Doctor Weisheng Si
Senior Lecturer in Networking & Mobile Computing,
Computing & ICT
Dr Weisheng Si is with the School of Computing, Engineering and Mathematics at Western Sydney University. Prior to this, he was a Postdoctoral Researcher at the National ICT Australia. He received his PhD, MS, and BS in Computer Science from the University of Sydney, University of Virginia (USA), and Peking University (China) respectively. His research is mainly focused on wireless networking, software defined networks, data center networks, and cyber security.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Si.
- PhD University of Sydney
- MSc University of Virginia (USA)
- BSc Peking University
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Computing & ICT
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 300095 Computer Networks and Internets, 2012
- 300695 Network Technologies, 2012
- 300565 Computer Networking, 2012
- 300094 Computer Networking Fundamentals, 2013
- 300095 Computer Networks and Internets, 2013
- 300166 Systems and Network Management, 2013
- 300582 Technologies for Web Applications, 2014
- 300582 Technologies for Web Applications, 2015
- 300166 Systems and Network Management, 2015
- Tian, Y., Si, W. and Han, Y. (2006), 'Principles of Computer Networks', : China Machine Press 7111187768.
- Sharma, Y., Si, W., Sun, D. and Javadi, B. (2019), 'Failure-aware energy-efficient VM consolidation in cloud computing systems', Future Generation Computer Systems, vol 94 , pp 620 - 633.
- Qiu, T., Liu, J., Si, W. and Wu, D. (2019), 'Robustness optimization scheme with multi-population co-evolution for scale-free wireless sensor networks', IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol 27, no 3 , pp 1028 - 1042.
- Si, W., Tse, Q., Mao, G. and Zomaya, A. (2018), 'On the performance of greedy forwarding on Yao and Theta graphs', Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, vol 117 , pp 87 - 97.
- Portocarrero, J., Delicato, F., Pires, P., Costa, B., Li, W., Si, W. and Zomaya, A. (2017), 'RAMSES : a new reference architecture for self-adaptive middleware in Wireless Sensor Networks', Ad Hoc Networks, vol 55 , pp 3 - 27.
- Huque, M., Si, W., Jourjon, G. and Gramoli, V. (2017), 'Large-scale dynamic controller placement', IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management, vol 14, no 1 , pp 63 - 76.
- Qiu, T., Zhao, A., Xia, F., Si, W. and Wu, D. (2017), 'ROSE : robustness strategy for scale-free wireless sensor networks', IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol 25, no 5 , pp 2944 - 2959.
- Qiu, T., Liu, J., Si, W., Han, M., Ning, H. and Atiquzzaman, M. (2017), 'A data-driven robustness algorithm for the Internet of things in smart cities', IEEE Communications Magazine, vol 55, no 12 , pp 18 - 23.
- Qiu, T., Luo, D., Xia, F., Deonauth, N., Si, W. and Tolba, A. (2016), 'A greedy model with small world for improving the robustness of heterogeneous Internet of Things', Computer Networks, vol 101 , pp 127 - 143.
- Sharma, Y., Javadi, B., Si, W. and Sun, D. (2016), 'Reliability and energy efficiency in cloud computing systems : survey and taxonomy', Journal of Network and Computer Applications, vol 74 , pp 66 - 85.
- Ye, K., Wu, Z., Wang, C., Zhou, B., Si, W., Jiang, X. and Zomaya, A. (2015), 'Profiling-based workload consolidation and migration in virtualized data centers', IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol 26, no 3 , pp 878 - 890.
- Si, W., Zomaya, A. and Selvakennedy, S. (2014), 'A geometric deployment and routing scheme for directional wireless mesh networks', IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol 63, no 6 , pp 1323 - 1335.
- Si, W. and Zomaya, A. (2012), 'New memoryless online routing algorithms for delaunay triangulations', IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol 23, no 8 , pp 1520 - 1527.
- Qiu, T., Guo, H., Feng, L., Si, W. and Liu, X. (2012), 'A new analysis model for task buffer of pipeline simulator based on queueing network', Journal of Computer Research and Development, vol 49, no 1 , pp 103 - 110.
- Si, W., Selvakennedy, S. and Zomaya, A. (2010), 'An overview of Channel Assignment methods for multi-radio multi-channel wireless mesh networks', Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, vol 70, no 5 , pp 505 - 524.
- Si, W. and Li, C. (2005), 'RMAC : a reliable MAC protocol supporting multicast for wireless ad hoc networks', Journal of Computer Science and Technology, vol 20, no 5 , pp 702 - 712.
