Ms Katrina Sandbach
DAP - Design (Viscom),
Katrina Sandbach is the Director of Academic Program for the Bachelor of Design (Visual Communication) program in the School of Humanities and Communication Arts.
A designer and academic with a background in brand communication design, Katrina brings to her teaching the practical skills of applied research, design production, and project management. Katrina has taught widely across the design program, with an emphasis on studio skills and professional practice, and now coordinates one of the capstone units Professional Design Studio (Rabbit Hole). Her approach to curriculum design is focused on inclusive, student-centered learning, and facilitating the development of design communities of practice.
Her research draws heavily from her own professional design practice, as well as her long history with WesternU and Greater Western Sydney, and enriches her ongoing teaching practice. She is particularly interested in how visual communication affects place, and peri-urban creative industries. In addition to part-time PhD candidature, she is involved in collaborative research projects such as Invisible City and RErights.
This information has been contributed by Ms Sandbach.
- BA University of Western Sydney,Nepean
- AGDA (2010)
- Design Research Society (2009)
- Vice Chancellors Excellence in Teaching Award 2011-11-01
- Three Minute Thesis, First Place, College of Arts Final 2010-08-01
- Three Minute Thesis, Third Place, University of Western Sydney Final 2010-09-01
- Creative communities
- Creative practice in Greater Western Sydney
- Learning space design in design education
- Place identity
- Professional practice
- Typography and place
- Visual identity
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Design (SoHCA)
- Design (SoHCA)
- Research Events and Development sub-committee
- Initiating Change by Design working party
- Bachelor of Design Alumni working party
- Bachelor of Design Undergraduate Review working party
|Phone:||(02) 9685 4663|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 100796 Typography for Print and Screen, 2008
- 100796 Typography for Print and Screen, 2009
- 100947 Design Thinking, 2008
- 100947 Design Thinking, 2009
- 100950 Professional Practice: Design Management, 2009
- 100950 Professional Practice: Design Management, 2010
- 100950 Professional Practice: Design Management, 2011
- 101013 Publications, 2013
- 101090 Design Project, 2008
- 101090 Design Project, 2009
- 101090 Design Project, 2013
- 101540 Introduction to Typography, 2009
- 101540 Introduction to Typography, 2010
- 101540 Introduction to Typography, 2011
- 101540 Introduction to Typography, 2012
- 101540 Introduction to Typography, 2013
- 101876 Reflective Design Practice, 2012
- 101876 Reflective Design Practice, 2013
- 101883 Professional Design Studio, 2010
- 101883 Professional Design Studio, 2011
- 101883 Professional Design Studio, 2012
- 101883 Professional Design Studio, 2013
- Deitz, M., Notley, T., Cantanzaro, M., Third, A. and Sandbach, K. (2018), 'Emotion mapping : using participatory media to support young people's participation in urban design', Emotion Space and Society, vol 28 , pp 9 - 17.
- Sandbach, K. (2015), 'Magnetic learning space through design', International Journal of Design Education, vol 8, no 3-4 , pp 17 - 28.
- Pink, S., Catanzaro, M., Sandbach, K., Barnes, A., Mcneill, J., Gusheh, M., Scotece, E. and Catanzaro, C. (2015), 'Making and sharing the commons : reimagaining 'the West' as Riverlands, Sydney through a dialogue between design and ethnography', Global Media Journal: Australian Edition, vol 9, no 2 .
- Sandbach, K. (2015), 'Creative outsiders : creative industries in Greater Western Sydney', Global Media Journal: Australian Edition, vol 9, no 2 .
- Edwards-Vandenhoek, S. and Sandbach, K. (2014), 'Down the Rabbit Hole we go : evaluating the impacts of a situated design pedagogy', Studies in Material Thinking, vol 11 .
- Sandbach, K. (2013), ''Westies' no more : towards a more inclusive and authentic place identity', Cescontexto: Debates, vol 2, no June , pp 724 - 732.
- Sandbach, K. (2011), 'Graphic Design and the Aesthetics of Place', Irridescent, vol 1, no 2 , pp 148 - 159.
