Doctor Son Truong
Lecturer In Pdhpe Curriculum & Pedagogy,
Secondary Education (soe)
Education & Qualifications
PhD (University of Alberta); Postgrad Cert. in International Development (University of East London); MA (University of Alberta); BSc (Dalhousie University)
Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS ID 66121); RYT
Dr. Son Truong is lectures in Health and Physical Education (Curriculum and Pedagogy) in the School of Education, and is a member of the Sustainability Research Team in the Centre for Educational Research, at Western Sydney University (WSU). Son is a former Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) Doctoral Scholar. His research includes a number of individual and collaborative projects, bridging research interests in children’s play, wellbeing, and environments, and internationalisation in higher education.
Son is a recognised educator, receiving the 2009 Leadership in Internationalisation Award from the Canadian Bureau for International Education, and in 2015, he was awarded a Western Sydney University Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning. He currently lectures in the Master of Teaching Primary School and Early Childhood Programs, and supervises postgraduate research students.
Over the past five years, he has been successful in receiving three competitive Western Sydney University research grants, as well as four externally funded grants on collaborative projects. Examples of projects include: the Rouse Hill Child Friendly Play Space project; the overseas study and service-learning EPITOME project; a book entitled Reimagining Sustainability in Precarious Times; the wellbeing of students through outdoor learning and Acceptance Commitment Therapy study; and a current study funded by the Royal Botanic Gardens on the impact of community gardens on personal and community wellbeing.
Son serves as the School of Education’s Overseas Professional Experience Coordinator. He has been leading international engagement projects for over 15 years, and since joining Western Sydney has recently been successful in securing New Colombo Plan and Endeavour Mobility grants to support overseas practicum experiences for School of Education undergraduate and postgraduate students.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Truong.
- PhD University of Alberta (Canada)
- MA University of Alberta (Canada)
- BSc Rec Dalhousie University
- ACHPER/Australia (Australian Council for Health, PE and Recreation) (2012)
- Australian Association for Environmental Education (2014)
- National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (2015)
- Australian Association for Bush Adventure Therapy (2017)
- International Education Association of Australia (2016)
- Dissertation Fellowship (University of Alberta) 2010-05-01
- Western Sydney University Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning 2015-12-01
- Leadership in Internationalization Award, Canadian Bureau for International Education 2009-09-01
- Canada Graduate Scholarship - Doctoral, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada 2007-05-01
- Dalhousie University Alumni Association Medal, Dalhousie University 2002-06-01
- University Medal, Dalhousie University 2002-06-01
- health, wellbeing, environments
- Participatory Action Research (PAR), qualitative methods, participatory photography, and photo-elicitation
- global education and international service-learning
- outdoor and environmental education
- teacher education
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Secondary Education (soe)
- School of Education Overseas Professional Experience Program
|Phone:||(02) 9772 6220|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 101576 Primary Personal Development, Health & Physical Education (PDHPE), 2012
- 102048 Contemporary Childhoods, 2015
- 102072 Primary Health and Physical Education, 2015
- Malone, K., Truong, S. and Gray, T. (2017), 'Reimagining Sustainability in Precarious Times', : Springer 9789811025488.
Chapters in Books
- Malone, K. and Truong, S. (2017), 'Sustainability, education, and anthropocentric precarity', Reimagining Sustainability in Precarious Times, Springer 9789811025488.
- Truong, S. (2017), 'Expanding curriculum pathways between Education for Sustainability (EfS) and Health and Physical Education (HPE)', Reimagining Sustainability in Precarious Times, Springer 9789811025488.
- Truong, S. (2015), 'Pre-service teacher identities and the social construction of childhood', Understanding Sociological Theory for Educational Practices, Cambridge University Press 9781107477469.
- Power, A., Truong, S., Gray, T., Downey, G., Hall, T. and Jones, B. (2017), 'When outbound mobility programs and service learning align in pre-service teacher education', Asia Pacific Education Review, vol 18, no 3 , pp 401 - 412.
- Hall, T., Gray, T., Downey, G., Sheringham, C., Jones, B., Power, A. and Truong, S. (2016), 'Jafari and transformation : a model to enhance short-term overseas study tours', Frontiers: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Study Abroad, vol 27 , pp 33 - 46.
