Doctor Ramy Bishay
Conjoint Senior Lecturer,
School of Medicine
Ramy is a staff specialist endocrinologist and clinical lead of the Metabolic & Weight Loss Program at Blacktown Hospital. He is also staff specialist endocrinologist at general physician at Canterbury Hospital. He did his endocrinology and physician's training at St Vincent's, Concord, Blacktown and St George Hospitals. He hails from Toronto, Canada where he graduated from the University of Toronto with a bachelor's in biology, chemisty and philosophy, and completed a master's by disertation in cardiac transplantation. Ramy studied medicine at the University of Sydney where he received honours for evaluating intensive lifestyle as a successful approach into achieving sustainable weight loss and improved glycemic outcomes at Concord Hospital. He has published over 16 publications (including a book) and has given talks at both national and international conferences in endocrinology and in the field of obesity. Ramy enjoys teaching and is adjunct associate lecturer at University of Notre Dame, University of Sydney and Western Sydney University. He was also a lead in establishing the multi-specialty metabolic obesity clinic that is now underway in Blacktown, which is slated to become the largest program of its kind in the country.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Bishay.
- Australian and New Zealand Obesity Society (2015)
- Australian Diabetes Society (2013)
- Royal Australasian College of Physicians (2014)
- US ENDO (2016)
- Australian Diabetes Society Travel Grant 2017-08-01
- EndoCareers Early Career Forum Travel Award (US ENDO) 2017-03-30
- Avant Doctor in Training Research Scholarship 2017-04-05
- Research Training Competition (RESTRACOMP) Studentship, The Hospital for Sick Children 2006-06-12
- New College Student Council Award, University of Toronto 2006-05-15
- University of Toronto Open Fellowship 2004-10-04
- University of Toronto Open Fellowship 2005-09-06
- Ontario Student Opportunity Trust Fund - Cardiovascular Award, University of Toronto 2005-11-09
- Erindale College Student Union Volunteer Award, University of Toronto 2004-06-09
- Department of Medical Biophysics Summer Studentship, University of Toronto 2002-08-06
- Aiming for the Top Tuition Scholarship (Government of Ontario) 2000-09-11
- Aiming for the Top Tuition Scholarship (Government of Ontario) 2001-09-12
- Inducted Member, Golden Key International Honour Society, University of Toronto 2001-03-05
- Early Career Research Award Nomination, ANZ Obesity Society (ANZOS) 2016-10-05
- Travel grant, Australian Diabetes Society, John Turtle Workshop 2015-02-02
- 1st Place Cardiovascular Poster Award, Frontiers in Physiology, University of Toronto 2006-06-07
- Gestational diabetes and postnatal outcomes
- Metabolic bone disease
- PCOS, hypogonadism, menopause
- Pituitary and adrenal disorders
- Thyroid disorders
- Type 1 diabetes, insulin pumps
- Type 2 diabetes
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- School of Medicine
- NSW Metabolic Surgical Committee
- SLHD Inpatient Hyperglycaemia Management subcommittee
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
- Bishay, R. (2008), 'Seeing the Transplanted Mouse Heart Like Never Before: New Insights into Experimental Heart Rejection using Novel Ultrasound Applications', : VDM Verlag Dr. Muller 9783836487382.
- Atlantis, E., Kormas, N., Samaras, K., Fahey, P., Sumithran, P., Glastras, S., Wittert, G., Fusco, K., Bishay, R., Markovic, T., Ding, L., Williams, K., Caterson, I., Chikani, V., Dugdale, P. and Dixon, J. (2018), 'Clinical obesity services in public hospitals in Australia : a position statement based on expert consensus', Clinical Obesity, vol 8, no 3 , pp 203 - 210.
- Bishay, R. and Kormas, N. (2018), 'Halving your cake and eating it, too : a case-based discussion and review of metabolic rehabilitation for obese adults with diabetes', Current Diabetes Reviews, vol 14, no 3 , pp 246 - 256.
- Meyerowitz-Katz, G., Branwell, S., Jayaballa, R., Bishay, R., Corless, I., Ravi, S., Soars, L., Feng, X., Astell-Burt, T., Manoharan, M., McLean, M. and Maberly, G. (2018), 'Effectiveness of joint specialist case conferences for building general practice capacity to enhance diabetes care : a pilot study in Western Sydney, Australia', Journal of Integrated Care, vol 26, no 3 , pp 199 - 210.
