Doctor Tanya Notley
Senior Lecturer in Communication,
Tanya Notley's research and teaching is focused on social change and communication technology. She has 15 years of experience working in the areas of social justice and human rights, community-based and online media initiatives. She has worked primarily in the UK, Germany, Nepal, Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia, Vanuatu and Australia.
Tanya's ongoing research projects are focused on:
- media literacy, particuarly news media literacy
- digital infrastucture politics
- virtual reality and education
- emotion mapping and affective geographies
- the use of technology to collect evidence for human rights advocacy
- designing communication initiatives for social impact.
Tanya is currently working on an Australian Research Council funded Discovery project that examines data centres, labour and territory (with Brett Neilson and Ned Rossiter) as well as a project focused on young Australians, news and democracy, funded by the Museum of Australian Democracy and Google Australia (working with Michael Dezuanni).
Tanya is employed as a Senior Lecturer in Internet Studies and Digital Media in the School of Humanities and Communication Arts at Western Sydney University and she is a Senior Researcher with both the Institute for Culture and Society and the Digital Humanities Research Group. She collaborates with a number of human rights and social justice organisations to design communication initiatives for social impact and is Visiting Senior Research Fellow at the School of Arts & Humanities, Kings College London (2016-2019).
Publications are available here.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Notley.
- PhD Queensland University of Technology
- MSocChg & Dev University of Newcastle (NSW)
- BA Comm Stdies University of Newcastle (NSW)
- Visiting Senior Research Fellow, School of Arts & Humanities, Kings College London (2016 - 2019)
- Masters Scholarship from the University of Newcastle 2001-04-01
- PhD Scholarship from the Institute for Creative Industries and Innovation (ici) at Queensland University of Technology 2006-04-01
- Communication and Social Change
- Digital Media Practices
- Virtual reality
- Young People and Social Media
- environmental impact of media
- human rights and technology
- media and globalisation
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Communications (SoHCA)
- School of Humanities and Communication Arts Research Committee
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 101040 Approaches to Communication, 2012
- 101545 Strategic Communication, 2014
- 101743 Mobile Media, 2013
- 101925 Mediated Mobilities, 2013
- 101926 Media Cultures and Industries, 2013
- 101926 Media Cultures and Industries, 2014
- 101961 Strategic Communication, 2013
- 102292 Strategic Communication, 2016
Chapters in Books
- Reading, A. and Notley, T. (2018), 'Globital memory capital : theorizing digital memory economies', Digital Memory Studies: Media Pasts in Transition, Taylor and Francis 9781138639379.
- Collin, P., Notley, T. and Third, A. (2018), 'Cultivating (digital) capacities : a role for social living labs?', Digital Participation Through Social Living Labs: Valuing Local Knowledge, Enhancing Engagement, Chandos 9780081020593.
- Notley, T., Lowenthal, A. and Gregory, S. (2015), 'Vi'deos para el cambio social : herramientas para generar y medir el impacto social', Videoactivismo y Movimientos Sociales: Teoria y Praxis de las Multitudes Conectadas, Gedisa Editorial 9788416572243.
- Notley, T. and Crosby, A. (2014), 'Transmedia activism : exploring the possibilities in West Papua', Transmedia Practice: A Collective Approach, Inter-Disciplinary Press 9781848882614.
- Notley, T. and Hankey, S. (2013), 'Human rights defenders and the right to digital privacy and security', Human Rights and Information Communication Technologies: Trends and Consequences of Use, IGI Global 9781466619180.
- Notley, T. (2012), 'What tools can NGOs incorporate to establish a new model of communication based on participation?', #ParadigmaTIC@s: Comunicacion y Cultura Digital en las ONG de Desarrollo, Coordinadora de ONG para el Desarrollo-Espana .
- Notley, T. and Faith, B. (2010), 'Mobiles in-a-box : developing a toolkit with grassroots human rights advocates', SMS Uprisings: Mobile activism in Africa, Fahamu Books and Pamazuka Press 1906387354.
- Singh, N. and Notley, T. (2009), 'A strategy for making media', Message in-a-box: tools and tactics for communicating your cause, Tactical Technology Collective 9788190882156.
