Professor Deborah Hatcher
Dean - School of Nursing & Midwifery,
Dean's Unit - School of Nursing and Midwifery
School of Nursing and Midwifery
Professor Deborah Hatcher is the Dean of the School of Nursing and Midwifery and Provost of the Parramatta South campus. Deborah is a registered nurse and experienced academic with 30 years of program co-ordination and teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate level, in Australia, Hong Kong and Singapore. Deborah’s research and scholarly interests include ageing and aged care, chronic illness and primary health care. She continues to supervise BN (Honours), Masters of Research and PhD students. Deborah is regularly invited to review domestic and overseas nursing programs given her extensive experience in curriculum development and quality assurance.
Professor Hatcher is a member of several local health district research and education committees, a member of the Australian College of Nursing and is a member of the Executive Council of Deans of Nursing and Midwifery.
This information has been contributed by Professor Hatcher.
- PhD University of Western Sydney
- MHPEd University of New South Wales
- BHSc University of Western Sydney, Hawkesbury
- DipTeach Australian College of Physical Education
- Australian College of Nursing (2002 - 2020)
- Finalist - Hawkesbury Alumni Awards 2016-04-12
- Aged care
- Chronic illness
- Grounded theory and other qualitative research methods
- Primary Health Care
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Dean's Unit - School of Nursing and Midwifery
- School of Nursing and Midwifery
|Phone:||(02) 9685 9817|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Chapters in Books
- Hatcher, D. and Dixon, K. (2019), 'Understanding organisational culture in the community health setting', Transitions in Nursing (5th ed.), Elsevier 9780729543040.
- Hatcher, D. and Dixon, K. (2017), 'Healthy ageing and the older person', Caring for Older People in Australia: Principles for Nursing Practice, John Wiley & Sons 9780730328346.
- Hatcher, D. and Dixon, K. (2016), 'Understanding organisational culture in the community health setting', Transitions in Nursing: Preparing for Professional Practice (4th ed.), Elsevier 9780729542111.
- Hatcher, D. and Dixon, K. (2014), 'Primary healthcare and the older person', Caring for Older People in Australia: Principles for Nursing Practice, Wiley & Sons 9781118384121.
- Hatcher, D. and Dixon, K. (2013), 'Promoting sleep', Living with Dementia: a Practical Guide for Families and Personal Carers, Acer Press 9781742860442.
- Johnson, A., Hatcher, D. and Dixon, K. (2012), 'Understanding organisational culture in the community health setting', Transitions in Nursing: Preparing for Professional Practice (3rd ed.), Elsevier 9780729540827.
- Kabil, G., Frost, S., Hatcher, D., Shetty, A., Foster, J. and McNally, S. (2022), 'Early fluid bolus in adults with sepsis in the emergency department : a systematic review, meta-analysis and narrative synthesis', BMC Emergency Medicine, vol 22, no 1 .
- Kabil, G., Hatcher, D., Alexandrou, E. and McNally, S. (2021), 'Emergency nurses' experiences of the implementation of early goal directed fluid resuscitation therapy in the management of sepsis : a qualitative study', Australasian Emergency Care, vol 24, no 1 , pp 67 - 72.
- Watson, K. and Hatcher, D. (2021), 'Factors influencing management of agitation in aged care facilities : a qualitative study of staff perceptions', Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol 30, no 1-2 , pp 136 - 144.
- Garrido, S., Markwell, H., Andreallo, F. and Hatcher, D. (2021), 'Benefits, challenges and solutions for implementing personalised music playlist programs in residential aged care in Australia', Journal of Multidisciplinary Healthcare, vol 2021, no 14 , pp 1193 - 1204.
- Watson, K., Hatcher, D. and Good, A. (2020), 'Influencing factors that support and build aged care research capacity : staff perspectives', Collegian, vol 27, no 1 , pp 34 - 39.
- Northall, T., Chang, E., Hatcher, D. and Nicholls, D. (2020), 'The application and tailoring of Colaizzi's phenomenological approach to a hospital setting', Nurse Researcher, vol 28, no 2 , pp 20 - 25.
- Meller, N., Parker, D., Hatcher, D. and Sheehan, A. (2019), 'Grief experiences of nurses after the death of an adult patient in an acute hospital setting : an integrative review of literature', Collegian, vol 26, no 2 , pp 302 - 310.
- McNally, S., McNally, T., Hatcher, D., O'Reilly, R. and Keedle, H. (2019), 'Student perceptions, experiences and support within their current Bachelor of Nursing', Nurse Education Today, vol 76 , pp 56 - 61.
- Watson, K., Hatcher, D. and Good, A. (2019), 'A randomised controlled trial of Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia) and Lemon Balm (Melissa Officinalis) essential oils for the treatment of agitated behaviour in older people with and without dementia', Complementary Therapies in Medicine, vol 42 , pp 366 - 373.
- Hatcher, D., Chang, E., Schmied, V. and Garrido, S. (2019), 'Exploring the perspectives of older people on the concept of home', Journal of Aging Research, vol 2019 .
