Professor Sheree Smith
School of Nursing and Midwifery
Professor Sheree Smith is an internationally recognised researcher in respiratory care and leads a program of acute care and primary health services research. Sheree founded and leads the Lung, Sleep and Heart Health Research Network. Professor Smith is committed to developing and conducting high quality innovative research that results in improved patient outcomes through developing, testing and implementing sustainable models of care and cost effective interventions. In particular Sheree’s studies are focused on patient reported outcomes and experience measurement methods, emergency care, respiratory viral infections, and integrated respiratory care. Professor Smith is a member of the South West Emergency Research Institute (SWERI), the SPHERE Respiratory Sleep, Environmental and Occupational Health Research Clinical Academic Group, and Western Sydney University’s Translational Health Research Institute (THRI).
Sheree has received national and international research awards including the inaugural Co-operative Research Centre for Asthma and Asthma Australia PhD top-up scholarship and the first international Post-doctoral Capability Bursary to the University of Oxford’s Department of Primary Health Care and Centre for Evidence Based Medicine. In 2009 Sheree was awarded the Millennium Bursary from the Worshipful Company of Curriers for COPD intermediate care research whilst working at St Mary’s Hospital, Department of Respiratory Infection and Medicine’s Imperial Clinical Respiratory Research Unit. Sheree has a postgraduate certificate in Health Economics from the University of Aberdeen. In 2010 Professor Smith completed a bespoke project for the UK’s National Institute of Health Research (NIHR) and she developed organisational models for health care facilities to improve the completion of NIHR portfolio studies and enhance the capacity and capability of research support staff. The models have been implemented across various hospital and health care services in England. Sheree has been awarded over 2 million dollars in competitive funding as an individual or part of a research team.
Professor Smith is a member of four global respiratory, sleep and critical care organisations; Thoracic Society of Australia & New Zealand, Asia Pacific Society of Respiratory, European Respiratory Society (ERS) and American Thoracic Society (ATS). She is a member of the ERS College of Experts and the ATS International Nurses Committee who are currently defining the international nursing research priorities for Lung Health, Sleep and Critical Care. Sheree is the non-medical chair of the NSW Ministry of Health’s Agency for Clinical Innovation Respiratory Network. Professor Smith has been a NHMRC panel member and continues to review grant and fellowship applications for numerous funding bodies around the globe such as NHMRC, NIHR (UK), Asthma (UK), Medical Research Foundation (UK), European Science Foundation and the Portuguese Agency for Science and Technology Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, I.P. (FCT) . Sheree was an external advisory board member of NIHR North West London’s Collaborative Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care (CLAHRC) based within Imperial College London, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital Trust and a Healthcare Prioritisation panel member for the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council UK. Professor Smith is currently an editorial board member of the Annals of ATS Journal.
This information has been contributed by Professor Smith.
- PhD Queensland University of Technology
- M.SocPlan & Dev University of Queensland
- B.Nursing Queensland University of Technology
- European Respiratory Society (2006 - 2019)
- Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand (1987 - 2019)
- American Thoracic Society (2004 - 2019)
- Health Behaviour Associated with Infection
- Health Education and Clinical Interventions Associated with Respiratory Conditions
- Respiratory health service delivery in acute and community settings
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- School of Nursing and Midwifery
|Phone:||(02) 4620 3532|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 401086 Writing for Publication, 2017
Chapters in Books
- Smith, S., Isenring, L., Rice, V., Baker, M., Thompson-Butel, A., Mitchell, G., Bissett, M., Zakrzewski, L., Lenson, S., Gallego, G., Wright, A., Hughes, M., Gallagher, H. and Kenny, B. (2018), 'Partnerships in collaborative care', Living with Chronic Illness and Disability: Principles for Nursing Practice, Elsevier 9780729542616.
- Smith, S., James, A., Mitchell, G., Bissett, M., Zakrzewski, L., Wright, A., Balandin, S., Lincoln, M. and Hughes, M. (2014), 'Role of the interdisciplinary/multidisciplinary team', Chronic Illness and Disability: Principles for Nursing Practice, Elsevier 9780729541619.
- Waterer, G. and Smith, S. (2014), 'Controlling epidemic of human respiratory viral infections', Human Respiratory Viral Infections, CRC Press 9781466583207.
- Smith, S. (2010), 'Training with Technology', Treatment Strategies - Respiratory, The Cambridge Research Centre .
- Smith, S., Chaudhary, K. and Blackstock, F. (2019), 'Concordant evidence-based interventions in cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation guidelines', Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention, vol 39, no 1 , pp 9 - 18.
