19th Century

30,000 years of human habitation on the Cumberland Plain.

1788 – European settlement.

1808 – Maria Lock born near Richmond. She died in 1878.

1810 – Coallee (Werrington South campus) granted to Mary Putland Bligh O’Connell.

1810 – Foundation of first school in Western Sydney – Ebenezer, in the Hawkesbury.

1813 – Foundation stone of the Female Orphan School, Parramatta laid, which opened in 1818.

1814 – Foundation of the Native Institution at Parramatta.

1817 – John Oxley’s ‘Out line map of the settlement in New South Wales’ published.

1833 – Sydney Mechanics School of the Arts established.

1840 – Earliest estimated date for construction of Frogmore House. The actual date is contested and may be in the 1860s.

1850 – Male and Female Orphanages merged. The first male students arrive.

1852 – University of Sydney commences classes.

1873 – Windeyer Royal Commission promotes de-institutionalisation e.g. ‘boarding out’ as ways of raising orphaned children.

1878 – Sydney Technical College established by the Sydney Mechanics School of the Arts.

1891 – Hawkesbury Agricultural College (HAC) founded in ‘Toxana’, Richmond.

1893 – Vernon group of buildings begin to be built on Parramatta South campus.

1894 – Principal’s residence (‘Yarramundi House’) opened at HAC.

1895 – Stable Square, HAC, opened. ‘Quadrangle’ buildings commenced.

1896 – First student residences opened at HAC.

1898 – HAC Old Boys Union formed.