Mr Mauricio Novoa
I am a designer and academic with 35 years’ experience in the industry (architecture, advertising, communications, industrial product, management and marketing from 2D, 3D and 4D time-based design). Rising from hands-on work to reach creative direction and management roles, I have had the opportunity to look after a varied portfolio of Blue Chip and SME clients both in Australia and abroad, often travelling between cities and countries to lead, design, produce and deliver projects. Highlights on projects for American, Asian, Australian and European companies are in technological innovation (i.e. electronic, construction and building, medical and scientific), durable and fast-moving consumer goods (i.e. commercial and domestic appliances, food packaging, tools, white goods), e-learning and online solutions (i.e. e-commerce, flexible learning, web design), human-centred design, human computer interaction, user experience, simulation and visualization.
As an academic for 14 years, I was Director of Academic Program from 2012 to 2015 (end January) leading our group through discipline transformation, writing the new curriculum, shaping the new vision for our courses and implementing them as to "bringing creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship" to the previous School of Computing, Engineering, and Mathematics. This was a curriculum makeover much-expected after a decade with the support of renowned national and international academics and industry experts. I have taught units in all design streams for the course, from design innovation, management and sustainability, to 2D and 3D CAD software, directed our Honours program and capstone design studios and design research units.
An active research academic since 2007, I currently supervise three PhD candidates in predictive analytics and machine learning for health rehabilitation, mobile technology for education, and co-creative design thinking for transformative learning environments. I have also supervised Master projects in Engineering, as with research on water and energy solutions for rural areas in third world countries. I have carried out a number of research projects either funded by the university or in partnership with industry. I submitted my PhD Thesis to WSU’s Institute for Culture and Society (Globalization and Cultural Economy) titled New Pedagogies for Design: Revaluing the Design Artefact for the Post-Industrial Revolution". Together with industry, I have led projects with industry partners (e.g. REDI Connections focusing on "New Learning and Environment", NSW and Creative Industries Innovation Centre UTS).
As practitioner and member of numerous committees with university and industry, I have obtained national and international acknowledgments for my work in teaching and research from peers in academia and industry. Currently, I am member of the The Design Society UK SIG for Design Sketching and Visualisation, and an Advisory Board Member for the e-Learning & Innovative Pedagogies Research Network, USA. I draw permanently on my professional ongoing experience with especial interest on technological developments that includes its influence on society and culture, design for the other 90%, human environments, human-centred design and sustainability. Additionally, I hold a Master in Design from University of Technology Sydney, Australia and I previously obtained a Bachelor in Visual Arts Degree from Pontifical Catholic University of Santiago, Chile (First Class Honours). My work as an artist has been exhibited nationally and internationally as early as in the touring exhibition "Chilean Artists of the 20th Century", Chile, South America (1984) and later in Australia as in "The Boundary Rider: 9th Biennale of Sydney" (1992/93) and subsequent touring exhibitions.
This information has been contributed by Mr Novoa.
