MESH has many resources designed to assist with maths and stats relevant to nursing and midwifery students.
MESH runs workshops for the Professional Practice Experience subjects at various times in the semester. Information about times for these workshops can be found on our Events page during session in the Numeracy for Nursing section.
Maths and Stats Help
MESH tutors are available every weekday. Click here for the Maths and Stats Help timetable.
An online maths help line, "I Don't Get It" where students can post non-assessment questions about maths problems and receive help from MESH staff within one business day.
Nursing Numeracy Resources
The following resources may be helpful in your study of numeracy related to nursing.
Fractions and Decimals
- BBC Skillwise Fractions offers an introduction to fractions and self tests to check your understanding.
- MathsCentre Fractions: Basic Ideas covers the basic concepts of fractions. A video is also available.
- MathsCentre Fractions: Multiplying and Dividing is a guide to the processes for multiplying and dividing fractions. A video of the material is also available.
- BBC Skillswise Decimals offers an introduction to the decimal system and some self tests so that you can check your understanding of the material.
- MathsCentre Decimals is a booklet which explains the decimal system, how it relates to fractions and the processes needed to multiply and divide decimals by powers of 10. There is also a video covering the same material.
Measurement and Metric Conversion
- Unit Conversion in the Metric System is a video which covers the concept of the metric system.
- Reading Scales and Reading Scales Part 2 cover reading of medical scales including syringes.
- Tablet Dosage Calculations provides examples of the calculations required for this skill.
- Calculating tablet doses from Flinders University gives step by step examples of the process.
- Drug Calculations for Health Professionals from testandcalc.com includes quizzes and help for this skill (also practice for metric conversions)
- MatheCentre Nursing Medication Calculation Formulae is a handy summary of several of the skills needed for drug calculations.
Other resources that may be useful during your nursing and midwifery studies include:
- Maths Start workshop materials - these materials are those used in the MESH workshops at the start of each year. (vUWS login required) Much of this content is aimed at students in engineering and science however the material on rational numbers in Algebra 1 maybe of direct use.