Doctor Sarah Duffy
Hospitality, Marketing & Sport
Dr Sarah Duffy a Senior Lecturer at Western Sydney University who researches gender equity in institutional contexts. Dr Duffy is a qualitative researcher whose work focuses on the intersection between policy, practice and lived experience. Dr Duffy has recently led a white paper project about menstrual policy in Australia. Her other ongoing research projects relate to return to work after parental leave, the impact of menstruation of university students work and education, women in leadership, Endometriosis in the workplace and sexual assault and harassment in the workplace. Sarah's professional experience is in the field of marketing as a brand manager. Sarah publishes in high impact, international scholarly journals, has over 370k reads on The Conversation and regularly engages with the media to advocate for social change.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Duffy.
- PhD University of New South Wales
- MMktg University of New South Wales
- BBus University of Newcastle (NSW)
- Charles C. Slater Memorial Award for Best Paper 2018-07-02
- Charles C. Slater Memorial Award for Best Paper 2019-06-29
- The George Fisk Award for the Best Conference Paper 2017-07-03
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Hospitality, Marketing & Sport
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 200557 Enterprise Internship, 2021
- 200737 Marketing Systems, 2019
- 200920 Enterprise Internship, 2019
- 201025 Social Marketing, 2021
- HDG116 Marketing Systems, 2021
Chapters in Books
- O'Shea, M., Maxwell, H., Maxwell, H., Duffy, S. and Lourey-Bird, M. (2023), 'COVID-19 and women's professional sport pandemic effects : mitigating, manoeuvring and reimagining?', Routledge Handbook of Sport and COVID-19, Routledge 9781032009070.
- O'Shea, M., Maxwell, H., Peel, N. and Duffy, S. (2023), 'Tackling gender inequality and promoting a healthy lifestyle : the women in sport roadshow', Social Marketing: Principles and Practice for Delivering Global Change, Routledge 9781032059662.
- O'Shea, M., Maxwell, H., Maxwell, H. and Duffy, S. (2021), 'Covid-19 crisis response : did Australian professional sport move fast enough?', Time Out: National Perspectives on Sport and the Covid-19 Lockdown, Common Ground Research Networks 9780949313430.
- O'Shea, M., Maxwell, H., Maxwell, H., Duffy, S. and Peel, N. (2020), 'One step forward and two steps back? : pandemic effects and women's sport in Australia', Impacts and Implications for the Sports Industry in the Post-COVID-19 Era, IGI Global 9781799867807.
- Duffy, S. and Dwyer, L. (2019), 'Tourism in a protected landscape : challenges to sustainable development ', Tourism Policy and Planning Implementation: Issues and Challenges, Routledge 9781138060746.
- Duffy, S., Layton, R. and Dwyer, L. (2018), 'Whale shark tourism at Ningaloo Reef : successes, challenges and what's next?', Coral Reefs: Tourism, Conservation and Management, Routledge 9781138689831.
- Duffy, S. and Layton, R. (2018), 'Whale sharks, Ningaloo Reef, Western Australia', Social Marketing: Rebels with a Cause, Routledge 9781138123823.
- Duffy, S., O'Shea, M. and Tang, L. (2023), 'Sexually harassed, assaulted, silenced, and now heard : institutional betrayal and its affects', Gender, Work and Organization, vol 30, no 4 , pp 1387 - 1406.
- Layton, R., Domegan, C. and Duffy, S. (2022), '[In Press] Getting things right : diagnose and design in the evolution of community provisioning systems', Journal of Macromarketing, .
- Duffy, S. and O'Shea, M. (2022), 'Power & consent by Rachel Doyle SC : challenging the secrecy, blame & shame that occurs in cases of sexual harassment in Australian workplaces', Gender, Work and Organisation, vol 29, no 2 , pp 697 - 702.
- Duffy, S., O'Shea, M., Bowyer, D. and van Esch, P. (2022), '[In Press] Sexism in the silences at Australian Universities : parental leave in name, but not in practice', Gender, Work and Organisation, .
- Gilbert, E., O'Shea, M. and Duffy, S. (2021), 'Gender equality mainstreaming and the Australian academy : paradoxical effects?', Discover Psychology, vol 1 .
- Duffy, S., Van Esch, P. and Yousef, M. (2020), 'Increasing parental leave uptake : a systems social marketing approach', Australasian Marketing Journal, vol 28, no 2 , pp 110 - 118.
- Duffy, S., Bruce, K., Moroko, L. and Groeger, L. (2020), 'Customer orientation : its surprising origins, tumultuous development and place in the future of marketing thought and practice', Australasian Marketing Journal, vol 28, no 4 , pp 181 - 188.
- Esch, P., Duffy, S., Teufel, J., Northey, G., Elder, E., Frethey-Bentham, C., Cook, T. and Heller, J. (2019), 'ExerStart : helping seniors be active and independent for less', Journal of Social Marketing, vol 9, no 2 , pp 146 - 160.
- Layton, R. and Duffy, S. (2018), 'Path dependency in marketing systems : where history matters and the future casts a shadow', Journal of Macromarketing, vol 38, no 4 , pp 400 - 414.
- Duffy, S., Northey, G. and van Esch, P. (2017), 'Iceland : how social mechanisms drove the financial collapse and why it's a wicked problem', Journal of Social Marketing, vol 7, no 3 .
- Duffy, S., Layton, R. and Dwyer, L. (2017), 'When the commons call "enough", does marketing have an answer?', Journal of Macromarketing, vol 37, no 3 , pp 268 - 285.
- van Esch, P., Northey, G., Duffy, S., Heller, J. and Striluk, M. (2017), 'The moderating influence of country of origin information seeking on homophily and product satisfaction', Journal of Promotion Management, vol 24, no 3 , pp 1 - 17.
- Ngo, L., Northey, G., Duffy, S., Thao, H. and Tam, L. (2016), 'Perceptions of others, mindfulness, and brand experience in retail service setting', Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, vol 33 , pp 43 - 52.
Sarah's research interests are primarily focused on gender equity within the workplace. Sarah is also working on projects in the following areas:
* Parental leave for Dads
* Menstrual Equity in the workplace & higher education
* Supporting parents return to work after parental leave
* Equity, inclusion and diversity within the workplace
* Critical marketing
This information has been contributed by Doctor Duffy.
|Title:||Endo@Work: Developing workplace guidelines for people with Endometriosis|
|Western Researchers:||Mike Armour, Sarah Duffy, Michelle O'Shea and Alex Hawkey|
|Years:||2022-06-01 - 2023-10-07|
|Title:||Family Inclusive Certification|
|Western Researchers:||Emilee Gilbert, Sarah Duffy, Michelle O'Shea and Alina Ewald|
|Years:||2023-06-26 - 2023-07-03|
|Title:||Family Friendly Workplaces Review|
|Western Researchers:||Emilee Gilbert, Sarah Duffy and Michelle O'Shea|
|Years:||2023-03-06 - 2023-04-05|