Ms Elen Seymour
DAP - ILU/WAC,
School of Law
School of Law
Elen is currently Director Academic Program Interdisciplinary Law Units and Workload Agreement Coordinator in the School of Law, and a Fellow of the Tax Institute.
Elen has worked in tax for nearly two decades after graduating from the University of Sydney with a double degree in Arts and Law. Elen started her tax career with the Australian Taxation Office in their Graduate Program. After completing the Graduate Program, Elen was promoted to a position in the International Tax team in the Sydney office. Elen worked in the Transfer Pricing team on the Transfer Pricing Record Review audit team and assisted the High Wealth Individual Trust review team. Elen was subsequently recruited as a tax consultant by PricewaterhouseCoopers Sydney Australia to work in their Transfer Pricing team predominantly in audit defence work. Elen later transferred to PricewaterhouseCoopers Ottawa, Canada as a Senior Associate in their International Tax continuing to specialise in Transfer Pricing issues and worked with PricewaterhouseCoopers Montreal and Toronto on several projects.
Returning to Australia Elen commenced teaching as a sessional lecturer for the University of Western Sydney (and Wollongong University) in 2003 teaching tax subjects at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Elen also commenced part-time study in a Masters of Law with a tax and administrative law focus at the University of Sydney's Law School, completing her studied in 2008.
In 2010 Elen accepted a full-time position as Lecturer in Taxation Law and Financial Services with the School of Law at UWS.
Elen's research interests encompass regulation and taxation of charities, and the use of technology and social media in legal education. Elen is currently operating the UWS Law School's Twitter account at https://twitter.com/westsydlaw
This information has been contributed by Ms Seymour.
- LLM University of Sydney
- LLB University of Sydney
- BA University of Sydney
- Australasian Tax Teachers Association (2011)
- Taxation Institute of Australia (2013 - 2015)
- Australian Law Teachers Association (2010 - 2012)
- Australian Charity Law Association (2015 - 2015)
- Higher Education
- Legal Education
- Taxation Law,
- Taxation of Charities
- social media
- Tax Administration
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- School of Law
- School of Law
|Phone:||(02) 4620 3647 & 9259|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- AC808A Taxation Planning and Implications, 2006
- LW805A Capital Gains Tax, 2007
- 200186 Advanced Taxation Law, 2008
- 200019 Revenue Law, 2012
- 200187 Taxation Law, 2012
- D1005 Introduction To Law, 2013
- 200814 Commercial Transactions Law, 2014
- 200869 Principles of Taxation, 2015
- 201007 Revenue Law Industry Placement, 2018
Chapters in Books
- Seymour, E. (2019), 'Taxation : strategies for financial planners', Financial Planning in Australia, LexisNexis Butterworths 9780409349047.
- Seymour, E. (2017), 'Taxation : strategies for financial planners', Financial Planning in Australia, LexisNexis Butterworths 9780409342536.
- Seymour, E. (2015), 'Tax strategies', Financial Planning in Australia: Advice and Wealth Management, LexisNexis Butterworths 9780409339376.
- Seymour, E. (2015), 'Taxation : an overview for financial planners', Financial Planning in Australia: Advice and Wealth Management, LexisNexis Butterworths 9780409339376.
- Seymour, E. (2009), 'Taxation - Overview and Income; Deductions, Offsets and Other Taxes and Bringing it All Together: Tax Planning', Financial Planning in Australia, Lexis Nexis Butterworths 9780409325607.
- Martin, F., Barker, S., Nehme, M. and Seymour, E. (2017), 'The rise and fall (?) of two Charities Commissions : how common law countries can learn from the experiences in New Zealand and Australia', New Zealand Universities Law Review, vol 27, no 4B .
- Seymour, E. (2016), 'Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission update', Alternative Law Journal, vol 41, no 1 , pp 66 - 66.
- Seymour, E. and Nehme, M. (2015), 'The ACNC, the Senate, the Commission of Audit and the not-for-profit sector', University of New South Wales Law Journal, vol 38, no 3 , pp 1186 - 1214.
- Seymour, E. (2013), 'Social media and the tax practice', Taxation in Australia, vol 47, no 7 , pp 434 - 437.
- Spencer, L. and Seymour, E. (2013), 'Reading law : motivating digital natives to ?do the reading'', Legal Education Review, vol 23, no 1 , pp 177 - 200.
- Seymour, E. (2012), 'The not-for-profit sector in the 21st century', Alternative Law Journal, vol 37, no 4 , pp 277 - 278.
- Seymour, E. (2010), 'The Henry Review and charitable purpose : workable solutions or another band-aid?', Journal of the Australasian Law Teachers Association, vol 3, no 1&2 , pp 127 - 138.
- Seymour, E. (2013), 'Tax and social media networking', Tasmania State Convention: Tax and Social Media Networking, Launceston, Tasmania.