- Smith, S., Gullick, J., Ballard, J. and Perry, L. (2018), 'Clinician researcher career pathway for registered nurses and midwives : a proposal', International Journal of Nursing Practice, vol 24, no 3 .
- Smith, S., Gullick, J., Ballard, J. and Perry, L. (2018), 'A proposed clinical research support career pathway for noninvestigators', International Journal of Nursing Practice, vol 24, no 3 .
- Gullick, J. and Smith, S. (2018), 'A call for a stronger articulation of education and role delineation for nurse researchers', International Journal of Nursing Practice, vol 24, no 3 .
- Metcalfe, L., McNally, S. and Smith, S. (2017), 'A review of inpatient ward location and the relationship to Medical Emergency Team calls', International Emergency Nursing, vol 31 , pp 52 - 57.
- Beasley, R., Chien, J., Douglas, J., Eastlake, L., Farah, C., King, G., Moore, R., Pilcher, J., Richards, M., Smith, S. and Walters, H. (2017), 'Target oxygen saturation range : 92-96% versus 94-98%', Respirology, vol 22, no 1 , pp 200 - 202.
- Johnson, A. and Smith, S. (2017), 'A review of general pain measurement tools and instruments for consideration of use in COPD clinical practice', The International Journal of COPD, vol 2017, no 12 , pp 923 - 929.
- Sasko, L., Dixon, K. and Smith, S. (2017), 'A study protocol for assessing nurses knowledge of the five moments for hand hygiene (5MHH) program', Respirology, vol 22, no S3 , pp 266 - 266.
- Johnson, A. and Smith, S. (2016), 'Respiratory clinical guidelines inform ward-based nurses' clinical skills and knowledge required for evidence-based care', Breathe, vol 12, no 3 , pp 257 - 266.
- Evans, L., Bell, D. and Smith, S. (2016), 'Resilience in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and chronic heart failure', Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases, vol 1, no 3 .
- Smith, S., Sonego, S., Cheng, A., Wallen, G., Waterer, G. and Thompson, P. (2016), 'A narrative review of influenza educational interventions for adult patients who attend the emergency department', Journal of Infectious Pulmonary Diseases, vol 2, no 2 .
- Smith, S., Sonego, S., Wallen, G., Waterer, G., Cheng, A. and Thompson, P. (2015), 'Use of non-pharmaceutical interventions to reduce the transmission of influenza in adults : a systematic review', Respirology, vol 20, no 6 , pp 896 - 903.
- Beasley, R., Chien, J., Douglas, J., Eastlake, L., Farah, C., King, G., Moore, R., Pilcher, J., Richards, M., Smith, S. and Walters, H. (2015), 'Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand oxygen guidelines for acute oxygen use in adults : 'swimming between the flags'', Respirology, vol 20, no 8 , pp 1182 - 1191.
- Smith, S., Sumar, B. and Dixon, K. (2014), 'Musculoskeletal pain in overweight and obese children', International Journal of Obesity, vol 38 , pp 11 - 15.
- Rashleigh, R., Smith, S. and Roberts, N. (2014), 'A review of halotherapy for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease', International Journal of COPD, vol 9 , pp 239 - 246.
- Smith, S., Sonego, S., Ketcheson, L. and Larson, J. (2014), 'A review of the effectiveness of psychological interventions used for anxiety and depression in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease', BMJ Open Respiratory Research, vol 2014, no 1 .
- Welding, T. and Smith, S. (2013), 'Patient-reported outcomes (PROs) and patient-reported outcome measures (PROMs)', Health Services Insights, vol 6 , pp 61 - 68.
- Roberts, N., Kerr, S. and Smith, S. (2013), 'Behavioural interventions associated with smoking cessation in the treatment of tobacco use', Health Services Insights, vol 6 , pp 79 - 85.
- Atlantis, E., Fahey, P., Cochrane, B. and Smith, S. (2013), 'Bidirectional associations between clinically relevant depression or anxiety and COPD', Chest, vol 144, no 3 , pp 766 - 777.
- Atlantis, E., Fahey, P., Cochrane, B., Wittert, G. and Smith, S. (2013), 'Endogenous testosterone level and testosterone supplementation therapy in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) : a systematic review and meta-analysis', BMJ Open, vol 3, no 8 .
- Smith, S., Bell, D., Hopkinson, N., Valentine, J., Shaw, E., Partridge, M. and Elkini, S. (2011), 'A review of discharge planning for people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease at high risk for readmission', Clinical Medicine, vol 11, no 5 , pp 510 - 511.
