- Mental Health & Wellbeing Strategy
- - Get Healthy Information & Coaching Service
- - Go4Fun
- - Fit & Strong Challenge
- - Mental health meanings
- - Health and physical wellbeing
- - Respect.Now.Always.
- - Counselling Service
- - Australia and New Zealand University Mental Health Day
- - Lifeline Training
- - Anxiety Forum
- - Wellness Walk
- - Sports Inclusion Program
- - Early Intervention in Psychosis Forum
- - ONETalk Forums: Early Intervention in Psychosis
- - Carers Forum
- - Sexual Health Training
- - 10 Tips to Stress Less Competition
- - Lifeline CSWT Fast-track Program
- Mental Health & Wellbeing resources
- Mental Health & Wellbeing training
- Contact the Mental Health & Wellbeing team
The University recognises the importance of health and wellbeing, and supports the efforts of staff and students to develop and maintain a healthy lifestyle for themselves and their families.
Western Sydney University has established a formal partnership with Population Health, Nepean Blue Mountains and Western Sydney Local Health Districts and is working with Population Health on a range of healthy lifestyle initiatives for staff and students, including the promotion of Go4Fun®.
What is Go4Fun®
The Go4Fun® program is a free healthy lifestyle program for children aged seven to 13 years. The program aims to provide children with the information and skills to become fit, healthy and happy. The program is fun and interactive, and supports children and their families to adopt or maintain a long-lasting approach to healthy living.
The Go4Fun® program is based on the United Kingdom's MEND (Mind, Exercise, Nutrition… Do It!) program. MEND is a multi-disciplinary program that supports children and their families to:
- Adopt healthy attitudes to food and eating (Mind)
- Be motivated to exercise on a regular basis (Exercise)
- Be empowered to make informed food choices (Nutrition)
- Know how to Do it in a fun, easy and sustainable way
The delivery of Go4Fun® in NSW is funded by the NSW Ministry of Health as a part of the government's Healthy Children's Initiative.
Go4Fun® coaching sessions
Go4Fun® runs over a 10-week school term, with one two-hour coaching session per week (10 free sessions), which are conveniently scheduled after-hours. Parents/carers attend each session with their children to encourage a whole-of-family approach. Sessions include weekly games and activities for kids; fun, interactive discussions about nutrition, physical activity and self-esteem; and receive delicious and healthy recipes. Plus, all children involved in Go4Fun receive a drink bottle, T-shirt, label-reading card, bag and cup for measuring food portions. Additional incentives are given to children throughout the program.
The program has been specifically designed for children and their families who want support and information to ensure they lead a healthy lifestyle. Children are eligible for the program if they:
- Are aged seven to 13 years old
- Want information and support to establish and maintain a healthy way of life
- Are otherwise healthy (with no significant illnesses)
- Have a parent/carer who is able to attend all of the Go 4 Fun® sessions with them
- Are above a healthy weight
Register for Go4Fun®
If you would like to register for this service, please visit the Go4Fun®website (opens in a new window).
More information on Go4Fun®
If you would like to find out more information, please visit the Go4Fun® website (opens in a new window).
The benefits of Go4Fun®
Participants in the Go4Fun® program have seen great improvements in their health, including:
- A reduction in BMI of 0.4kg/m2
- A reduction in waist circumference of 1.9cm
- An increase in the number of children meeting daily physical activity recommendations
- A decrease in time spent in sedentary behaviours and the number of soft drinks consumed each day
- An increase in the number of fruit and vegetable serves consumed each day, in line with recommendations
- An increase in self-esteem.