- Hatcher, D., Chang, E., Schmied, V. and Garrido, S. (2019), 'Holding momentum : a grounded theory study of strategies for sustaining living at home in older persons', International Journal of Qualitative Studies on Health and Well-being, vol 14, no 1 .
- Eigenmann, C., Skinner, T., Hatcher, D. and Dixon, K. (2019), 'Validation of the Summary of Self-Care Behaviour (SSCB) Scale', Australian Diabetes Educator, vol 21, no 1 .
- Mackey, S., Kwok, C., Anderson, J., Hatcher, D., Laver, S., Dickson, C. and Stewart, L. (2018), 'Australian student nurse's knowledge of and attitudes toward primary health care : a cross-sectional study', Nurse Education Today, vol 60 , pp 127 - 132.
- Meller, N., Hatcher, D., Parker, D. and Sheehan, A. (2018), 'Working with grief : experiences of nurses working in acute hospital settings after the death of a patient in their care', Australian Nursing and Midwifery Journal, vol 25, no 11 , pp 37 - 37.
- Kabil, G., Alexandrou, E., Hatcher, D. and McNally, S. (2018), 'Reading between the lines of an adult sepsis pathway : why and how nurses can initiate change', Australian Nursing and Midwifery Journal, vol 26, no 1 , pp 25 - 25.
- Jefferies, D. and Hatcher, D. (2018), 'Developing person-centered care through the biographies of the older adult', Journal of Nursing Education, vol 57, no 12 , pp 742 - 746.
- Jansson, M., Dixon, K. and Hatcher, D. (2017), 'The palliative care experiences of adults living in regional and remote areas of Australia : a literature review', Contemporary Nurse, vol 53, no 1 , pp 94 - 104.
- Pillay, R., Alexander, S., Hatcher, D., Mackey, S., Shahid, S., Holden, L. and Kwok, C. (2016), 'Factors influencing cancer treatment decision-making by indigenous peoples : a systematic review', Psycho-Oncology, vol 25, no 2 , pp 131 - 141.
- Jansson, M., Dixon, K. and Hatcher, D. (2015), 'Palliative care experiences in regional NSW', Australian Nursing and Midwifery Journal, vol 23, no 4 , pp 39 - 39.
- Mackey, S., Hatcher, D., Happell, B. and Cleary, M. (2013), 'Primary health care as a philosophical and practical framework for nursing education : rhetoric or reality?', Contemporary Nurse, vol 45, no 1 , pp 79 - 84.
- Hatcher, D., Macdonald, J., Bauer, C. and Wilson, C. (1999), 'Hope, who needs it? : a study of hope in older people in a residential care facility', Geriaction, vol 17, no 2 , pp 6 - 12.
- Wright, C., Frew, T. and Hatcher, D. (1998), 'Social and demographic characteristics of young and mature aged nursing students in Australian universities', Nurse Education Today, vol 18, no 2 , pp 101 - 107.
- Bartlett, M., Hatcher, D., Johnson, A. and Dixon, K. (1997), 'Total quality management in accredited New South Wales hospitals : a public/private comparison', Australian Health Review, vol 20, no 4 , pp 49 - 59.
- Ross, P., Clear, M., Dixon, K., Bartlett, M., Johnson, A., Wheldon, B. and Hatcher, D. (1996), 'Total quality mangement practices in the NSW hospital system : an overview', Australian Health Review, vol 19, no 1 , pp 40 - 51.
- Wright, C., Frew, T., Hatcher, D. and Mok, M. (1996), 'The social and demographic characteristics of direct and delay entry nursing students in Australian universities', Higher Education Research and Development, vol 15, no 2 , pp 239 - 248.
- Wright, C. and Hatcher, D. (1991), 'The demographic profile of nursing students in Queensland : a comparison between higher education and hospital recruits', The Australian Educational Researcher, vol 18, no 3 , pp 43 - 52.
|Title:||Personalising Care of People with Dementia Through Music: Development and Evaluation of a Training Program for Aged Care Workers|
|Western Researchers:||Sandra Garrido and Deborah Hatcher|
|Years:||2020-03-01 - 2022-09-01|
|Thesis Title:||Promoting Resilience and Healthy Aging post an acute hospital admission|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Working with Grief. How Registered Nurses Adapt Personally and Professionally in the Acute Care Setting.|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Lavandula Angustifolia and Melissa Officinalis for Agitation Management in Older Adults: A Mixed Methods Study|
|Field of Research:||Other Health; Nursing|
|Thesis Title:||Exploring the experiences of undergraduate nursing students on nutrition with older people: A mixed method study|
|Field of Research:||Mothercraft Nursing And Family And Child Health Nursing; Aged Care Nursing|
|Thesis Title:||Emergency Nurses' Experience of the Implementation of Early Goal-Directed Fluid Resuscitation Therapy in the Management of Sepsis|
|Field of Research:||Nursing|