Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Achievement Scholarship
Scholarship Type: Indigenous
Scholarship Group: A
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Achievement Scholarships aim to encourage academically gifted Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students who are either commencing or continuing their tertiary education at the University.
- $5,000 per year for up to five years*
*full-time, or part-time equivalent
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
Confirmation of Identity:
- identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander and submit documentation declaring and confirming Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander identity.
- new and continuing student
- any undergraduate degree
- be able to demonstrate financial or other hardship based on the Equity Criteria
- be applying for any undergraduate degree at the University with an ATAR of 65 or above (or equivalent via the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Alternative Entry Program) OR
- be currently enrolled in an undergraduate degree and have maintained a minimum GPA of 4 (pass average)
Application and Selection Process
Applicants must provide a statement supporting their application indicating how they believe receiving the scholarship will assist them with their studies and future careers. This statement should give a sufficient explanation of the applicant's background and current circumstances to enable the University to judge their eligibility, need and merit.
Successful applicants will be selected based on their written application, academic potential, ability to meet the criteria, and, where appropriate, performance in an interview before a selection panel.
In addition, applicants must demonstrate the rationale for seeking an equity-based scholarship (including but not limited to socio-economic challenges).
Further information and how to apply can be found on our Indigenous Scholarship page.
Continuing Eligibility Criteria
- Recipients must remain enrolled at Western.
- Recipients must maintain a minimum GPA of 4.