- MDes University of Technology, Sydney
- BA Pontifical Catholic University of Chile
- The Design Society, UK. Steering Committee SIG Sketching and Visualisation (2019)
- E-Learning & Innovative Pedagogies Research. Network. Advisory Board. Illinois University, Urbana-Champaign, USA (2019)
- 2012: OLT Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning (WSU) 2012-09-14
- 2006: United Nations - Chile Ministry of Education Fund. Visiting Academic to University of Technology Chile (UTEM) 2006-06-14
- 2010: Citation. Arts, Design, Media: Dissemination of Innovative Teaching and Learning Practice Report ADM HEA, UK 2010-05-20
- 2016: Best Paper Award International Conference on Educational Technologies. RMIT MElbourne 2016-12-07
- Creative and Critical Thinking
- Cultural Anthropology
- Cultural Economy
- Cultural Studies
- Design Anthropology
- Design Research
- Design for Social Change
- E Learning Design
- Human Centered Design
- Human Computer Interaction
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Knowledge Management as Related to Product and Process Innovation
- Latin America
- Manufacture of production tooling (Rapid Prototyping)
- New and Emerging Materials and Technologies
- Participatory Research and Design
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Industrial Design
- American University of Sharjah, Research Grants Awards, UAE
- iPad - BYOD Trial Project (WSU)
- New Generation Learning Space Committee
- iPals Working Group
- SCEM School Academic Committee
- E-Portfolio Project
|Phone:||(02) 9685 9757|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 300014 Design Management 3: Organisational Skills for Designers, 2017
- 300282 Industrial Graphics 2: Transition, 2008
- 300309 Sustainable Design: Life Cycle Analysis, 2011
- 300312 Industrial Graphics 4: Surface, 2008
- 300313 Design Studio 4: Simulate to Innovate, 2014
- 300314 Designed Inquiry, 2012
- 300462 Engineering and Design Concepts, 2010
- 300597 Master Project 1, 2017
- 300598 Master Project 2, 2017
- 300773 Industrial Design Project (Commencement), 2008
- 300773 Industrial Design Project (Commencement), 2017
- 300774 Industrial Design Project (Completion), 2008
- 300774 Industrial Design Project (Completion), 2017
- 301084 Design Studio 6: Ambience, Place and Behaviour, 2017
- 301090 Contextual Inquiry, 2017
- 301092 Graphics 5: Creative Computing, 2017
- Novoa, M. (2018), 'Innovating industrial design curriculum in a knowledge-based, participatory and digital era', Design and Technology Education, vol 23, no 3 , pp 154 - 204.
- Novoa, M. (2018), 'Industrial design education as innovation broker through making, pivot thinking, autopoiesis and expansive learning', Design and Technology Education, vol 23, no 3 , pp 119 - 152.
- Mubin, O., Novoa, M. and Al Mahmud, A. (2017), 'Infusing technology driven design thinking in industrial design education : a case study', Interactive Technology and Smart Education, vol 14, no 3 , pp 216 - 229.
- Novoa, M. (2017), 'Industrial design and education value among decoupling of innovation from productivity', International Journal of Design Management and Professional Practice, vol 11, no 4 .
- Novoa, M. (2017), 'Technology implications on industrial design and education practitioners : a knowledge class intermediary between people and environment', Design Principles and Practices: An International Journal, vol 11, no 1 , pp 29 - 53.
- Novoa, M. (2010), 'Improving Design Education by International Collaboration, Traditional Skillsets, Discovery and Ubiquitous Learning', Design Principles and Practices, vol 4, no 6 , pp 23 - 40.
- Alsinglawi, B., Alnajjar, F., Mubin, O., Novoa, M., Karajeh, O. and Darwish, O. (2020), 'Benchmarking predictive models in electronic health records : sepsis length of stay prediction', International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications, Caserta, Italy.
- Alsinglawi, B., Alnajjar, F., Mubin, O., Novoa, M., Alorjani, M., Karajeh, O. and Darwish, O. (2020), 'Predicting length of stay for cardiovascular hospitalizations in the intensive care unit : machine learning approach', IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. Annual International Conference, Montreal, Canada.
- Alsinglawi, B., Alnajjar, F., Mubin, O. and Novoa, M. (2019), 'A framework for home-based stroke rehabilitation using interactive games and augmented reality feedback', International Conference on Neurorehabilitation, Pisa, Italy.
- Novoa, M. (2019), 'Do we need a new theory of drawing? : exploration on technological change between physical and digital visualisation', International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education, Glasgow, U.K..
- Novoa, M., Mubin, O. and Apalakis, A. (2018), 'Reflections on an industrial design curriculum paradigm shift from material production to behaviour change by practice based on a case study', International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education, London, England.
- Novoa, M. (2017), 'Industrial design education in a post-industrial age : redefining learning from transmission to transformative and expansive learning', International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation, Seville, Spain.
- Novoa, M. (2017), 'E-portfolio use in the process of critical design and making in design education', International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation, Seville, Spain.
- Mubin, O., Novoa, M., Forrester, J. and Iqbal, R. (2016), 'GiggleBat : enhancing playing and outdoor culture in Australian children', Human Computer Interaction Conference, Bournemouth University.
