Study Smart Officers
Library Study Smart Officers can help you with your academic writing and study skills. This is a SSAF-funded service so it’s free to you.
Due to the COVID-19 situation, Officers are available for 30-minute sessions via Zoom only.
For Autumn and College Term 1, 2021, the service will be available from Monday 1st March to Friday 4th June.
To make an appointment
As places are limited, please only book one appointment at a time. After you have met with a Study Smart Officer, you may book another appointment.
- Go to the Study Smart Officer appointment booking page (opens in a new window). You may need to log in to Office 365 with your Western ID. You may not be able to get an appointment on the same day. You must use your student email address. Please check you have typed it correctly before submitting the form.
- Check your student email for your booking confirmation. The Study Smart Officer will also send you a Zoom link in a separate email. You may need to wait a few hours.
- Check the instructions to get started with Zoom (opens in a new window) and ensure you have Zoom loaded on your device. If you want to show your work to the Study Smart Officer, you will be able to 'Share screen' using Zoom. But to do this, open Zoom from the same device that you have your work saved on. Using Zoom on your phone may not be useful for this purpose.
To change or cancel your appointment
- Search your email for ‘Study Smart’ to find your confirmation email.
- Click on the ‘Manage booking’ link in the email
- Choose ‘Reschedule’ or ‘Cancel booking’. If you want to reschedule, you will be asked to choose a new time.
- Check your email for a confirmation of your changed booking or cancellation.
During your session, your Officer might offer to refer you for a personalised skills development session - feel free to ask them about it.
Check the FAQs (opens in a new window) to find out what you need to prepare for your Study Smart Officer session and check what type of help a Study Smart Officer can give you.
Study Smart Officer hours
The times below apply to Weeks 1 and 2 of Autumn and College Term 1, 2021. Check back for extended hours starting in Week 3.
|Monday||9.00am - 12.00pm|
|Tuesday||10.00am - 2.00pm|
|Wednesday||11.00am - 3.00pm|
|Thursday||1.00pm - 5.00pm|
|Friday||12.00pm - 4.00pm|
Last updated: Friday 19th February, 2021.
Role of the Study Smart Officer
Study Smart Officers do:
Study Smart Officers do not:
Work with you to help develop new academic reading and writing skills, and to develop new techniques for interpreting assignment questions
Tell you how to answer an assignment question
Help you learn how to spot and fix errors in your writing
Proofread or edit your work
Provide tips for planning your assignment
Give you a plan for your assignment
Advise on how to structure your assignment
Advise on subject specific information
Show you techniques for developing a convincing academic argument
Write sentences or paragraphs for you