Mr Manuel Ventura
SPR/2H Casual Academic - Unit/Subject 200220/LAWS3034,
Dean's Unit - School of Law
Dean's Unit - School of Law
- First Place - Benjamin B. Ferencz Essay Competition 2012-11-12
- Animal Rights
- International Advocacy and Mooting
- International Criminal Law
- International Human Rights Law
- International Humanitarian Law
- International Law and Global Governance
- Public International Law
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Dean's Unit - School of Law
- Dean's Unit - School of Law
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Current Teaching Areas
- 200220 International Criminal Law
Previous Teaching Areas
- 200220 International Criminal Law, 2019
- 200962 International Criminal Law and Justice, 2019
- Heffes, E., Kotlik, M. and Ventura, M. (2020), 'International Humanitarian Law and Non-State Actors: Debates, Law and Practice', : T.M.C. Asser Press 9789462653382.
- Hemptinne, J., Roth, R., Sliedregt, E., Cupido, M., Ventura, M. and Yanev, L. (2019), 'Modes of Liability in International Criminal Law', : Cambridge University Press 9781108492171.
Chapters in Books
- Heffes, E., Kotlik, M. and Ventura, M. (2020), 'Introduction : the functions and interactions of non-state actors in the realm of international humanitarian law', International Humanitarian Law and Non-State Actors: Debates, Law and Practice, T.M.C. Asser Press 9789462653382.
- Ventura, M. (2020), 'Automatic criminal liability for unlawful confinement (imprisonment) as a war crime? : a potential consequence of denying non-state armed groups the power to detain in NIACs', International Humanitarian Law and Non-State Actors: Debates, Law and Practice, T.M.C. Asser Press 9789462653382.
- Ventura, M. and Baiesu, V. (2020), 'The ICJ's Senegal v Belgium judgment and the obligation to prosecute or extradite alleged torturers : the case of Al Bashir and the ICC', The President on Trial: Prosecuting Hissene Habre', Oxford University Press 9780198858621.
- Nsereko, D. and Ventura, M. (2019), 'Perspectives on the international criminal jurisdiction of the African Court of Justice and Human Rights pursuant to the Malabo Protocol (2014)', The African Court of Justice and Human and Peoples' Rights in Context: Development and Challenges, Cambridge University Press 9781108422734.
- Ventura, M. (2019), 'Aiding and abetting', Modes of Liability in International Criminal Law, Cambridge University Press 9781108492171.
- Ventura, M. (2019), 'Ordering', Modes of Liability in International Criminal Law, Cambridge University Press 9781108492171.
- Ventura, M. (2019), 'El deber de prevenir el delito de genocidio y los grupos poli'ticos en la Convencio'n del Genocidio de 1948', La Evolucio'n de la Definicio'n y la Aplicacio'n del Delito de Genocidio: La Contribucio'n Iberoamericana y el Legado del Tribunal Penal Internacional para la ex Yugoslavia = The Evolution of the Definition and Application of the Crime of Genocide: The Ibero-American Contribution and the Legacy of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, Tirant lo Blanch 9788413365404.
- Ventura, M. (2018), 'The illegal use of force (other inhumane act) as a crime against humanity : an assessment of the case for a new crime at the International Criminal Court', Seeking Accountability for the Unlawful Use of Force, Cambridge University Press 9781107187535.
- Ventura, M. (2018), 'Commentary [Judgement, Prosecutor v. Taylor, Case No. SCSL-03-01-A, A. C., 26 September 2013]', Annotated Leading Cases of International Criminal Tribunals. Volume LI: Special Court for Sierra Leone 2012-2015, Intersentia 9781780684895.
- Hall, C., Nsereko, D. and Ventura, M. (2016), 'Challenges to the jurisdiction of the court or the admissibility of a case', Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court: A Commentary, C.H. Beck 9783406648540.
- Ventura, M. and Bleeker, A. (2016), 'Universal jurisdiction, African perceptions of the International Criminal Court and the New AU Protocol on Amendments to the Protocol on the Statute of the African Court of Justice and Human Rights', International Criminal Court and Africa: One Decade On, Intersentia 9781780684178.
- Ventura, M. (2016), 'Commentary: Judgement, Prosecutor v. Krajisnik, Case No. IT-00-39-A, A. Ch., 17 March 2009', Annotated Leading Cases of International Criminal Tribunals. Volume 48: International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia, 26 February 2009 - 21 July 2009, Intersentia 9781780683454.