- Deitz, M., Notley, T., Cantanzaro, M., Third, A. and Sandbach, K. (2018), 'Emotion mapping : using participatory media to support young people's participation in urban design', Emotion Space and Society, vol 28 , pp 9 - 17.
- Magee, L., Kearney, E., Bellerose, D., Collin, P., Crabtree, L., Humphry, J., James, P., Notley, T., Sharma, A., Third, A. and Yorke, S. (2018), '[In Press] Addressing a volatile subject : adaptive measurement of Australian digital capacities', Information, Communication and Society, .
- Notley, T. and Dezuanni, M. (2018), '[In Press] Advancing children's news media literacy : learning from the practices and experiences of young Australians', Media, Culture & Society, .
- Notley, T., Gregory, S. and Lowenthal, A. (2017), 'Video for change : creating and measuring ethical impact', Journal of Human Rights Practice, vol 9, no 2 , pp 223 - 246.
- Notley, T. and Webb-Gannon, C. (2016), 'Visual evidence from above : assessing the value of earth observation satellites for supporting human rights', Fibreculture Journal, , no 27 .
- Reading, A. and Notley, T. (2015), 'The materiality of globital memory : bringing the cloud to earth', Continuum, vol 29, no 4 , pp 511 - 521.
- Shea, P., Notley, T. and Burgess, J. (2015), 'Entanglements : activism and technology : editorial', The Fibreculture Journal, vol 26 , pp 1 - 6.
- Marshall, J. and Notley, T. (2014), 'Communication technology and social life : transformation and continuity, order and disorder', The Australian Journal of Anthropology, vol 25, no 2 , pp 127 - 137.
- Crosby, A. and Notley, T. (2014), 'Using video and online subtitling to communicate across languages from West Papua', The Australian Journal of Anthropology, vol 25, no 2 , pp 138 - 154.
- Notley, T., Salazar, J. and Crosby, A. (2013), 'Online video translation and subtitling : examining emerging practices and their implications for media activism in South East Asia', Global Media Journal: Australian Edition, vol 7, no 1 .
- Stein, L., Notley, T. and Davis, S. (2012), 'Transnational networking and capacity building for communication activism', Global Media Journal : Australian Edition, vol 6, no 2 .
- Notley, T. (2009), 'The role of online networks in supporting young people's social inclusion', Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, vol 14, no 4 , pp 1208 - 1227.
- Notley, T. (2009), 'Restricted access : young people, online networks and school', Teacher: The National Education Magazine, , pp 6 - 11.
- Notley, T. (2008), 'Online network use in schools : social and educational opportunities', Youth Studies Australia, vol 27, no 3 , pp 20 - 27.
- Notley, T. and Foth, M. (2008), 'Extending Australia's digital divide policy : an examination of the value of social inclusion and social capital policy frameworks', Australian Social Policy, vol 7, no na , pp 87 - 110.
- Notley, T. and Tacchi, J. (2005), 'Online Youth Networks: Researching the Experiences of 'Peripheral' Young People in Using New Media Tools for Creative Participation and Representation', 3CMedia. Journal of Community, Citizen's and Third Sector Media, vol 1, no 1 , pp 73 - 81.
- Hartley, J. and Notley, T. (2005), 'User-led Content and Self-creating Communities: History Repeating Itself? Understanding 'Internet Radio' in the Context of the Development of Radio.', Radio in the World: Radio Conference 2005, August 2005, RMIT University, Melbourne, Melbourne.
- Notley, T. and Tacchi, J. (2005), 'The creative potential of new media technologies: Youth Internet Radio Network.', The 2005 Annual Conference of the Cultural Studies Association of Australasia, Perth, Australia., Perth.
