- About us
- Courses and training programs
- Work Planning and Career Development
Career Development Opportunities
- - Academic Careers and Development
- - Academic Development Program
- - Academic Promotions
- - Academic Mentoring Program
- - Education Support Allowance
- - Critical Management Conversations
- - Inspire Leadership Program
- - Scholarships for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
- - Speed Mentoring Forums
- - Staff Postgraduate Study Scholarships
- - Vice-Chancellor's Professional Development Scholarships
- - Senior Management Group Conference
- - Strategy Forum
- - Professional Staff Mentoring Program
- How-to resources
- Contact us
- Coaching @ Western
Academic Capability and Performance
The University's Career Development Planning and Review process is outlined in the Staff Enterprise Agreements (opens in a new window) and in the Professional Development Policy (opens in a new window). Active participation in the Career Development Planning and Review process (Compass) is related to a number of employment benefits and conditions including probation; promotion; academic development leave; study leave; educational allowance; salary increments and recruitment and retention loadings.
In addition, the following resources are available to support academic capability development and performance:
- The Academic Capabilities Framework (Interactive) (opens in a new window) (staff login required) has been designed to assist you in managing and enhancing your career – at all stages of your development. The Capabilities Framework integrates twelve core capabilities that support high performance and the development of key academic skills related to research, learning and teaching, and leadership and engagement across the career life cycle.
- Academic Career Development Forums provide early career academics with an opportunity to reflect on their participation in speed mentoring and early career networks, consider what career development and planning means for them, develop career goals, hear from relevant speakers and identify available support and resources. Information and registration is available in MyCareer Online (opens in a new window).
- Achieving High Academic Performance (PDF, 1.22MB) (staff login required) (opens in a new window) is a quick reference tool to assist you with clarifying, achieving, documenting and reporting on your performance.
- The Managing your Academic Career (PDF, 1.48MB) (staff login required) (opens in a new window) guide will assist you in managing your academic career to achieve optimal career outcomes, prepare you for your performance and career development discussions, and map your next steps across all aspects of your role.
- Developing your Teaching Capabilities (PDF, 1MB) (staff login required) (opens in a new window) offers practical tips on how to build your teaching, teaching scholarship and teaching leadership capabilities to ensure your teaching track record is competitive and well positioned for career success.
- Developing your Research Capabilities (PDF, 1.55MB) (staff login required) (opens in a new window) is designed as a quick reference tool to explore how you might increase your research productivity, outcomes and impact.
- Developing your Engagement and Leadership Capabilities (PDF, 1.68MB) (staff login required) (opens in a new window) explores how you are making a positive contribution to and building strong connections and linkages with the University, your discipline, the academic community and broader sector.
- One - Three Year Academic Career and Development Plan (DOCX, 1063.56 KB) (opens in a new window)