Doctor Suzanne Grant
Senior Research Fellow - Integrative Oncology,
NICM Health Research Institute
Dr Grant is a Senior Research Fellow Western Sydney University (WSU). She holds a joint position in research at the National Institute of Complementary Medicine (NICM) and the Chris O'Brien Lifehouse, a major cancer hospital in Sydney. She is currently investigating options and outcomes in integrative oncology, and integrative health care. Her professional goal is to undertake and facilitate the pragmatic use of research to inform clinical practice and shape public health policy on traditional, complementary and integrative medicine.
As a Senior Research Fellow, Dr Grant's research focus is on investigations and clinical trials that answer practical questions, including: Are patient outcomes improved with co-management by different provider types? What model of care best serves people with cancer? What aspects of care matter most to patients? Information gained in these and other studies needs then to be translated into knowledge that improves patient care, policy guidelines, access and reimbursement.
Her current work is as the Integrative Oncology and Chinese Medicine Lead, Western Sydney Integrative Healthcare centre at Westmead; and conducting joint clinical Integrative Oncology research between NICM and the Chris O'Brien Lifehouse.
Current projects: evaluation of integrative health centres as a model of care, yoga and mindfulness in integrative oncology settings, acupuncture and reflexology during chemotherapy, mushrooms and cancer, micronutrient deficiency in people with cancer.
Dr Grant has been an invited speaker at international forums including International Society for Complementary Medicine Reseach (2015, 2018, 2019), Clinical Oncology Society of Australia (COSA), 2017; Integrative Oncology Symposium, Perth, 2017; European Congress for Integrative Medicine, Global Summit on Integrative Medicine and Healthcare, Denmark, 2015. She is currently a Temporary Advisor on Traditional medicine research for WHO South East Asian Regional Office (SEARO) and was an invited speaker at the SEARO traditional medicine group meeting in Jamnagar, India 2019.
Dr Grant is an Editorial Board Member of the Integrative Cancer Therapies journal and peer reviews for BMC Complementary Therapies, European Journal of Integrative Medicine, Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine and the Journal of Complementary and Integrative Medicine. She was a technical advisor to the Standards Australia Committees and Joint Standards Australia/Standards New Zealand Committee: ISO Working Group Traditional Chinese Medicine 2013-2016. She is an appointed member of the COSA Integrative Medicines Executive Group and a member of the Western Sydney University External Advisory Committee for Chinese medicine programs.
She retains a small clinical practice and has been a Chinese Medicine practitioner in an integrative medical centre setting for over 15 years.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Grant.
- PhD University of Western Sydney
- BA University of Western Sydney
- Society of Integrative Oncology (2014)
- Clinical Oncology Society of Australia (2014 - 2014)
- International Society of Complementary Medicine Research (2014)
- Chinese Herbs
- Health Service Delivery
- Integrative Healthcare
- Research Methodologies
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- NICM Health Research Institute
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 400421 Research Methods for Humanities and Social Sciences, 2017
- 400568 Evidence Based Practice in Chinese Medicine 2, 2013
- 400865 Evidence-Based Practice, 2016
- 400870 Population Health and Society, 2017
Chapters in Books
- Chang, D., Nammi, S. and Grant, S. (2012), 'Traditional understanding, modern science, and usage of herbal medicines for diabetes', Innovation in Healthy and Functional Foods, CRC Press 9781439862674.
- Ee, C., Templeman, K., Grant, S., Avard, N., de Manincor, M. and Hunter, J. (2020), 'Informing the model of care for an academic integrative healthcare centre : a qualitative study exploring healthcare consumer perspectives', BMC Complementary Medicine and Therapies, vol 20, no 1 .
- Hunter, J., Grant, S., Ee, C. and Templeman, K. (2020), 'What do medical specialists think about a proposed academic, integrative health centre in Australia? : a qualitative study', Complementary Therapies in Medicine, vol 53 .
- Ee, C., Courten, B., Avard, N., de Manincor, M., Al-Dabbas, M., Hao, J., McBride, K., Dubois, S., White, R., Fleming, C., Egger, G., Blair, A., Stevens, J., MacMillan, F., Deed, G., Grant, S., Templeman, K. and Chang, D. (2020), 'Shared medical appointments and mindfulness for Type 2 diabetes : a mixed-methods feasibility study', Frontiers in Endocrinology, vol 11 .
- Grant, S., Marthick, M. and Lacey, J. (2019), 'Establishing an integrative oncology service in the Australian healthcare setting : the Chris O'Brien Lifehouse Hospital experience', Supportive Care in Cancer, vol 27, no 6 , pp 2069 - 2076.
- Grant, S., Hunter, J., Seely, D., Balneaves, L., Rossi, E. and Bao, T. (2019), 'Integrative oncology : international perspectives', Integrative Cancer Therapies, vol 18, no 1 , pp 1 - 11.
- Hunter, J., Smith, C., Delaney, G., Templeman, K., Grant, S. and Ussher, J. (2019), 'Coverage of cancer services in Australia and providers' views on service gaps : findings from a national cross-sectional survey', BMC Cancer, vol 19, no 1 .
- Lai, B., Cao, H., Yang, G., Jia, L., Grant, S., Fei, Y., Wong, E., Li, X., Yang, X. and Liu, J. (2019), 'Acupuncture for treatment of erectile dysfunction : a systematic review and meta-analysis', The World Journal of Men's Health, vol 37, no 3 , pp 322 - 338.
- Grant, S., Hunter, J., Bensoussan, A. and Delaney, G. (2018), 'Guidance for establishing an integrative oncology service in the Australian healthcare setting : a discussion paper', Supportive Care in Cancer, vol 26, no 2 , pp 471 - 481.