- Bishay, R., Meyerowitz-Katz, G., Chandrakumar, D., Jayaballa, R., Hng, T., McLean, M., Punchihewa, D., Jeyaprakash, M., Burgess, D., Riskallah, J. and Maberly, G. (2018), 'Evaluating the diabetes-cardiology interface : a glimpse into the diabetes management of cardiology inpatients in western Sydney's 'diabetes hotspot' and the establishment of a novel model of care', Diabetology and Metabolic Syndrome, vol 10, no 1 .
- Bishay, R. and Greenfield, J. (2017), 'A review of maturity onset diabetes of the young (MODY) and challenges in the management of glucokinase-MODY', Medical Journal of Australia, vol 207, no 5 , pp 223 - 2231.
- Bishay, R., Ganda, K. and Seibel, M. (2017), 'Long-term iron polymaltose infusions associated with hypophosphataemic osteomalacia : a report of two cases and review of the literature', Therapeutic Advances in Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol 8, no 1-2 , pp 14 - 19.
- Bishay, R. and Kormas, N. (2017), 'Self-empowerment and health outcomes in obese adults with type 2 diabetes following completion of a multi-disciplinary metabolic rehabilitation program', Endocrinology and Metabolism International Journal, vol 5, no 2 .
- Bishay, R. and Greenfield, J. (2016), 'A review of maturity onset diabetes of the young (MODY) and challenges in the management of glucokinase-MODY', Medical Journal of Australia, vol 205, no 10 , pp 480 - 485.
- Bishay, R. and Chen, R. (2016), 'Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Graves' disease in one patient : the extremes of thyroid dysfunction associated with interferon treatment', Case Reports in Endocrinology, vol 2016 .
- Bishay, R. and Suryawanshi, A. (2016), 'Artifactual hypoglycaemia in systemic sclerosis and Raynaud's phenomenon : a clinical case report and short review', Case Reports in Endocrinology, vol 2016 .
- Lih, A., Pereira, L., Bishay, R., Zang, J., Omari, A., Atlantis, E. and Kormas, N. (2015), 'A novel multi-disciplinary intervention for long-term weight loss and glycaemic control in obese patients with diabetes', Journal of Diabetes Research, vol 2015 .
- Bishay, R., Peaton, J. and Abraham, V. (2015), 'Variant Guillain-Barre Syndrome in a patient with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma', Case Reports in Hematology, vol 2015 .
- Bishay, R. and Kormas, N. (2015), 'How to investigate weight gain in an adult : 'I've put on so much weight, doc'', Endocrinology Today, vol 4, no 5 , pp 40 - 42.
- Bishay, R., Omari, A., Zhang, J., Lih, A. and Kormas, N. (2013), 'Divide and conquer : the multidisciplinary approach to achieving significant long-term weight loss and improved glycemic control in obese patients with type 2 diabetes', Clinical Diabetes, vol 31, no 1 , pp 14 - 20.
- Bishay, R., Jiang, S., Roberts, D., Tse, V. and Jardine, M. (2012), 'Obstructive nephropathy secondary to a massive vesical calculus', Internal Medicine Journal, vol 42, no 4 , pp 471 - 472.
- Bishay, R. (2011), 'The 'mighty mouse' model in experimental cardiac transplantation', Hypothesis, vol 9, no 1 .
- Zhou, Y., Bishay, R., Feintuch, A., Tao, K., Golding, F., Zhu, W., West, L. and Henkelman, R. (2007), 'Morphological and functional evaluation of murine heterotopic cardiac grafts using ultrasound biomicroscopy', Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol 33, no 6 , pp 870 - 879.
- Bishay, R. (2006), 'Lent, lust and the libido : what patristic theology taught us about testosterone biosynthesis', Hypothesis, vol 4, no 2 , pp 4 - 7.
- Bishay, R. (2006), 'Cardiac allograft vasculopathy : the silent, long-suffering enemy', Hypothesis, vol 4, no 1 , pp 19 - 27.
Diabetes management in cardiology inpatients
Clozapine patients and metabolic risk
Obesity management in hopsital audit
PCOS, thyroid disease
Osteoporosis, osteomalacia and bone loss following significant weight loss
Hypogonadism and obesity
For a full list, please go to:
This information has been contributed by Doctor Bishay.
|Description:||Online information endocrinology services|