Adjunct Professor, Translational Health Research Institute
Elias Mpofu is recipient of research awards by the Australian Research Council, US National Institute on Disability Independent Living and Rehabilitation Research (NIDILRR), National Institutes of Health, (NIH) Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) and National Science Foundation (NSF). Professor Mpofu’s professional service includes being past Chair/Convenor of the Rehabilitation Psychology Interest Group of the Australian Psychological Society (2014-2015), panel member of the Australian ICF Disability and Rehabilitation Research Program (AIDRRP), advisory committee member of the World Health Organization’s [WHO] Collaborating Centre for Health Workforce Development in Rehabilitation and Long Term Care (2012-2017) and examiner for the behavioural health module of the The Royal Australasian College of Physicians (2012-present). Professor Elias Mpofu is editor of The Journal of Psychology in Africa, Australian Journal of Rehabilitation Counselling, and associate editor of the Australian Psychologist and the International Journal of testing.
- Aging and wellbeing
- Community living and participation
- Sustainable community health
- Health disparities, equity and social justice
Qualifications & Recognition
Elias Mpofu’s qualifications and recognitions include the US National Institute on Disability, Independent Living and Rehabilitation Research (NIDILRR)- Mary Switzer Distinguished Researcher Award (2008), US National Council on Rehabilitation Education (NCRE), and the American Rehabilitation Counselling Association Research Award (2007), and the Rehabilitation Educator of the Year Award by the NCRE (2010). He was awarded an honorary doctoral degree in education by the University of Pretoria (2010). Elias Mpofu has served on research grant panels of the NIDILRR, US National Institutes of Health (NIH), Swiss National Science Foundation and others.
Research & Publications
- For a complete list of my publications please see my publications page (opens in a new window)
- Mpofu, E., Hossain, S.Z., Dune, T., Baghbanian, A., Aibangbee, M., Pithavadian, R, Liamputtong, P, & Mapedzahama, V. (in press). Contraception decision making by Australian Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) Australian Youth: An exploratory study. Australian Psychologist
- Mpofu, E. Hadidja Nyiransekuye, H., & Levers, L. L. (in-press). Identity development among African youth refugee immigrants to Australia. In S.S. Chuang, D. J. Johnson, Rasmi, S. & Glozman, J. (Eds). Formation and Identity: The Intersectionality of Development, Culture, and Immigration, New York, NY: Springer.
- Pitt, C., Doyle, K. E., Mpofu, E., Suanders, P., Doyle, R. W., Zarb, L. P. (in press). Leadership for sustainable organizational health and wellbeing: Indigenous community perspectives. In A. Di Fabio (Ed.). Cross-cultural perspectives on well-being and sustainability in organizations. Cham, Switzerland: Springer
- Li X, Dorstyn D., Mpofu, E., O`Neill L. Li Q., Chi Zhang & Ingman S. (in press). Nursing Assistants and Resident Satisfaction in Long-term Care: A Systematic Review. Geriatric Nursing.
- Mpofu, E., Ntinda, K, Levers, L. L., van Rensberg, A. & Nkomanazana, F. (2021). Pathways to sexual decisions by Botswana Pentecostal Teenagers. BMC Public Health https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/track/pdf/10.1186/s12889-021-10645-8.pdf
- **Resiak, D., Mpofu, E., & Rothwell, R. (2021). Sustainable harm reduction Needle and Syringe Programs for People Who Inject Drugs: A scoping review of their implementation qualities. Sustainability, 13(5), 2834.
- Mpofu, E., Ingman, S., Matthews-Juarez, P., Rivera, S., & Juarez, P. (2021). Trending the evidence on Opioid Use Disorder (OUD) Continuum of care among Rural American Indian/Alaskan Native (AI/AN) Tribes: A Systematic Scoping Review. Addictive Behaviors, 114, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2020.106743
- Liu, X., Ke, L., Ho, J., Abboud, M., Mpofu, E., Brennan-Speranza, T. C., ... & Brock, K. E. (2020). Sleep duration is associated with vitamin D deficiency in older women living in Macao, China: A pilot cross-sectional study. Plos One, 15(3), e0229642.