- Ventura, M. (2015), 'The prevention of genocide as a Jus Cogens norm? : a formula for lawful humanitarian intervention', Shielding Humanity: Essays in International Law in Honour of Judge Abdul G. Koroma, Brill 9789004236509.
- Ventura, M. (2015), 'Decision on appeal against Closing Order indicting Kaing Giel Eav aka "Duch" : commentary', Annotated Leading Cases of International Criminal Tribunals. Volume 43: Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (7 July 2007 - 26 July 2010), Intersentia 9781780681979.
- Ventura, M. (2014), 'Farewell 'specific direction' : aiding and abetting war crimes and crimes against humanity in Perisic, Taylor, Sainovic et al., and US Alien Tort Statute jurisprudence', War Report: Armed Conflict in 2013, Oxford University Press 9780198724681.
- Ventura, M., Sing, J., Haigh, A. and Bernhaut, M. (2014), 'International Criminal Law', Practitioner's Guide to International Law, LexisNexis Butterworths 9780409340228.
- Ventura, M. (2013), 'Two controversies in the Lubanga trial judgment of the ICC : the nature of co-perpetration's common plan and the classification of the armed conflict', War Report: 2012, Oxford University Press 9780199689088.
- Ventura, M. (2013), 'Complementarity and universal jurisdiction : South Africa's ICC Act and the domestic investigation of extraterritorial international crimes', The War Report : 2012, Oxford University Press 9780199689088.
- Ventura, M. (2020), 'Aiding and abetting and the International Criminal Court's Bemba et al. case : the ICC Trial and Appeals Chamber consider Article 25(3)(c) of the Rome Statute', International Criminal Law Review, vol 20, no 6 , pp 1138 - 1166.
- Ventura, M. (2019), 'Prosecuting starvation under international criminal law : exploring the legal possibilities', Journal of International Criminal Justice, vol 17, no 4 , pp 781 - 814.
- Ventura, M. (2017), 'Prosecutor v. Al-Bashir, ICC-02/05-01/09-302, decision under Article 87(7) of the Rome Statute on the non-compliance by South Africa with the request by the Court for the arrest and surrender of Omar Al-Bashir', American Journal of International Law, vol 111, no 4 , pp 1007 - 1013.
- Ventura, M. (2016), 'The prosecution of corporations before a hybrid international criminal tribunal : the new TV and Akhbar Beirut contempt jurisdiction decisions of the Special Tribunal for Lebanon', African Journal of International Criminal Justice, vol 2, no 1-2 , pp 71 - 83.
- Ventura, M. (2015), 'The duty to investigate Zimbabwe crimes against humanity (torture) allegations : The Constitutional Court of South Africa speaks on universal jurisdiction and the ICC Act', Journal of International Criminal Justice, vol 13, no 4 , pp 861 - 889.
- Ventura, M. (2015), 'Escape from Johannesburg? : Sudanese President Al-Bashir visits South Africa, and the implicit removal of Head of State immunity by the UN security council in light of Al-Jedda', Journal of International Criminal Justice, vol 13, no 5 , pp 995 - 1025.
- Ventura, M. and Gillett, M. (2013), 'The fog of war : prosecuting illegal uses of force as crimes against humanity', Washington University Global Studies Law Review, vol 12, no 3 , pp 523 - 538.
- Nikolova, M. and Ventura, M. (2013), 'The Special Tribunal for Lebanon declines to review UN Security Council action : retreating from Tadic's legacy in the Ayyash jurisdiction and legality decisions', Journal of International Criminal Justice, vol 11, no 3 , pp 615 - 641.
- Ventura, M. (2013), 'The 'reasonable basis to proceed' threshold in the Kenya and Cote d'Ivoire Proprio Motu investigation decisions : the International Criminal Court's lowest evidentiary standard?', Law and Practice of International Courts and Tribunals, vol 12, no 1 , pp 49 - 80.
- Ventura, M. (2011), 'Terrorism according to the STL's Interlocutory Decision on the Applicable Law : a defining moment or a moment of defining?', Journal of International Criminal Justice, vol 9, no 5 , pp 1021 - 1042.
- Ventura, M. (2009), 'Prosecutor v Karadzic (ICTY, Case No IT-95-5/18) : the indictment, English language and Holbrooke Agreement decisions', Australian International Law Journal, vol 16 , pp 241 - 257.