- Gill, A., Sandbach, K., Harkus, S. and Abbott, O. (2017), 'The Blow Breathe Cough campaign : a learning partnership to develop a message about healthy hearing', Our Languages Matter Symposium, Western Sydney University, Parramatta, N.S.W..
- Edwards-Vandenhoek, S. and Sandbach, K. (2013), 'Down the Rabbit Hole : a situated approach to design education that facilitates socially responsible emergent designers', Proceedings from the 2nd International Conference for Design Education Researchers, Oslo, Norway.
- Sandbach, K. (2011), 'Graphic Design and the Aesthetics of Place', agIdeas Design for Business and Industry, Melbourne, Vic..
- 2016, 'The Absence of Femininity'
- 2016, 'InWesternSydney', Published Work
- 2015, 'Invisible City Project Website', Published Work
- 2012, 'One Kilometre : Conversations with Darri-Ba Nungalinya', Published Work
Katrina's PhD thesis uses an action research approach to explore a different view of Greater Western Sydney that foregrounds creative communities and participatory approaches to community-building, reframing what it means to be a ‘Westie’ in a rapidly growing region.
In addition to the research outcomes listed in 'Publications', Katrina has presented the following conference papers:
Sandbach, K. 2016. 'Envisioning Research'. Crossroads in Cultural Studies Conference, Sydney University, Australia, 14-17 December 2016
Sandbach, K. 2016. 'The Other Creatives'. Australian & New Zealand Communication Association 2016, School of Design, Communication and IT, the Faculty of Science and IT, Newcastle University, Australia, 6-8 July 2016
Catanzaro, M., Sandbach K. 2015. 'Learning Through Community Engagement: The Rabbit Hole Fourth Year Studio as Design 'Lab''. Designing for Learning Showcase, Western Sydney University, Australia, 3 December 2015
Sandbach, K. 2015. 'Higher Education & the Creative Cluster'. Blue-Lab Creative Industries Symposium, Blue Mountains Cultural Centre, Australia, 20-21 May 2015
Sandbach, K. 2014. ‘Creative Fringe’. Interventions and Intersections, School of Humanities and Communication Arts, University of Western Sydney, Australia, 9-11 July 2014
Sandbach, K. 2014. ‘Places for Learning and Practising Design’. Institute of Australian Geographers/New Zealand Geographical Society Conference, Melbourne University, Australia, 30 June-2 July 2014
Sandbach, K. 2014. ‘Creative Fringe: A Place for Creative Industries in Western Sydney’. Initiating Change by Design, School of Humanities and Communication Arts, University of Western Sydney, Australia, 23-24 April 2014
Sandbach, K. 2013. ‘Magnetic Learning Space through Design’, Interventions and Intersections, School of Humanities and Communication Arts, University of Western Sydney, Australia, 26-28 June 2013
Sandbach, K. 2011. ‘Graphic Design’s Agency in Place’, Mapping Ecologies of Place: Local, Virtual Digital, University of Western Sydney, Australia, 16-17 June 2011
Sandbach, K. 2011. ‘Re-thinking UWS Learning Spaces with Bachelor of Design Students’, Interventions and Intersections, College of Arts, University of Western Sydney, Australia, 7-8 June 2011
This information has been contributed by Ms Sandbach.
|Title:||Young and Resilient Living Lab Foundation Project|
|Western Researchers:||Amanda Third, Philippa Collin, Liam Magee, Tanya Notley, Louise Crabtree, Katrina Sandbach, Michelle Catanzaro, Peter Bansel, Nida Denson and Milissa Deitz|
|Years:||2016-12-05 - 2018-06-30|
|Title:||Young and Well Cooperative Research Centre - YAWCRC - Engaging Creativity Through Technologies P2:P2|
|Western Researchers:||Amanda Third, Kerry Robinson, Nida Denson, Peter Bansel, Tanya Notley, Katrina Sandbach, Michelle Catanzaro and Milissa Deitz|
|Years:||2013-06-25 - 2016-12-25|