- Jones, B., Power, A., Gray, T., Downey, G., Hall, T. and Truong, S. (2016), 'If you build it, they may not come : why Australian university students do not take part in outbound mobility experiences', Journal of University Teaching and Learning Practice, vol 13, no 3 .
- Truong, S., Gray, T. and Ward, K. (2016), '"Sowing and growing" life skills through garden-based learning to reengage disengaged youth', LEARNing Landscapes, vol 10, no 1 , pp 361 - 385.
- Truong, S. and Mahon, M. (2012), 'Through the lens of participatory photography : engaging Thai children in research about their community play centre', International Journal of Play, vol 1 , pp 75 - 90.
- Truong, S. (2017), 'An experiential exploration of the mindfulness-nature-wellbeing connection', Australian Association for Bush Adventure Therapy. Forum, Romsey, Vic..
- Lloyd, A., Truong, S. and Gray, T. (2016), 'Beyond the walls : within the curriculum : exploring the niche position of place-based outdoor learning for primary schools', International Outdoor Education Research Conference, Unama?ki/Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- Lloyd, A., Gray, T. and Truong, S. (2016), 'Seeing what they see : exploring the potential of GoPro video cameras in outdoor research with children', International Outdoor Education Research Conference, Unama?ki/Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- Breault-Hood, J., Gray, T., Truong, S. and Ullman, J. (2016), 'The impact of outdoor education on the body image and self-efficacy of adolescent girls', International Outdoor Education Research Conference, Unama?ki/Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- Gray, T., Hall, T., Jones, B., Truong, S., Power, A., Sheringham, C., Bailey, P. and Downey, G. (2016), 'Enhancing programs to integrate tertiary outbound mobility experiences (EPITOME)', Developing Global Perspectives Symposium, Sydney, N.S.W..
- Truong, S. and Gray, T. (2016), 'Indigenous connectivity : Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander students' journeys to Canada for study abroad', Australian International Education Conference, Melbourne, Vic..
- Truong, S., Gray, T. and Ward, K. (2016), ''Sowing and growing' life skills through garden-based learning to re-engage disengaged youth', National Outdoor Education Conference, Sunshine Coast, Qld..
- Truong, S. (2016), 'Embodied teaching and learning : exploring the mindfulness-nature-wellbeing connection', National Outdoor Education Conference, Sunshine Coast, Qld..
- Power, A., Truong, S. and Sheringham, C. (2016), 'Intersections of outbound mobility experiences, WIL, and employability', Australian Collaborative Education Network. National Conference, Sydney, N.S.W..
- Truong, S. (2015), ''Stepping out of the comfort zone' : pre-service teachers' reflections on international service-learning', Asian Conference on Education, Kobe, Japan.
- Truong, S. and Crowe, H. (2015), 'Striving for deeper impact in tertiary education through international service-learning in adapted physical activity', Pacific Rim International Conference on Disability and Diversity, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Truong, S. (2015), 'Disrupting childhood? : breaking the cycle of silence around sexuality education in primary schools', Australia Forum on Sexuality, Education and Health National Conference, Parramatter, N.S.W..
- Arthur, L., Ward, K., Cardona, B., Staples, K. and Truong, S. (2015), 'Professional identities : contested discourses', European Early Childhood Education Research Association. Annual Conference, Barcelona, Spain.
- Truong, S. (2014), 'Pathways and possibilities for sustainability education in the primary health and physical education curriculum', Australian Association for Environmental Education. Conference, Hobart, Tasmania.
- Truong, S. (2014), 'Exploring children's active play through place-based methodology', AIESEP World Conference, Auckland, N.Z..
- Truong, S. (2013), 'Exploring the rural-urban divide : child friendly play and participation for Bangkok's most vulnerable children', International Conference on Child Friendly Cities, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- 2017, 'Fostering the Wellbeing of Students With Challenging Behaviour and/or Emotional Needs Through Acceptance Commitment Therapy and Outdoor Learning', Research Report
- 2016, 'Enhancing Programmes Integrating Tertiary Outbound Mobility Experiences (EPITOME): Final Report 2016', Research Report
- 2016, 'Enhancing Programs to Integrate Tertiary Outbound Mobility Experiences (EPITOME) - Final Report 2016', Research Report
- 2014, 'Researching Children's Designs for a Child Friendly Play Space at Rouse Hill Town Centre', Research Report
In general, my research interests converge around issues of child and youth development and wellbeing, with an emphasis on physical activity and play. My work is grounded in cultural-ecological theory and participatory approaches to engaging children and youth in the research process. In addition, influenced by my work with students in Southeast Asia, I am also interested in postsecondary students' experiences of community service-learning and global citizenship education.
