Mr Mauricio Novoa
Mauricio is a designer and academic with more than 28 years of professional experience in a broad range of fields; from product to industrial, architecture, advertising, communications and marketing (2D, 3D and 4D time based, events and moving image).
Rising from hands-on design to reach creative direction and management roles, he has had the opportunity to look after a varied portfolio of Blue Chip and SME clients both in Australia and abroad. Some highlights in industrial design and production for American, Asian, Australian and European companies are in technological innovation (i.e. electronic, construction and building, medical and scientific), durable and fast moving consumer goods (i.e. commercial and domestic appliances, white goods, food, tools, packaging), online and e-learning solutions (i.e. web design, e-commerce, flexible learning, GUI, HCI, visualization and simulation).
He is a PhD Candidate at UWS Centre for Cultural Research (Cultural Economy and Globalization) and also holds a Masters in Design from University of Technology Sydney, Australia. Previously he obtained a Bachelor Degree in Visual Arts (First Class Honours) from Pontifical Catholic University of Chile.
As a UWS academic for the last six years, he draws on his professional experience with special interest on new emerging technologies and their development including their influence on society and culture, design and designers agency on social and cultural change, design thinking and innovation, design for the other 90%, human environments, cognition, user centered design, experience design and sustainability.
His work as an artist has been exhibited nationally and internationally as in the touring exhibition "Chilean Artists of the 20th Century", Chile, South America (1984) and also later in Australia in "The Boundary Rider: 9th Biennale of Sydney" (1992/93) and its subsequent touring exhibitions.
This information has been contributed by Mr Novoa.
- BA Pontifical Catholic University of Chile
- MDes University of Technology, Sydney
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Industrial Design
|Phone:||(02) 47360 942|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
- Novoa, M. (2010), 'Improving Design Education by International Collaboration, Traditional Skillsets, Discovery and Ubiquitous Learning', Design Principles and Practices, vol 4, no 6 , pp 23 - 40.
- Mubin, O., Novoa, M., Forrester, J. and Iqbal, R. (2016), 'GiggleBat : enhancing playing and outdoor culture in Australian children', Human Computer Interaction Conference, Bournemouth University.
- Novoa, M., Mubin, O. and Apalakis, A. (2016), 'Persuasive industrial design and human computer interaction in child development for sustainable behaviour and water conservation', International Conference on Engineering Education and Research, Parramatta, N.S.W..
- Mubin, O., Tubb, J., Novoa, M., Naseem, M. and Razaq, S. (2015), 'Understanding the needs of Pakistani farmers and the prospects of an ICT intervention', CHI Conference, Seoul, Korea.
- Mubin, O., Rutishauser, D., Novoa, M., Wainohu, D. and Shahid, S. (2015), 'Interactive toys in the home : a parents perspective', International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Bamberg, Germany.
- Novoa, M. (2015), 'Connecting people, technology and environment by disrupting design curriculum : highlights on today industrial design vision to raise technology innovators and creative entrepreneurial leaders', International Design Congress, Gwangju, Korea (South).
- Mubin, O., Novoa, M., Ferguson, J. and Taylor, J. (2014), 'Leveraging the design of child restraint systems to reduce driver distraction', CHI Conference, Toronto, Canada.
- Novoa, M. (2014), 'Framework for iPedising higher education : new makers culture for transformative industrial design education', International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation, Seville, Spain.
- Novoa, M. (2014), 'Designers as brokers of meaningful innovation and socio-cultural significance', International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation, Seville, Spain.
- Novoa, M. (2013), 'To ipadise or to ipedise higher education : new learning and the challenge of diversity in users, space, time, devices and formats ', International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation, Seville, Spain.
- Novoa, M. (2010), 'Redefining Industrial Design Expertise for Education and Profession Sustainability in the New Knowledge Economy', Connected 2010 International Conference On Design Education, University of New South Wales.
- Riley, S., Novoa, M. and Shrestha, S. (2010), 'Australia - Wet or Dry: technical approaches to water supply in a highly variable climatic and geographic regime', International Seminar 2010: 'Water: challenges of it scarcity?', Universidad Catolica, Santiago, Chile.
- Novoa, M. (2009), 'International Industrial Design Studio project: Design for Development in the Era of Collaborative Networks', 13th International Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work in Design 2009, Santiago, Chile.
- Novoa, M. (2009), 'International Design Studio Project: Australian findings on preparing industrial design students for the emerging economy', 11th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education, Brighton University.
- Novoa, M. (2009), 'Guest Presenter: Some Australian Findings to Date on Preparing Industrial Design Students for the Global Emerging Economy', Studio Teaching Forum: Enriching Creative Arts Learning, Hobart, Tasmania.
- Shrestha, S., Riley, S., Novoa, M. and Essery, C. (2008), 'Penrith Campus Wetlands - Model for Water Recycling and Reuse', 11th International Conference on Wetland Systems Technology in Water Pollution Control, Vikram University, Ujjain, MP, INDIA.
- Novoa, M. (2008), 'International collaborative design studio project : preparing industrial design students for the global emerging economy, part 3', New Perspectives in Design Education. 10TH Engineering and Product Design Education International Conference, Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain, Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain.
- Novoa, M. (2008), 'Designing for social interaction through physical play, movement and learning', International Conference on Fun and Games, Eindhoven, Netherlands.
- Novoa, M. (2008), 'Flexible education as a factor for innovation, development and implementation', New Oportunities for Technological Innovation Conference, Santiago, Chile.
- Novoa, M. (2007), 'Accomplishing Results through Teachers and Students Partnership', CONNECTED 2007 INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON DESIGN EDUCATION, Sydney.
- Novoa, M. (2007), 'Preparing Future Designers for New Market Economies', CONNECTED 2007 INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON DESIGN EDUCATION, Sydney.
Mauricio is a current UWS Active Researcher Academic at School of Engineering, Industrial Design (status reached after Research Activity Register 2006 – 2008 triennium). His PhD Candidature focuses on design’s new knowledge ecology. It intends to contribute to re-defining design artefact and expertise in education and industry within the context of current cultural economy, globalization and digital culture.From 2005, he has run a multi-dimensional and international project on Design Studio focusing on teaching and learning, industry framework, ubiquitous computing (i.e. podcasting, vodcasting, mobile, visualization and simulation communications) and ubiquitous learning (i.e. co-design, collaborative and distributed design and learning, face to face and mediated participatory action research, multi-literacy). Manufacturing wise, he is also working on latest development of customized mass production with special mention of rapid prototyping, direct manufacturing and eManufacturing.
Initially brought into School of Engineering as Industrial Graphics Major Coordinator, he was soon invited to direct, coordinate and supervise Honours students and coordinate units as follows:
300314 Designed Inquiry
300313 Design Studio 4: Simulate to Innovate
300014 Design Management 3: Organisational Skills for Designers
300462 Engineering and Design Concepts
300282 Industrial Graphics 2: Transition
300312 Industrial Graphics 4: Surface
300773 Industrial Design Project Commencement (Honours)
300774 Industrial Design Project Completion (Honours)
300309 Sustainable Design: Life Cycle Analysis
This information has been contributed by Mr Novoa.