Doctor Eva Vass
Senior Lecturer in Pedagogy & Learning Design with Educational Sociology or Educational Psychology,
- PhD The Open University
- MPh University of Cambridge (UK)
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Primary Education
|Phone:||(02) 9772 6344|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 101587 Teaching in New Times, 2014
- 102075 Researching and Developing Engaging Pedagogies, 2015
- 102076 Teaching and Learning in Classrooms, 2014
- Sawyer, W., Munns, G., Zammit, K., Attard, C., Vass, E. and Hatton, C. (2018), 'Engaging Schooling: Developing Exemplary Education for Students in Poverty', : Routledge 9781138673519.
Chapters in Books
- Vass, E. and Deszpot, G. (2018), 'A teljes figyelem es a flow-elmeny a gyermekeknel a Kokas-pedagogiaban', A Zenepedagogia Multja, Jelene es Jovoje: tanulmanykotet a felsofoku zenetanarkepzes 50 eves evforduloja alkalmabol rendezett konferencia eloadasaibol = The Past, Present and Future of Music Education: A Volume of Lectures at a Conference on the 50th Anniversary of Advanced Music Teacher Training, Debrecen University Press 9789633187647.
- Vass, E. and Rayner, A. (2022), '[In Press] Resurgence from crisis through awareness of natural inclusion', Human Arenas, .
- Vass, E. (2019), 'Musical co-creativity and learning in the Kokas pedagogy : polyphony of movement and imagination', Thinking Skills and Creativity, vol 31 , pp 179 - 197.
- Vass, E. (2018), 'Musical co-creativity and learning : the fluid body language of receptive-responsive dialogue', Human Arenas, vol 1, no 1 , pp 56 - 78.
- Vass, E. and Deszpot, G. (2017), 'Introducing experience-centred approaches in music teacher education : opportunities for pedagogic metamorphosis', Thinking Skills and Creativity, vol 23 , pp 1 - 16.
- Vass, E. and Deszpot, G. (2015), 'Opportunities for creative transformations in the Kokas pedagogy', Changing Face of Music and Art Education, vol 7, no 2 .
- Vass, E., Littleton, K., Jones, A. and Miell, D. (2014), 'The affectively constituted dimensions of creative interthinking', International Journal of Educational Research, vol 66 , pp 63 - 77.
- Aguirre-Bielschowsky, I., Freeman, C. and Vass, E. (2012), 'Influences on children's environmental cognition : a comparative analysis of New Zealand and Mexico', Environmental Education Research, vol 18, no 1 , pp 91 - 115.
- 2022, 'Poetry in Action: Understanding Experiences, Perceptions, and Impacts of PIA in Secondary Schools: Research Report. Part 1, Artists', Report
- 2022, 'Poetry in Action: Understanding Experiences, Perceptions, and Impacts of PIA in Secondary Schools: Research Report. Part 2, Schools', Report
My key research interests include:
- Creative teaching and learning,
- Dialogic Classrooms,
- Alternative Music Pedagogies,
- Technology enhanced teaching and learning,
- Teacher Professional Development and Action Research
My research is framed by socio-cultural theorizing, exploring how the social and cultural contexts of children’s lives mediate their learning and development. I developed extensive knowledge in the field of educational research in general, with specific expertise in observational research. I have a special interest in researching collaborative learning, creative teaching and learning and the mediational role of new technologies in learning. I have interest in social ecology and environmental education as well.
My current work concerns children’s creative development. My aim is to investigate the links between bodily, affect-based experiences, imagination and connectedness. In collaboration with the Agape Foundation and the Kodaly Zoltan Institute in Hungary, I am exploring the ways in which musical experiences – such as free movement improvisations to music – facilitate empathy, other-orientation, and collective creativity (keywords: creativity and imagination, embodied learning, affect and learning, collaborative creativity).
Watch my presentation here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGoRzYSN-OM
This information has been contributed by Doctor Vass.
|Title:||Understanding experiences perceptions and impacts of Poetry In Action in schools|
|Western Researchers:||Susanne Gannon and Eva Vass|
|Years:||2021-11-01 - 2022-07-31|
Doctor Vass is available to be a principal supervisor for doctoral projects
|Thesis Title:||How are Ideas and Practices of Creativity in the Australian Curriculum Understood by 'Exemplary' Primary School Teachers in NSW Public Schools?|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||The scaffolding of group work in teaching English as a foreign language (EFL) in Indonesian primary classrooms|
|Field of Research:||Teacher Education: Primary; English As A Second Language Teaching; English Language|
|Thesis Title:||Evaluation of the Degree of Possession of Postgraduate Students in the Faculties of Education for the Skills of Creative Thinking in the Educational Research in the Jordanian Universities|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Studying and teaching abroad: Volunteer Chinese language teachers? intercultural development in Australia|
|Field of Research:|