Emeritus Professor Geoffrey Scott
Office Of Sustainability
Emeritus Professor Geoff Scott
BA, Dip Ed, M Ed, Ed D, FACE
Geoff Scott is Emeritus Professor of Higher Education and Sustainability at the University of Western Sydney (UWS) and leader of the UN endorsed Regional Centre of Expertise in Education for Sustainable Development – Greater Western Sydney.
Prior to his retirement from UWS he was Executive Director of Sustainability from 2011-12 and Pro Vice-Chancellor (Quality) from 2004-11 where he led the preparations of the University for two successful audits by the Australian Universities Quality Agency. This work included establishing nationally recognized approaches for tracking and improving higher education learning and teaching, and the successful implementation of strategies for assuring academic standards, quality, student transition and retention across the University; along with establishing quality assurance and tracking systems for community engagement and research.
Over the past thirty years Geoff has led or studied major change and leadership programs in schools, post-secondary and higher education within Australia and in a range of overseas countries including South Africa, Cambodia, New Zealand, Canada, the USA, the UK and Scandinavia.
He has undertaken national and international research studies on university student engagement in productive learning and retention, education for sustainability, quality assurance and improvement, change management and leadership in education and has carried out commissioned reviews and capacity building projects for post-secondary and higher education systems and universities within and beyond Australia on these areas.
He currently is co-chair of the Sustainable Futures Leadership Academy and is a member of the Advisory Council of the Australian Campuses Towards Sustainability. In 2010 he undertook a national stocktake for the Australian Government with ALTC of sustainability in the curriculum of Australia’s universities. Currently he is joint director of an international study of turnaround leadership for sustainability in higher education and a study of peer-based approaches to assuring assessment quality in Australian higher education for the Australian Government’s Office of Learning and Teaching.
In 2000 Geoff was elected as a Fellow of the Australian College of Education for his national and international contributions to post-secondary and higher education, and in 2007 was the recipient of the Australian Higher Education Quality Award. He is currently a member of Register of Experts for Australia’s Tertiary Education Quality & Standards Agency (TEQSA); a higher education quality auditor for countries like South Africa and Oman and a Member of the Board of Directors of the Australian Council for Educational Research.
His latest book with Canada’s Michael Fullan Turnaround Leadership for Higher Education (Jossey Bass/Wiley, San Francisco, 2009), was shortlisted for the 2010 US Bellwether Award.
This information has been contributed by Emeritus Professor Scott.
- CRTCH Department of School Education NSW
- DIPED University of Sydney
- BA University of Sydney
- MEAD University of Toronto
- DED University of Toronto
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Office Of Sustainability
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
- Fullan, M. and Scott, G. (2009), 'Turnaround Leadership for Higher Education', : Jossey-Bass 9780470472040.
- Scott, G. (2017), 'Short report : reflections on leadership in transition', Focus on Health Professional Education, vol 18, no 3 , pp 10 - 16.
- Mader, C., Scott, G. and Razak, D. (2013), 'Effective change management, governance and policy for sustainability transformation in higher education', Sustainability Accounting, Management and Policy Journal, vol 4, no 3 , pp 264 - 284.
- Scott, G., Bell, S., Coates, H. and Grebennikov, L. (2010), 'Australian higher education leaders in times of change : the role of Pro Vice-Chancellor and Deputy Vice-Chancellor', Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management, vol 32, no 4 , pp 401 - 418.
- Scott, G., Chang, E. and Grebennikov, L. (2010), 'Using successful graduates to improve the quality of undergraduate nursing programs', Journal of Teaching and Learning for Graduate Employability, vol 1, no 1 , pp 26 - 44.
- Scott, G., Grebennikov, L. and Gozzard, T. (2009), 'ICT-enabled learning : the student perspective', Journal of Institutional Research, vol 14, no 2 , pp 1 - 16.
- Scott, G., Shah, M., Grebennikov, L. and Singh, H. (2008), 'Improving student retention : a University of Western Sydney case study', Journal of Institutional Research, vol 14, no 1 , pp 1 - 23.
- Scott, G., Grebennikov, L. and Johnston, K. (2007), 'Study of Australian multi-campus universities', Journal of Institutional Research, vol 13, no 1 , pp 1 - 23.
- Scott, G., Grebennikov, L. and Skaines, I. (2007), 'Developing a community engagement database at the University of Western Sydney', The Australasian Journal of University Community Engagement, , pp 60 - 68.
- Scott, G., Campbell, S., Grebennikov, L. and Jarvis, K. (2010), 'Using a Network of Program Heads to enact successful change in a higher education institution', Turning Water into Wine: Institutional Research as an Essential Ingredient in Strategic Decision Making for Tertiary Education, Adelaide.
- Holland, B., Scott, G. and Grebennikov, L. (2010), 'Rationale and model for an online system for tracking and assessing community engagement', 2010 AUCEA National Conference: Communities, Participation and Partnership, Launceston, Tasmania.
- Scott, G., Grebennikov, L. and Shah, M. (2009), 'Using qualitative data to prove and improve quality in Australian higher education', 2008 Australasian Higher Education Evaluation Forum: Evidence based decision making: scholarship and practice, Melbourne, Vic..