SELECTED CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS & SCHOLARLY CONTRIBUTIONS:
Truong, S., & Mahon, M. (accepted). Exploring the cultural construction of children’s play in Thailand: An action research study with the Foundation for Child Development. Action Research.
Truong, S., & Mahon, M. (2012). Through the lens of participatory photography: Engaging Thai children in research about their community play centre, International Journal of Play (1)1, 75-90. doi: 10.1080/21594937.2012.658647
Truong, S., & Mahon, M. (2011, October 26). Exploring Thai views of children’s play: An action research study with the Foundation for Child Development in Thailand. Paper presentation at the IIQM Qualitative Health Research Conference, Vancouver, Canada.
Truong, S., & Mahon, M. (2011, May 5). Exploring Thai children’s play experiences through participatory photography. Poster presented at the Mapping the Landscapes of Childhood Conference, University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, Canada.
Truong, S. (2009, October 15). Preparing students as global citizens through work/study/volunteer abroad. Presented at the Global Citizenship Education Symposium: Local Student/Global Citizen, University of Alberta, Canada.
Truong, S. (2009, January 1). Cooperative learning and Outdoor learning. Sections published in the Ever Active Kids Manual. Alberta Fitness Leadership Certification Association, Edmonton, Canada.
Truong, S., Mahon, M., & Vallentyne, J. (2007, December 13). Sport and play as instruments for sustainable university partnerships in development. Paper presented at the 11th UNESCO-APEID International Conference, Bangkok, Thailand.
Truong, S., & Mahon, M. (2007, May 31). Sport for Development and Peace: A critical reflection for pedagogy and practice. Paper presented at the 2007 Canadian Association for the Study of International Development Congress, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada.
Truong, S., & Mahon, M. (2006, October 19). A critical ethnography of ‘international development through sport’ in Thailand. Poster presented at the 9th World Leisure Congress, Hangzhou, China.
Truong, S. (2005, December 5). Play Around the World - Building community partnerships through sport and play. Poster presented at the 2nd Magglingen Conference on Sport for Development and Peace, Magglingen, Switzerland.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Truong.
|Title:||Child-friendly play spaces in Rouse Hill Town Centre|
|Western Researchers:||Karen Malone, Son Truong and Kumara Ward|
|Years:||2013-12-19 - 2014-04-30|
|Title:||Enhancing Programmes to Integrate Tertiary Outbound Mobility Experiences (EPITOME)|
|Western Researchers:||Tim Hall, Tonia Gray, Anne Power and Son Truong|
|Years:||2014-12-04 - 2017-01-06|
|Title:||Fostering the wellbeing of students with challenging behaviour and/or emotional needs through Acceptance Commitment Therapy|
|Western Researchers:||Tonia Gray, Danielle Tracey, Son Truong and Kumara Ward|
|Years:||2016-09-02 - 2017-04-30|
|Title:||A photo-elicitation pilot study on children's views of play opportunities in Greater Western Sydney|
|Western Researchers:||Son Truong and Christine Woodrow|
|Years:||2012-10-24 - 2014-03-31|
Doctor Truong is available to be a principal supervisor for doctoral projects
|Thesis Title:||Why are boys not into school? Measuring boys' engagement with school and its contributing factors|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Identifying challenges of autonomous learning among international HDR (Higher Degree Research) students in Australia|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Investigation the Status of Climate Change Education for Sustainable Development in Vietnam: a Study of Opportunities and Barriers|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||The Impact of Outdoor Education on the Body Image and Self-Concept of Adolescent Females|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Implementation of Conservation Education Programs at the Taronga Zoo|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Placed-based Outdoor Learning Enriching Curriculum: A Case Study in an Australian Primary School|
|Field of Research:||CURRICULUM STUDIES; OTHER EDUCATION; EDUCATION STUDIES|
|Thesis Title:||Bush Tracks And Backyards: Intergenerational Changes and Challenges for Children Claiming Play Spaces.|
|Field of Research:||TEACHER EDUCATION NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED|
|Title:||Disrupting childhood? Breaking the cycle of silence around sexuality education in primary schools|
|Description:||21st Century Learning Blog. School of Education, Western Sydney University|