Doctor Genevieve Dwyer
Senior Lecturer In Physiotherapy, Paediatrics,
Genevieve is a senior Lecturer (part time) in the Physiotherapy Program at the University of Western Sydney. Genevieve completed her PhD at the beginning of this year in the area of assessment of physical activity in preschool-age children. As well as being an academic, Genevieve works part time as a paediatric physiotherapist and she has extensive clinical experience in public and private sector settings. She has a passionate interest in the area of physical activity and especially in how paediatric clinicians can promote health and well-being for all children, including those with disability, through engagement in physical activity.
Genevieve’s PhD involved the development and validation of Pre-PAQ – a questionnaire designed to assess physical activity and sedentary behaviour in preschool-age children (aged 3-5 years), including potential influences on their behaviour. The tool was developed for use in epidemiological projects.
Her current research endeavours are focused upon an exploration of physical activity behaviour in primary school-age children with intellectual disability. She is also an associate investigator in the Physical Activity in Western Sydney (PAWS) project, investigating family-based physical activity participation amongst Western Sydney families with young children.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Dwyer.
- PhD University of Sydney
- MAppSc University of Sydney
- GradCertAdEd University of New England
- PDPHS Curtin University of Technology
- BAppSc Cumberland College of Health Sciences
- Australian Physiot (1980 - 2015)
- Children with disability
- Chronic Disease Management across the lifespan
- Physical Activity
- Physical Activity Health Promotion
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
|Phone:||(02) 4620 3993|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
- Hnatiuk, J., Dwyer, G., George, E. and Bennie, A. (2020), '[In Press] Co-participation in physical activity : perspectives from Australian parents of pre-schoolers', Health Promotion International, .
- Dentice, R., Elkins, M., Verschuer, J., Eberl, S., Dwyer, G. and Bye, P. (2019), 'Side lying during nebulisation can significantly improve apical deposition in healthy adults and adults with mild cystic fibrosis lung disease : a randomised crossover trial', BMC Pulmonary Medicine, vol 19, no 1 .
- MacMillan, F., George, E., Feng, X., Merom, D., Bennie, A., Cook, A., Sanders, T., Dwyer, G., Pang, B., Guagliano, J., Kolt, G. and Astell-Burt, T. (2018), 'Do natural experiments of changes in neighborhood built environment impact physical activity and diet? : a systematic review', International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol 15, no 2 .
- Dentice, R., Elkins, M., Dwyer, G. and Bye, P. (2018), 'The use of an alternate side lying positioning strategy during inhalation therapy does not prolong nebulisation time in adults with Cystic Fibrosis : a randomised crossover trial', BMC Pulmonary Medicine, vol 18, no 3 .
- Dwyer, G., Walker, K., Baur, L. and Badawi, N. (2016), 'Developmental outcomes and physical activity behaviour in children post major surgery : an observational study', BMC Pediatrics, vol 16 .
- Skouteris, H., Dell'Aquila, D., Baur, L., Dwyer, G., McCabe, M., Ricciardelli, L. and Fuller-Tyszkiewicz, M. (2012), 'Physical activity guidelines for preschoolers : a call for research to inform public health policy', Medical Journal of Australia, vol 196, no 3 , pp 174 - 176.
- Mitchell, J., Skouteris, H., McCabe, M., Ricciardelli, L., Milgrom, J., Baur, L., Fuller-Tyszkiewicz, M. and Dwyer, G. (2012), 'Physical activity in young children : a systematic review of parental influences', Early Child Development and Care, vol 182, no 11 , pp 1411 - 1437.
- Dwyer, G., Hardy, L., Peat, J. and Baun, L. (2011), 'The validity and reliability of a home environment preschool-age physical activity questionnaire (Pre-PAQ)', International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, vol 8, no 1 , pp 86 - 98.
- Dwyer, G., Baur, L., Higgs, J. and Hardy, L. (2009), 'Promoting children's health and well-being : broadening the therapy perspective', Physical and Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics, vol 29, no 1 , pp 27 - 43.
- Dwyer, G., Higgs, J., Hardy, L. and Baur, L. (2008), 'What do parents and preschool staff tell us about young children's physical activity : a qualitative study', International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, vol 5, no 1 , pp 1 - 11.
- Dwyer, G., Baur, L. and Hardy, L. (2008), 'The challenge of understanding and assessing physical activity in preschool-age children : thinking beyond the framework of intensity, duration and frequency of activity', Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, vol 12, no 5 , pp 534 - 536.
|Title:||The impact of compliant-soled shoes on the balance parameters in fullterm and preterm survivors in children aged 4 years|
|Western Researchers:||Genevieve Dwyer, Stefania Penkala, Paul Breen and Jennifer Roberts|
|Years:||2018-03-05 - 2021-05-01|