- Xiong, S., Cao, Q. and Si, W. (2019), 'Adaptive path tracing with programmable bloom filters in software-defined networks', IEEE Conference on Computer Communications, Paris, France.
- Mburano, B. and Si, W. (2018), 'Evaluation of web vulnerability scanners based on OWASP benchmark', International Conference on Systems Engineering, University of Technology Sydney.
- Sharma, Y., Si, W., Javadi, B. and Sun, D. (2017), 'Reliable and energy efficient resource provisioning and allocation in cloud computing', International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing, U.S..
- Sharma, Y., Javadi, B. and Si, W. (2015), 'On the reliability and energy efficiency in cloud computing', Australasian Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Computing, Parramatta, N.S.W..
- Si, W., Tse, Q., Mao, G. and Zomaya, A. (2014), 'How well do Yao graph and Theta graph support Greedy Forwarding?', IEEE Global Communications Conference , Austin, Tex..
- Tse, Q., Si, W. and Taheri, J. (2013), 'Estimating contention of IEEE 802.11 broadcasts based on inter-frame idle slots', IEEE International Workshop on Performance and Management of Wireless and Mobile, Sydney, N.S.W..
- Si, W., Taheri, J. and Zomaya, A. (2012), 'A distributed energy saving approach for ethernet switches in data centers', Conference on Local Computer Networks, USA.
- Si, W., Scholz, B., Gudmundsson, J., Mao, G., Boreli, R. and Zomaya, A. (2012), 'On graphs supporting greedy forwarding for directional wireless networks', IEEE International Conference on Communications, Ottawa, Canada.
- Si, W., Boreli, R., Mahanti, A. and Zomaya, A. (2011), 'Tree-based double-covered broadcast for wireless ad hoc networks', (MobiWac '11) Proceedings of the 9th ACM international symposium on Mobility management and wireless access, USA.
- Si, W. and Zomaya, A. (2010), 'Midpoint Routing Algorithms for Delaunay Triangulations', Proceedings of the 24th IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS), USA.
- Si, W. and Selvakennedy, S. (2008), 'A position-based deployment and routing approach for directional wireless mesh networks', Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN), USA.
- Si, W. and Li, M. (2005), 'On the Connectedness of Peer-to-Peer Overlay Networks', Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems (ICPADS), USA.
- Si, W. and Li, C. (2004), 'RMAC: A Reliable Multicast MAC Protocol for Wireless Ad Hoc Networks', Proceedings of the 33rd International Conference on Parallel Processing (ICPP), USA.
During my research career, I have ever focused on the following areas in computer networking: network security, connectivity of P2P networks, position-based routing and node deployment algorithms for wireless networks, privacy and security in online social networks, and energy efficiency in data centre networks. In terms of theories and skills, I have certain expertise in complex networks, computational geometry, machine learning, blockchain, and open source software development. My current research interests lie in:
- Cyber Security
- Data centre networks
- Internet of Things
- Software Defined Networking
Very welcome to discuss with me if you share similar research interests. More info about my research can be found at http://staff.scem.uws.edu.au/~weisheng/.
I've been awarded the following research grants after joining Western Sydney University:
- 2018, Pilot grant from NSW Cyber Security Network, "Building robust network topologies against cyberattacks for critical infrastructure networks", $94000.
- 2015, ECR Research Support Award, "Exploiting geometric graphs to model wireless networks with directional antennas", $8536.
- 2013, SCEM Pilot Research Challenge Project, "Implementation of Open Source Software for Constructing Geometric Graphs Exploited in Wireless Networks", $6500.
Current Research Efforts
- Master project: Evaluation and comparison of web vulnerability scanners
- In collaboration with researchers in School of Computer Science and Technology, Tianjin University: Enhance robustness of scale-free network topologies in IoT.
- In collaboration with researchers in Dept. of EE and CS, University of Tennessee: Anomaly detection with machine learning in IoT environment.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Si.
|Title:||Building robust network topologies against cyber attacks for critical infrastructure networks [via UNSW]|
|Western Researchers:||Weisheng Si, Yun Bai and Wei Xing Zheng|
|Years:||2019-01-01 - 2019-12-31|
|Thesis Title:||Utilising Fuzzy Logic to Detect False Access Points in Wi-Fi Networks|
|Field of Research:||Computer Science; Engineering And Related Technologies; Information Technology|
|Thesis Title:||Evaluation of Web Vulnerability Scanners Based on OWASP Benchmark|
|Field of Research:||Information Technology Not Elsewhere Classified|