Doctor Volker Gebhardt
Dr Volker Gebhardt completed his PhD at the University of Essen, Germany in the field of computational group theory. He spent the next four years as a post-doctoral researcher with the Computational Algebra group at the University of Sydney. In 2003-2004, he joined the University of Western Sydney as a casual lecturer and taught several Computing units. In July 2004, he took up a permanent position as a lecturer in Mathematics. His broad research interests lie in various areas of algebra and discrete mathematics; and he is especially interested in questions with an algorithmic or computational flavour.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Gebhardt.
- PhD University of Essen
- Combinatorial Group Theory
- Garside Groups
- Group Based Cryptography
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- SCEM Work Plan Committee
|Phone:||(02) 47360 688|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 200242 Mathematics for Engineers 3, 2012
- 300699 Discrete Structures and Complexity, 2012
Chapters in Books
- Gebhardt, V. (2006), 'Computer Aided Discovery of a Fast Algorithm for Testing Conjugacy in Braid Groups', Discovering Mathematics with Magma, Springer Verlag 3540376321.
- Gebhardt, V. and Tawn, S. (2016), 'On the penetration distance in Garside monoids', Journal of Algebra, vol 451 , pp 544 - 576.
- Gebhardt, V. and Tawn, S. (2016), 'Zappa-Szep products of Garside monoids', Mathematische Zeitschrift, vol 282, no 1 , pp 341 - 369.
- Dehornoy, P. and Gebhardt, V. (2014), 'Algorithms for Garside calculus', Journal of Symbolic Computation, .
- Egri-Nagy, A., Gebhardt, V., Tanaka, M. and Francis, A. (2014), 'Group-theoretic models of the inversion process in bacterial genomes', Journal of Mathematical Biology, vol 69, no 1 , pp 243 - 265.
- Berrick, J., Gebhardt, V. and Paris, L. (2014), 'Finite index subgroups of mapping class groups', Proceedings of the London Mathematical Society, vol 108, no 3 , pp 575 - 599.
- Gebhardt, V. and Tawn, S. (2014), 'Normal forms of random braids', Journal of Algebra, vol 408 , pp 115 - 137.
- Gebhardt, V. and Gonzalez-Meneses, J. (2013), 'Generating random braids', Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A, vol 120, no 1 , pp 111 - 128.
- Gebhardt, V. (2013), 'Computing growth functions of braid monoids and counting vertex-labelled bipartite graphs', Journal of Combinatorial Theory. Series A, vol 120, no 1 , pp 232 - 244.
- Gebhardt, V. and Gonzalez-Meneses, J. (2010), 'The cyclic sliding operation in Garside groups', Mathematische Zeitschrift, vol 265, no 1 , pp 85 - 114.
- Gebhardt, V. and Gonzalez-Meneses, J. (2010), 'Solving the conjugacy problem in Garside groups by cyclic sliding', Journal of Symbolic Computation, vol 45, no 6 , pp 629 - 656.
- Birman, J., Gebhardt, V. and Gonzalez-Meneses, J. (2008), 'Conjugacy in Garside groups II : structure of the ultra summit set', Groups, Geometry, and Dynamics, vol 2 , pp 13 - 61.
- Gonzalez-Meneses, J. and Gebhardt, V. (2008), 'On the cycling operation in braid groups', Discrete Applied Mathematics, vol 156, no 16 , pp 3072 - 3090.
- Birman, J., Gebhardt, V. and Gonzalez-Meneses, J. (2007), 'Conjugacy in Garside groups I: cyclings, powers and rigidity', Groups, Geometry, and Dynamics, vol 1 , pp 221 - 279.
- Birman, J., Gebhardt, V. and Gonzalez-Meneses, J. (2007), 'Conjugacy in Garside groups III: Periodic Braids', Journal of Algebra, vol 316, no 2 , pp 746 - 776.
- Gebhardt, V. (2006), 'Conjugacy search in braid groups: from a braid-based cryptography point of view', Applicable Algebra in Engineering, Communication and Computing, vol 17, no 40636 , pp 219 - 238.
- Gebhardt, V. (2005), 'A new approach to the conjugacy problem in Garside groups', Journal of Algebra, vol 292, no 1 SPEC. ISS. , pp 282 - 302.
- Egri-Nagy, A., Francis, A. and Gebhardt, V. (2014), 'Bacterial genomics and computational group theory : the BioGAP package for GAP', International Congress of Mathematical Software, Seoul, South Korea.
|Title:||Algebraic algorithms for investigating the space of bacterial genomes|
|Western Researchers:||Andrew Francis and Volker Gebhardt|
|Years:||2013-01-01 - 2015-12-31|
|Title:||Charting unkown territory: an enumerative approach to Garside groups|
|Western Researchers:||Volker Gebhardt|
|Years:||2013-12-10 - 2015-06-30|
|Title:||Algorithmic Approaches to Braids and their Generalisations|
|Western Researchers:||Volker Gebhardt|
|Years:||2010-09-30 - 2013-12-30|