The WISER Approach
The complexity of securing water supplies and achieving balanced land use can be best tackled through System Harmonisation:
- Understand the rapidly changing land use and hydrology of peri-urban regions as impacted by a growing population, metro and regional land and water management strategies, and land and water use for residential, business and other purposes,
- Understand the role of land and water resources in primary production, identify opportunities and constraints as influenced by the availability of land and water supplies,
- Analyse market options and mechanisms to improve land and water productivity and environmental outcomes,
- Identify options and opportunities for improved health of river and water bodies,
- Review land and water policies, institutional barriers and community aspirations and identify changes needed to improve associated governance and
- Provide input into regional planning via understanding of water and land resource issues.