Emeritus Professor Andrew Cheetham
Office of The Dvc & Vp, Research, Enterprise & Int
Professor Andrew Cheetham is the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research) at University of Western Sydney since 2007.
He has a PhD in plasma physics (1976) and spent fifteen years working in the field of plasma diagnostic systems in nuclear fusion energy research laboratories at the University of Stuttgart, Germany; Centre de Recherches en Physique des Plasmas, EPFL, Switzerland; the Plasma Research Laboratory, ANU, Australia; and at the Joint European Torus (JET), UK.
A full list of publications can be found here: Google Scholar
In 1990, he returned to Australia to lecture in physics and electronics engineering at the University of Canberra. During his time in that institution, he held the roles of Head of School of Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering, Deputy Director of the Division of Business, Law & Information Sciences and finally Pro Vice-Chancellor Research & Information Management.
Professor Cheetham is a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Physics, a Fellow of the Institution of Engineers Australia and a Fellow of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation. He has published over 60 refereed articles and presented over 90 conference papers in the fields of: plasma and fusion physics, computer controlled instrumentation and data analysis.
Professor Cheetham is a Graduate Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors. He is currently deputy Chair of the Board of the National eResearch Collaboration Tools and Resources (NeCTAR).
In 2010 he was Chair of the Universities Australia D/PVC Research Committee. He is also a member of several Federal Government consultation committees.
One of Professor Cheetham’s enduring interests has been the use of information and communication technologies to support, enhance and extend collaboration, research and teaching.
Professor Cheetham has recently started an internal Blog to keep reserachersa at UWS abreast of developments in the research arena.
This information has been contributed by Emeritus Professor Cheetham.
- PhD Flinders University of South Australia
- BSc Flinders University of South Australia
- Australian Institute of Physics (1990)
- Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (1976)
- Australian Institute of Company Directors (2006)
- Engineers Australia (1991)
- The Outback
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Office of The Dvc & Vp, Research, Enterprise & Int
|Phone:||(02) 9678 7920
Penrith (Werrington North)N/A
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
- Rayner, J. and Cheetham, A. (2010), 'Travelling Modes in Wave-Heated Plasma Sources', IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, vol 38, no 2 , pp 62 - 72.
- Rayner, J., Whichello, A. and Cheetham, A. (2004), 'Physical Characteristics of Plasma Antennas', I E E E Transactions on Plasma Science, vol 32, no 1 , pp 269 - 281.
- Huang, X., Madoc, A. and Cheetham, A. (2005), 'Image Multi-Noise Removal by Wavelet Based Bayesian Estimator', Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, Kobe, Japan.
- Huang, X., Madoc, A. and Cheetham, A. (2004), 'Multi-Noise Removal from Images by Wavelet-Based Bayesian Estimator', Proceedings of IEEE 6th International Symposium on Multimedia Software Engineering, Miami, Florida USA.
- Huang, X., Madoc, A. and Cheetham, A. (2003), 'Wavelet-Based Bayesian Estimator for Poisson Noise Removal from Images', Proceedings IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, Baltimore, USA.
|Title:||DVCR - Blog|
|Description:||Deputy Vice-Chancellor Research - Blog|