- **Rivera-Torres, S., Mpofu, E., Jean, K., & Ingman, S. (2021). Older Adults’ Mental Health through Leisure Activities during COVID-19: A Scoping Review. Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine. 7, 23337214211036776
- Mpofu, E. (Ed.) (2021). Sustainable Community Health: Systems and Practices in Diverse Settings. New York, NY: Palgrave/Macmillan. (638 pages).
- Mpofu, E. (2021). Concepts and models in sustainable community health. In E. Mpofu (Ed). Sustainable Community Health: Systems and Practices in Diverse Settings. (pp. 3-38). New York, NY: Palgrave/Macmillan.
- **Watts, J., MacDaniels, B, Rivera, S., Resiak, D., Mpofu, E., & Redwine, S. (2021). Community substance use safety. (pp. 201-237). In E. Mpofu (Ed.). Sustainable Community Health: Systems and Practices in Diverse Settings. New York, NY: Palgrave/Macmillan.
- **Watts, J., Mpofu, E., Li. Q., Cortez, V., & Baniya, G. (2021). Community mental health wellbeing. (pp. 239-269). In E. Mpofu (Ed.). Sustainable Community Health: Systems and Practices in Diverse Settings. New York, NY: Palgrave/Macmillan.
- Machina, M., Mpofu, E., Rivera, S., Abah, T. & Knight, R. (2021). Older adults wellbeing. (pp. 435-459). In E. Mpofu (Ed.). Sustainable Community Health: Systems and Practices in Diverse Settings. New York, NY: Palgrave/Macmillan.
- Mpofu, E., Houck, E. Linden, A., & Fernandez, C. (2021). Intellectual and developmental disability health and wellbeing. (461-497). In E. Mpofu (Ed.). Sustainable Community Health: Systems and Practices in Diverse Settings. New York, NY: Palgrave/Macmillan.
- Colombo-Dougovito, A., Dillon, S. R. & Mpofu, E. (2021). Neurodivergent people wellbeing. (pp. 499-535). In E. Mpofu (Ed.). Sustainable Community Health: Systems and Practices in Diverse Settings. New York, NY: Palgrave/Macmillan.
- Davies, K., Mpofu, E., Abah, T. & Moore, A. (2021). Obesity and metabolic conditions. (pp. 537-577). In E. Mpofu (Ed.). Sustainable Community Health: Systems and Practices in Diverse Settings. New York, NY: Palgrave/Macmillan.
- Oppong, S., Brune, K., & Mpofu, E. (2021). Indigenous communities health. (pp. 579-610). In E. Mpofu (Ed.). Sustainable Community Health: Systems and Practices in Diverse Settings. New York, NY: Palgrave/Macmillan.
- Black, R., Dorstyn, D., Mpofu, E. & Kneebone, I. (2017). Understanding depression symptomatology in multiple sclerosis: A systematic review. Rehabilitation Psychology, 62(2), 143-164.
- Fang, Y., Mpofu, E., & Athanasou, J. (2017). Reducing depressive or anxiety symptoms in post stroke patients: A constructive integrative psychosocial intervention. International Journal of the Health Sciences, 11(4), 53-58.
- Moore, A. R., Bohm-Jordan, M., Amey, F., & Mpofu, E. (2020). Correlates of single versus multiple functional disabilities among aging Americans: Race/ethnicity and region of birth. Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine, 6, 2333721420914785.
- Li, Q., Mpofu, E., Yin, C. & Turner, K. W. (2019). Perception of falls and confidence in self-management of falls among older adults. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 16(24), 5054; https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph16245054
- Yang, C., Moore, A. Mpofu, E. Dorstyn, D., Qiwei, L., & Chen, M. (2019). Effectiveness of combined cognitive and physical interventions to enhance functioning in older adults with mild cognitive impairment: A systematic review of randomized controlled trials. The Gerontologist doi:10.1093/geront/gnz149
- Brooks, J. M., Blake, J., Sánchez, J., Mpofu, E., Wu, J. R., Chen, X., Nauser, J., Cotton, B. P., & Bartels, S. J. (2019). Self-reported pain intensity and depressive symptoms among community-dwelling older adults with schizophrenia spectrum disorders. Community Mental Health Journal, 1-7.