- 2018, 'invisiblecity: Emotion Mapping App', Published Work
- 2017, 'News and Australian Children: How Young People Access, Perceive and are Affected by the News', Research Report
- 2016, 'InWesternSydney', Published Work
- 2015, 'Video for Change: Creating and Measuring Social Impact: A Working Paper by the Video4Change Network', Research Report
- 2015, 'Invisible City Project Website', Published Work
- 2014, 'Engaging New Audiences: A Guide for Think Tanks', Research Report
- 2013, 'Evidence & Influence Micromagazine', Published Work
- 2013, 'Video for Change Impact Evaluation Scoping Study: A Summary of Key Research Findings', Research Report
- 2009, '10 tactics for turning information into action. Research, project management and film script by Tanya Notley. http://www.informationactivism.org/', Published Work
- 2009, 'Extreme Poverty Policies of Donors in Bangladesh: An Overview', Research Report
communication and social change, data politics, data centers, internet rights and governance, telecommunications and media policy, communication and activism, development communication, new media convergence, mobile communication, participatory and action research, media and ethnography, media and emotion.
communication and social change, digital communication and advocacy, strategtic communication, documentary production, visualising information, digital research methods, storytelling, radio production.
Past Funded Research Projects
2012-2013. 'Investigating translation practices in video activism across the Asia-Pacific.' (with Juan Salazar). Funded by the UWS Digital Media Research initiative.
2011-2013. 'Strengthening and Securing Net Activism: Enabling actors for change to increase the free flow of information and Freedom of Expression online' (Tactical Technology Collective). Funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency. (I co-authored this project and acted as an Associate Research Fellow during its implementation.)
This information has been contributed by Doctor Notley.
|Title:||Data Centres and the Governance of Labour and Territory|
|Western Researchers:||Brett Neilson, Ned Rossiter and Tanya Notley|
|Years:||2016-06-30 - 2020-05-31|
|Title:||The Video4Change Community and Impact Toolkit [via EngageMedia]|
|Western Researchers:||Tanya Notley|
|Years:||2014-01-03 - 2015-11-30|
|Title:||Digital Capacity Index: Measuring the Digital Capacity of Australian Families|
|Western Researchers:||Amanda Third, Paul James, Philippa Collin, Liam Magee, Tanya Notley and Louise Crabtree|
|Years:||2015-10-15 - 2016-10-14|
|Title:||Young and Resilient Living Lab Foundation Project|
|Western Researchers:||Amanda Third, Philippa Collin, Liam Magee, Tanya Notley, Louise Crabtree, Katrina Sandbach, Michelle Catanzaro, Peter Bansel, Nida Denson and Milissa Deitz|
|Years:||2016-12-05 - 2018-06-30|
|Title:||Young and Well Cooperative Research Centre - YAWCRC - Engaging Creativity Through Technologies P2:P2|
|Western Researchers:||Amanda Third, Kerry Robinson, Nida Denson, Peter Bansel, Tanya Notley, Katrina Sandbach, Michelle Catanzaro and Milissa Deitz|
|Years:||2013-06-25 - 2016-12-25|
|Title:||Children and News Media Literacy in Australia|
|Western Researchers:||Tanya Notley and Flora Zhong|
|Years:||2017-09-10 - 2017-12-15|
Doctor Notley is available to be a principal supervisor for doctoral projects
|Thesis Title:||Australian youth-led activist organisations and the everyday shaping of political subjectivities in the digital age|
|Field of Research:||Other Society And Culture|
|Thesis Title:||Technological spaces and network governance: Transformations in the Australian migration industry|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Beyond the 'Docile Subject': Women's uses of Self-Tracking Apps and Wearable Technologies as Ethical Self-Making|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Human Rights Acts. Media Reform and Politics in Argentina|
|Field of Research:||Studies In Human Society|
|Description:||An emotion mapping platform and project|
|Title:||Young Australians and fake news|
|Description:||Published in The Conversation, November 2017|
|Title:||Evidence & Influence Micro-Magazine|
|Description:||As co-editor of this four-part series I wrote and edited numerous articles. The four issues are: Environment + Justice; Gender + Violence; Transparency + Accountability; Protest.|
|Title:||Rare earths and our insatiable appetite for digital memory|
|Description:||Published in The Conversation, November 2013|
|Title:||Why digital privacy and security are important for development|
|Description:||Article published in the Guardian Magazine, August 2011|
|Title:||Video for Change and Impact|
|Description:||I blog on this topic as part of the Video4Change network|