Commencing students

1. What are credit points?

These are points awarded when you satisfy a unit's requirement. Units may have different requirements so check the unit outline and learning guide on this. Each course has a set amount of credit points that need to be completed to be eligible for further studies at university.

2. What is a unit outline?

A unit outline is a snapshot of the unit and indicates the unit outcomes, assessment tasks and main topics.

3. What is a Learning Guide?

A learning guide contains detailed information about the unit including learning outcomes, weekly topics and assessment briefs.

4. Where can I purchase textbooks?

You can purchase your text books at The University Store for Sydney based campuses.

5. My units have lectures and tutorial/workshops. Do I need to attend both?

Yes, The College students are required to attend all allocated classes and are expected to maintain a minimum 80% overall attendance rate.

6. I have missed the first 'x' weeks of classes, what should I do?

You will need to speak with each of your unit teacher's about the work you have missed and should also catch up on work where you can, through each unit's vUWS site. If you are finding this difficult, you can make an appointment to discuss possible learning strategies with your FYEC.

Students are required to accept responsibility for the effect their absence may have on their academic performance and attendance record.

Please note that students cannot enrol in their course after 5pm on Friday of Week 2.

7. I need a letter to confirm my enrolment at Western Sydney University The College. Who do I contact for this?

Please send an email from your student email account to requesting a certified letter to confirm your enrolment at The College. An electronic copy of the certified letter will be sent to your student email account. Please note that the document is considered to be an original in its electronic format.

8. What can a First Year Experience Coordinator (FYEC) help me with?

Your FYEC will be able to provide you with academic advice to support your learning at The College. This may include guidance on your pattern of study, the provision of information about learning support strategies, advice about reducing your study load and much more.

9. What kind of support classes does The College provide?

The College runs weekly Study Lounge support classes. To see what classes are available at your campus, you can view the Learning Centre timetable on the student noticeboard.

10. What is census? What does it mean?

Census date is the official deadline for finalising your enrolment and fees for each teaching session.

Once this date has passed, you are committed to the units you're enrolled in. This means you will be charged tuition fees and receive a grade for all your enrolled units. If you drop any units after this date you will still need to pay tuition fees and will receive an absent fail grade.

If you don't provide your Tax File Number (TFN) or pay your fees by the census date, your enrolment will be cancelled. For further details please see the Important Dates page.

11. How do I submit my assessment tasks?

Each of your units may have different assessment submission requirements. Please check the learning guide for further information or speak with your unit teacher for specific instruction.

12. If I am unable to submit an assessment task on time or have missed an exam, what should I do?

You may be eligible to apply for special consideration. You can apply for Special Consideration when circumstances beyond your control impact adversely on your performance. For further information, please refer to the Special Consideration Policy.

13. What is Special Consideration?

Special Consideration is given to students whose performance during the teaching session, in an assignment or in an exam, has been affected by serious misadventure, accident or extenuating circumstances beyond their control. Applying for and receiving special consideration means that those circumstances may be taken into account when we calculate your grade. Please refer to the Special Consideration Policy for more information.

14. How do I apply for special consideration?

You will need to submit an Application for Special Consideration at the Student Centre along with supporting documentation which demonstrates the severity and/or gravity and timing of the circumstance which has affected your academic performance.

You can download a copy of the relevant application form and view the Special Consideration Policy.

15. What should I do if I find a unit challenging?

Speak with the unit teacher to isolate why the unit is challenging and discuss learning strategies that will help you to succeed. You can also seek assistance from the multiple support services available at the college including the learning centre, library, vUWS, Your Tutor and various life and study skills workshops.

If you find your course challenging, we encourage you to make an appointment with your FYEC.

16. I am facing non-academic barriers (personal barriers) to study. Is there someone I can speak to?

If you are facing personal barriers to study, The College have Welfare Officers on each of our campuses that can offer assistance and provide referrals to a range of free student support services. To make an appointment with the Welfare Officers on your home campus, please contact Student Central on 1300 668 370 or email

17. If my attendance falls below 80%, will my progression be affected?

All students are advised to maintain a minimum overall attendance percentage of 80% or above every term. If you are concerned about your ability to meet this requirement or the impact your attendance percentage may have on your progression, you can organise an appointment to discuss this with the First Year Experience Coordinator (FYEC) for your course. Please contact Student Central on 1300 668 370 or email

Please refer to the Attendance Policy for more information on attendance requirements.

18. I have received an Attendance Warning Letter, what do I need to do?

If you have received an Attendance Warning Letter, you are required to make an appointment with your FYEC, to discuss your attendance as soon as possible.

19. When will my results be released and where can I view them?

You will receive a notification from The College indicating when your results have been released. To access your results, log into MySR via the MyC3 student portal and select Course and Unit details. Then select Units for Course to view your results.

20. What will happen if I fail a unit?

If you fail one or more units in a term, you will need to make an appointment to discuss your progression with your FYEC. Your FYEC will discuss possible learning strategies with you and advise you on the units that you will need to enrol in for the next term. Please contact Student Central. You can find out more by reading the Progression Policy under The College's Policies page.

21. I would like to transfer to a different campus, how should I go about this?

Make an appointment with your FYEC who will explain the process.

Please note that there is no guarantee that campus transfer requests will be approved.

22. The course I am currently enrolled in is not suitable for me, can I change courses?

Make an appointment with your FYEC who will explain the process.

Please note that there is no guarantee that a course transfer requests will be approved.