand (2019 - 2022)
- Higher Education Academy (2022 - 2027)
- The Australian Sociological Association (2012 - 2021)
- Excellence in Teaching Award 2018-10-04
- Deans Citation for Excellence in Teaching Tutorials 2016-09-01
- Australian Post-Graduate Award 2012-03-01
- Golden Key Society Award 2010-11-01
- Researcher Development ECR Fellowship 2020-10-16
- Sports Management
- Sports Marketing
- Sports Sociology
- Stadium and Fan Experience
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Dean's Unit, School of Business
- Hospitality, Marketing & Sport
- School of Business Research Committee
- The Australian Sociological Association Sport Thematic Group
- Western Sydney Academy of Sport
|Phone:||(02) 9685 9294|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Current Teaching Areas
- BUSM2037 Sport Entertainment
- BUSM3008 Developing Sport Professionals
- BUSM3053 Our Sporting Future
- BUSM3068 Sport and Society
- SPRT3014 Sport Management Applied Project
Chapters in Books
- Parry, K. and Richards, J. (2022), 'Football fans and food : feeding the desire', Routledge Handbook of Sport Fans and Fandom, Routledge 9780367358310.
- Richards, J., Parry, K. and Spanjaard, D. (2022), 'Studying sports fans through ethnographic methods : walk a mile in their shoes', Routledge Handbook of Sport Fans and Fandom, Routledge 9780367358310.
- Parry, K., Richards, J., Batey, J. and Khan, A. (2021), 'Walking the walk : gender-bland sexism, the fan experience and perceptions of value in professional women's cricket', The Professionalisation of Women's Sport: Issues and Debates, Emerald Publishing 9781800431973.
- Parry, K., George, E., Richards, J. and Stevens, A. (2020), 'Watching football as medicine : promoting health at the football stadium', Football as Medicine: Prescribing Football For Global Health Promotion, Routledge 9780367248888.
- Parry, K., Richards, J. and McAuliffe, C. (2020), 'Real-time, real world learning : capitalising on mobile technology', Applied Pedagogies for Higher Education: Real World Learning and Innovation Across the Curriculum, Palgrave Macmillan 9783030469504.
- Richards, J. (2013), ''Oh the places you'll go' : a comparative study of sports spectatorship in England and Australia', Football and Communities Across Codes, Inter-Disciplinary Press 9781848882416.
- Richards, J., Parry, K. and Gill, F. (2022), '"The guys love it when chicks ask for help" : an exploration of female rugby league fans', Sport in Society, vol 25, no 5 , pp 927 - 944.
- Storr, R. and Richards, J. (2022), '[In Press] 'The tennis club is my safe space' : assessing the positive impact of playing tennis on LGBT+ people in Australia', Sport, Education and Society, .
- Richards, J., Spanjaard, D., O'Shea, M. and Garlin, F. (2022), '[In Press] The changing carnival : reimagining and recreating the match-day experience in multi-purpose stadiums', Journal of Sport and Tourism, .
- Richards, J., O'Shea, M., Spanjaard, D. and Garlin, F. (2021), ''You can rent it for a while, but it is our house' : sports fans' experience of returning 'home' to a new multipurpose stadium', International Review for the Sociology of Sport, vol 56, no 7 , pp 981 - 996.
- Richards, J. and Parry, K. (2020), 'Beers and blurred boundaries : the spatial and gendered organisation of pre-match venues for English football fans', International Review for the Sociology of Sport, vol 55, no 6 , pp 647 - 663.
- Richards, J. (2019), 'Passing and moving : negotiating fieldwork roles in football fandom research', Journal of Organizational Ethnography, vol 8, no 2 , pp 146 - 158.
- Richards, J. (2015), ''Which player do you fancy then?' : locating the female ethnographer in the field of the sociology of sport', Soccer and Society, vol 16, no 2-3 , pp 393 - 404.
- Hamilton, R. and Richards, J. (2010), 'Odds and evens : two studies in historiography', Teaching History, vol 44, no 1 , pp 11 - 15.
- Richards, J., O'Shea, M., Garlin, F., Spanjaard, D. and Hall, T. (2019), 'Kicking goals for Western Sydney : fan engagement and experience at Bankwest Stadium', Sport Management Association of Australia and New Zealand. Conference, Christchurch, N.Z..
- Parry, K., Khan, A. and Richards, J. (2018), 'Paying the price : ticket purchasing at sports events', Sport Management Association of Australia and New Zealand. Conference, Adelaide, S.A..
- 2021, 'Sydney Sixers: Evaluating the Social Impact of LGBT+ Diversity and Inclusion Work', Report
- 2020, 'From Barriers to Benefits: Investment in Women's Sport', Report
- 2020, 'Game On: LGBT+ Inclusion in Australian Tennis', Report
- 2019, 'Back to #PARRAdise: Preliminary Match-day Insights from Bankwest Stadium', Report
- 2019, 'Back to #PARRAdise: Match-day Insights from Bankwest Stadium', Report
- 2018, '#smashemsixers: A Report on the Matchday Presentation of Sydney Sixers Women's Big Bash League Games', Report
- 2018, 'Multicultural Settlement Program Evaluation', Report
|Title:||Kicking Goals for Western Sydney: Fan Engagement and Experience at Bankwest Stadium|
|Western Researchers:||Jess Richards, Tim Hall, Michelle O'Shea and Francine Garlin|
|Years:||2019-06-20 - 2022-12-31|
|Title:||Active Rugby Hubs: Evaluating the impact of an Australian Rugby program|
|Western Researchers:||Emma George and Jess Richards|
|Years:||2020-08-17 - 2023-03-31|
|Title:||LGBT inclusion in Australian Tennis|
|Western Researchers:||Ryan Storr and Jess Richards|
|Years:||2019-06-25 - 2020-07-25|
|Title:||Evaluation of Football Federation of Australia Multicultural Settlement Program|
|Western Researchers:||Keith Parry and Jess Richards|
|Years:||2018-03-14 - 2019-03-29|
|Thesis Title:||Developing a Systematic, Evidence Based Model for Health Interventions Using Sport|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||A content analysis of Twitter attitudes on women's Australian and North American sports|
|Field of Research:||Gender Specific Studies|