- Novoa, M., Mubin, O. and Apalakis, A. (2016), 'Persuasive industrial design and human computer interaction in child development for sustainable behaviour and water conservation', International Conference on Engineering Education and Research, Parramatta, N.S.W..
- Mubin, O., Novoa, M. and Al Mahmud, A. (2016), 'Towards the successful integration of design thinking in industrial design education', International Conference on Internet Technologies and Society, Melbourne, Vic..
- Mubin, O., Tubb, J., Novoa, M., Naseem, M. and Razaq, S. (2015), 'Understanding the needs of Pakistani farmers and the prospects of an ICT intervention', CHI Conference, Seoul, Korea.
- Mubin, O., Rutishauser, D., Novoa, M., Wainohu, D. and Shahid, S. (2015), 'Interactive toys in the home : a parents perspective', International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Bamberg, Germany.
- Novoa, M. (2015), 'Connecting people, technology and environment by disrupting design curriculum : highlights on today industrial design vision to raise technology innovators and creative entrepreneurial leaders', International Design Congress, Gwangju, Korea (South).
- Mubin, O., Novoa, M., Ferguson, J. and Taylor, J. (2014), 'Leveraging the design of child restraint systems to reduce driver distraction', CHI Conference, Toronto, Canada.
- Novoa, M. (2014), 'Framework for iPedising higher education : new makers culture for transformative industrial design education', International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation, Seville, Spain.
- Novoa, M. (2014), 'Designers as brokers of meaningful innovation and socio-cultural significance', International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation, Seville, Spain.
- Novoa, M. (2013), 'To ipadise or to ipedise higher education : new learning and the challenge of diversity in users, space, time, devices and formats', International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation, Seville, Spain.
- Novoa, M. (2010), 'Redefining Industrial Design Expertise for Education and Profession Sustainability in the New Knowledge Economy', Connected 2010 International Conference On Design Education , University of New South Wales.
- Riley, S., Novoa, M. and Shrestha, S. (2010), 'Australia - Wet or Dry: technical approaches to water supply in a highly variable climatic and geographic regime', International Seminar 2010: 'Water: challenges of it scarcity?', Universidad Catolica, Santiago, Chile.
- Novoa, M. (2009), 'International Industrial Design Studio project: Design for Development in the Era of Collaborative Networks', 13th International Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work in Design 2009, Santiago, Chile.
- Novoa, M. (2009), 'International Design Studio Project: Australian findings on preparing industrial design students for the emerging economy', 11th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education, Brighton University.
- Novoa, M. (2009), 'Guest Presenter: Some Australian Findings to Date on Preparing Industrial Design Students for the Global Emerging Economy', Studio Teaching Forum: Enriching Creative Arts Learning, Hobart, Tasmania.
- Shrestha, S., Riley, S., Novoa, M. and Essery, C. (2008), 'Penrith Campus Wetlands - Model for Water Recycling and Reuse', 11th International Conference on Wetland Systems Technology in Water Pollution Control, Vikram University, Ujjain, MP, INDIA.
- Novoa, M. (2008), 'International collaborative design studio project : preparing industrial design students for the global emerging economy, part 3', New Perspectives in Design Education. 10TH Engineering and Product Design Education International Conference, Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain, Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain.
- Novoa, M. (2008), 'Designing for social interaction through physical play, movement and learning', International Conference on Fun and Games, Eindhoven, Netherlands.
- Novoa, M. (2008), 'Flexible education as a factor for innovation, development and implementation', New Oportunities for Technological Innovation Conference, Santiago, Chile.
- Novoa, M. (2007), 'Accomplishing Results through Teachers and Students Partnership', CONNECTED 2007 INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON DESIGN EDUCATION, Sydney.
- Novoa, M. (2007), 'Preparing Future Designers for New Market Economies', CONNECTED 2007 INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON DESIGN EDUCATION, Sydney.