- Smith, C., Hunter, J., Delaney, G., Ussher, J., Templeman, K., Grant, S. and Oyston, E. (2018), 'Integrative oncology and complementary medicine cancer services in Australia : findings from a national cross-sectional survey', BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol 18 .
- Avard, N. and Grant, S. (2018), 'A case report of a novel, integrative approach to Hashimoto's thyroiditis with unexpected results', Advances in Integrative Medicine, vol 5, no 2 , pp 75 - 79.
- Zhang, H., Zhang, H., Grant, S., Wan, X. and Li, G. (2018), 'Single herbal medicine for diabetic retinopathy (Review)', Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol 2018, no 12 .
- Klupp, N., Chang, D., Hawke, F., Kiat, H., Cao, H., Grant, S. and Bensoussan, A. (2015), 'Ganoderma lucidum mushroom for the treatment of cardiovascular risk factors (Review)', Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol 2 .
- Grant, S., Smith, C., De Silva, N. and Su, C. (2015), 'Defining the quality of acupuncture : the case of acupuncture for cancer-related fatigue', Integrative Cancer Therapies, vol 14, no 3 , pp 258 - 270.
- Grant, S., Frawley, J. and Bensoussan, A. (2015), 'Process of care in outpatient integrative healthcare facilities : a systematic review of clinical trials', BMC Health Services Research, vol 15, no 1 .
- Su, C., Wang, L., Grant, S. and Liu, J. (2014), 'Chinese herbal medicine for cancer-related fatigue : a systematic review of randomized clinical trials', Complementary Therapies in Medicine, vol 22, no 3 , pp 567 - 579.
- Taylor, P., Pezzullo, L., Grant, S. and Bensoussan, A. (2014), 'Cost-effectiveness of acupuncture for chronic nonspecific low back pain', Pain Practice, vol 14, no 7 , pp 599 - 606.
- Grant, S. and Bensoussan, A. (2014), 'The process of care in integrative health care settings : a qualitative study of US practices', BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol 14 .
- Witt, C., Rafferty Withers, S., Grant, S., Lauer, M., Tunis, S. and Berman, B. (2014), 'What can comparative effectiveness research contribute to integrative health in international perspective?', Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol 20, no 11 , pp 874 - 880.
- Grant, S., Schnyer, R., Chang, D., Fahey, P. and Bensoussan, A. (2013), 'Interrater reliability of Chinese medicine diagnosis in people with prediabetes', Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol 2013 , pp 1 - 8.
- Grant, S., Chang, D., Liu, J., Wong, V., Kiat, H. and Bensoussan, A. (2013), 'Chinese herbal medicine for impaired glucose tolerance : a randomized placebo controlled trial', BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol 13, no 1 , pp 104 - 113.
- Smith, C., Crowther, C. and Grant, S. (2013), 'Acupuncture for induction of labour', Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol 8 .
- Liu, Z., Xie, L., Zhu, J., Li, G., Grant, S. and Liu, J. (2013), 'Herbal medicines for fatty liver diseases', Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol 8 , pp 1 - 249.
- Smith, C., Grant, S., Lyttleton, J. and Cochrane, S. (2012), 'Using a Delphi consensus process to develop an acupuncture treatment protocol by consensus for women undergoing Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) treatment', BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol 12 .
- Grant, S., Bin, Y., Kiat, H. and Chang, D. (2012), 'The use of complementary and alternative medicine by people with cardiovascular disease : a systematic review', BMC Public Health, vol 12 , pp 1 - 9.
- Kiat, H., Bin, Y., Grant, S. and Chang, D. (2011), 'Complementary Medicine Use in Cardiovascular Disease: A Clinician's Viewpoint.', The Medical Journal of Australia, vol 195, no 11 , pp 654 - 656.
- Grant, S., Bensoussan, A., Chang, D., Kiat, H., Klupp, N., Liu, J. and Li, X. (2009), 'Chinese herbal medicines for people with impaired glucose tolerance or impaired fasting blood glucose', Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol 4 , pp 1 - 106.
- Klupp, N., Chang, D., Hawke, F., Kiat, H., Grant, S. and Bensoussan, A. (2008), 'Ganoderma lucidum for the treatment of cardiovascular risk factors', Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, , no 3 .
- Grant, S., Bensoussan, A., Chang, D., Kiat, H., Klupp, N. and Liu, J. (2007), 'Chinese herbal medicines for people with impaired glucose tolerance or impaired fasting blood glucose dysmenorrhoea (protocol)', Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, vol 2007, no 3 , pp 1 - 17.
- 2017, 'Integrative Oncology in Australia 2016: Mapping Service Provision and Exploring Unmet Needs', Report
Dr. Grant focus is on integrative oncology and integrative health care. She is a lead clinicial and research fellow at the Chris O'Brien Lifehouse Cancer Hospital where she is evaluating the service and supervising indivdual research projects. She has a leading role in establishing the Western Sydney Integrative Health centre at Westmead. This role involves designing the protocol for evaluating the centre, the policies and guidelines to support it's operation and a specific role in developing the integrative oncology program within the Centre.
Patient reported outcome measures and the Evaluation of an integrative oncology service.
Evaluation of an acupuncture and reflexology service in chemotherapy
Supervision of individual RCTs on acupuncture and Chinese herbs in supportive cancer care.
Establishment Australia's first academic integrative health care centre: the Western Sydney Integrative Health (WSIH) centre at Westmead
Evaluation of WSIH
This information has been contributed by Doctor Grant.
|Thesis Title:||Evaluation of an individualised yoga intervention in cancer patients with major depression|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Electro acupuncture for improving erectile dysfunction after robot assissted radical prostatecomy. A randomised controlled trial|
|Field of Research:|