Flu Vaccinations 2020
FLU VAX update - due to high demand and Department of Health’s instruction, to ensure that vulnerable members of our community receive the Flu Vaccination first, bookings for Western’s Flu Vac’s Pharmacy Vouchers may take up to three (3) weeks.
The Chief Medical Officer for the Australian Government, Professor Brendan Murphy, recommends vaccinating from mid-April to May in order to develop immunity before rates of influenza increase. Your GP can recommend the best time to get the flu shot based on your individual circumstances as well. Ultimately, being vaccinated at any time is better than not at all.
If you or someone you care for identifies as or has a preexisting condition related to the categories listed below, please consult with your GP or Pharmacist directly to avoid the wait time:
- all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 6 months and over
- all children aged 6 months to less than 5 years of age (including Aboriginal and medically at risk)
- all individuals aged 5 years and over with medical risk conditions, namely:
- cardiac disease, including cyanotic congenital heart disease, coronary artery disease and congestive heart failure
- chronic respiratory conditions, including suppurative lung disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and severe asthma
- other chronic illnesses requiring regular medical follow up or hospitalisation in the previous year, including diabetes mellitus, chronic metabolic diseases, chronic renal failure, and haemoglobinopathies
- chronic neurological conditions that impact on respiratory function, including multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injuries, and seizure disorders
- impaired immunity, including HIV, malignancy and chronic steroid use
- children aged 6 months to 10 years on long term aspirin therapy
- pregnant women (influenza vaccine can be given at any stage of pregnancy)
- people aged 65 years and over (vaccine that is specifically designed to produce a higher immune response is available for this group).
If you have any questions about the Flu Vax Program please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.