I currently supervise three PhD candidates in predictive analytics and machine learning for health rehabilitation, mobile technology for education, and design thinking for transformative learning environments. I have supervised Master projects in Engineering with research on water and energy solutions for rural third world countries. I submitted my PhD Thesis to WSU’s Institute for Culture and Society (Globalization and Cultural Economy) titled New Pedagogies for Design: Revaluing the Design Artefact for the Post-Industrial Revolution. Together with industry, I have led projects with industry partners (e.g. REDI Connections focusing on "New Learning and Environment", NSW government and Creative Industries Innovation Centre UTS). I have frequently been invited as guest speaker and advisory panel nationally and internationally in relation to my work. As with:
2017: Guest Speaker for 2017 New Generation Learning Space Design Conference, UTS.
2017: Associate Editor for The International Journal of the Humanities: Annual Review. CG Publishing
2015: International Curriculum Panel for American University of Sharjah, Research Grants Awards, UAE
2014: Advisory Board Member for International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies, EDULEARN14. IATED, Barcelona, Spain
2010: Guest Speaker at Sixth InternationalSeminar on Water: Challenges of its Scarcity, Fundacion COPEC-Pontifical Catholic University, Santiago, Chile (Team)
2010: International Review Panel, ConnectED 2010: International Conference on Design Education, UNSW, Sydney, Australia
2009: Guest Speaker, "Some Australian Findings to date on preparing Industrial Design Students for the Global Emerging Economy". Carrick - ALTC National Design Studio Forum: Studio Teaching as a Creative Arts Pedagogy, University of Tasmania, Australia
2008: Keynote Speaker for Flexible education as a factor for innovation, development and implementation. New Opportunities for Technological Innovation Conference, Santiago, Chile. Funded by Chilean government, Chile Ministry of Education, University of Technology (UTEM), and supported by The Australian government, CODELCO, UTS Sydney, TU/e Eindhoven, OECD.
2006: Visiting Academic to University of Technology (UTEM) Chile, funded by United Nations and Chile Ministry of Education Fund
2016: SCEM RIF GiggleBAT and STEAM Ball projects on child development based on learning through play. Multidisciplinary collaboration between industrial design, HCI and education (AUD 7K)
2012 – 2014: WSU Learning and Teaching Enhancement Grant: e-Portfolio Lifelong Learning for research, infrastructure, technology investment and implementation (AUD 55K as part of a larger grant)
2007 - 2010: WSU Learning and Teaching Advancement Plan Project Fund: Preparing Designers for the New Markets Economy. Research on design education and professional competencies against national and international benchmark (AUD 15K))
2005 – 2009: International Design Studio Project. Students and counterparts in Australia, Canada, Chile, Germany, Netherlands, addressed global design-driven innovation and technology through codesign, experts-couches, ICT, HCI, e-Manufacturing, rapid prototyping and manufacture in China.
This information has been contributed by Mr Novoa.
|Thesis Title:||Mobile Technology and Islamic Education for Nonnative Arabic Children|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||An Enquiry into the Capability of Co-Creative Design Thinking to Effectively Deliver Transformative Learning and Innovation|
|Field of Research:|
|Title:||Australia: Design for Development|
|Description:||Within the symposium International New Opportunities for Technological Innovation, Mr Mauricio Novoa, the Chilean industrial designer living in Australia, gave a memorable talk on design and techology applied to human development|
|Title:||Knowledge ecology for industrial design|
|Description:||Sustainable Lens, Otago Access Radio: Conversations with people from many different fields who are applying their skills to a sustainable future. In our conversations we try to find out what motivates them and what it means to see the world through a sustainable perspective, through their sustainable lens.|
|Title:||Guest Speaker for 2017 New Generation Learning Space Design Conference|
|Description:||Today, space and environment shape learning physically and virtually while globalization and technology overflow education with data. Higher education institutions are investing heavily into physical infrastructure and technology to maintain industry excellence. However, technology may act either as facilitator or obstacle. Many say change is taking place faster than adoption, risking stakeholders??? alienation and missing opportunities to transform information into discipline intelligence and foresight. Successful technology implementation needs cultural change from the ground up meantime normal definitions for learning space and environment are contested and in flux.|
|Title:||Industrial Design Studio Six: Ambience, People & Behavior|
|Description:||School of Computing, Engineering and Mathematics lecturer Mauricio Novoa speaks about his innovative teaching approach in the classroom. Industrial Design students create from product to human-centred design and system thinking.|