- Smith, S., Brame, A., Kulinskaya, E. and Elkin, S. (2011), 'Telemonitoring and Intermediate Care', CHEST, vol 139 , pp 731 - 732.
- Smith, S., Brame, A., Kulinskaya, E. and Elkin, S. (2011), 'Telemonitoring and intermediate care', Chest, vol 139, no 3 , pp 731 - 732.
- O'Byrne, L. and Smith, S. (2010), 'Models to enhance research capacity and capability in clinical nurses : a narrative review', Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol 20, no 9-10 , pp 1365 - 1371.
- Smith, S. (2010), 'A prologue to the Respirology Tuberculosis Review Series 2010 : impact of tuberculosis on patients : learning from the past?', Respirology, vol 15, no 1 , pp 1 - 3.
- Powrie, K. and Smith, S. (2010), 'Oxygen for adults guideline : a change in oxygen therapy?', Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol 19, no 5 , pp 601 - 602.
- Smith, S., Elkin, S. and Partridge, M. (2009), 'Technology and its role in respiratory care', Primary Care Respiratory Journal, vol 18, no 3 , pp 159 - 164.
- Smith, S. and Partridge, M. (2009), 'Getting the rehabilitation message across : emerging barriers and positive health benefits', European Respiratory Journal, vol 34, no 1 , pp 218 - 4.
- Smith, S., Mitchell, C., Bowler, S., Heneghan, C. and Perera, R. (2009), 'The clinical and health behaviour characteristics of ambulance users with acute asthma', Emergency Medicine Journal, vol 26, no 3 , pp 187 - 192.
- Smith, S. (2009), 'An emergency oxygen guideline', Arab Health, , no 4 , pp 20 - 21.
- Smith, S. (2009), 'A review of hand-washing techniques in primary care and community settings', Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol 105, no 10 , pp 786 - 790.
- Smith, S., Roberts, S., Duggen-Brennan, M., Powrie, K. and Haffenden, R. (2009), 'Emergency oxygen delivery in adults 1: updating nursing practice.', Nursing Times, vol 105, no 10 , pp 16 - 18.
- Smith, S., Roberts, S., Duggen-Brennan, M., Powrie, K. and Haffenden, R. (2009), 'Emergency Oxygen Delivery: Part 2', Nursing Times, vol 105, no 11 , pp 22 - 23.
- Smith, S., Mitchell, C. and Bowler, S. (2008), 'Standard versus patient centred asthma education in the emergency department : a randomised study', European Respiratory Journal, vol 31, no 5 , pp 990 - 997.
- Smith, S., Mitchell, C. and Bowler, S. (2007), 'Patient-centered education: applying learner-centered concepts to asthma education', Journal of Asthma, vol 44, no 10 , pp 799 - 804.
- Edwards, H., Smith, S., Courtney, M., Finlayson, K. and Chapman, H. (2004), 'The impact of clinical placement location on nursing students' competence and preparedness for practice', Nurse Education Today, vol 24, no 4 , pp 248 - 255.
- Courtney, M., Edwards, H., Smith, S. and Finlayson, K. (2001), 'The impact of a rural clinical placement on student nurses employment intentions', Collegian, vol 9, no 1 , pp 13 - 18.
- Smith, S. (2001), 'Factors influencing student Nurses in their choice of a rural clinical placement site', Rural and Remote Health: International Electronic Journal of Rural and Remote Health Research, Education Practice and Policy, .
|Title:||COPD Patient driven Actions within a Concordant Evidence based agenda in Primary Care (COPD PACE in Primary Care) [via UNSW]|
|Western Researchers:||Sheree Smith|
|Years:||2019-02-22 - 2020-02-22|
|Title:||Effective andvalid social and surgical hand-washing techniques for world class infection control.|
|Western Researchers:||Sheree Smith|
|Years:||2013-01-30 - 2013-11-30|
|Title:||Establishment of a Respiratory, Sleep and Environmental Health Research Academic Unit [via Liverpool Hospital - no funding to UWS]|
|Western Researchers:||Sheree Smith|
|Years:||2015-07-10 - 2018-07-09|
Professor Smith is available to be a principal supervisor for doctoral projects
|Thesis Title:||Exploring the '5 Moments' for Hand Hygiene Program in the Australian Setting Defining what is Engaging Clinicians, Investigating Drivers of Clinician Behaviour, Enablers and Disablers to Hand Hygiene|
|Field of Research:|