- Future Now | Securing Digital Success 2018-2020
- IT maintenance planned outages
- IT Service Desk
- Email and Related Services
- Western WiFi Wireless Network
- IT Contracts
- Computer Laboratories
- Australian Access Federation
- IT Finance and Procurement
- Service Improvements
- Staff Software Benefits
- Cyber Security
- COVID-19: ITDS Advice, Guides and Support
Welcome to PrintSmart!
Swipe. Print. Collect. Log Off.
It is that easy.
ITDS has partnered with Procurement, Asset, and Equipment (PAE) services to develop a new print solution for the University, called PrintSmart.
What is PrintSmart
PrintSmart is a new print solution where staff and students simply swipe their ID cards to print their work, anywhere and anytime on any device for up to 24 hours. This is commonly known as 'Follow Me Print'.
The new print solution aspires to provide an enhanced user experience sustainable for both the University and which helps to minimise the impact on the environment. As a result, the rollout of the new print fleet will be deployed across our campus network for both staff and students until the end of this year.
How does it work
To use PrintSmart for the first time, you must take two steps. They are:
- Connect your computer to the network; and
- Register/enrol your Staff/Student ID card.
Once you have completed the above (see the guides on the buttons to the right,) by just swiping your card and selecting 'jobs' you will be able to see your own queue of print jobs where you can release your work. You will have 24 hours to collect your work.
How is PrintSmart being rolled out
ITDS will be deploying PrintSmart's proof of concept (POC) shortly at the Hawkesbury campus in a few buildings, with campus-wide deployment in the second half of the year. We are actively engaging with staff affected by the POC, and as PrintSmart continues, we will be in touch with affected areas before deployment occurs.
We will use this site to update you with information, guides, and further help. You can also contact the ITDS Service Desk for further help.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Here are some of the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) that we have received so far to help staff and students with any questions they may have. Alternatively, you can always contact our Service Desk for further help.
We will continue to develop these as we progress with the deployment of PrintSmart.
What is Follow Me Print?
Follow Me Print (we have called it PrintSmart) allows users to print to a shared print queue, roam and print their work from any printer, anywhere with a 24 hour period. This ensures printing is confidential to the user and reduces printed waste from documents left uncollected at the printer. As you have registered your card, using a specific Fuji Zerox device, you can print anywhere at any of our campuses.
What are the benefits of PrintSmart?
There are many benefits to both staff and students, as well as the University as a whole. Some of the benefits include:
- Minimised printed waste as uncollected (or orphan) prints are not left preventing unnecessary paper and ink are wasted, alleviating environmental concerns.
- Reduce printing costs due to less waste.
- Increase user productivity as staff and students can print from any printer on any campus, once they are set up.
- Protect document confidentiality as you can control when you print and you can only pick it up once you have swiped your card.
- Convenient, secure printing for all.
Is PrintSmart for both Students and Staff?
Yes, this is for both students and staff. Staff will have their printers in the same area where their older printer resided and the same applies to students.
How do I enroll my Western staff/student card and link my computer/device?
Please the guides above, located on the buttons.