Doctor Rakime Elmir
School of Nursing and Midwifery
Rakime Elmir is a registered midwife and lecturer in the School of Nursing and Midwifery. For several years, Rakime has worked in a variety of maternity settings. She completed her PhD in 2012 which focused on women's experiences of severe postpartum haemorrhage and emergency hysterectomy. Following on from her doctoal work, Rakime has explored fathers' experiences of birth trauma and midwives experiences of obstetric emergencies.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Elmir.
- PhD University of Western Sydney
- GCCT University of Technology, Sydney
- BN University of Western Sydney
- GradDipMidwif University of Western Sydney
- BN University of Western Sydney
- Australian College of Midwives (2004 - 2015)
- Birth trauma
- Fatherhood and birth
- High risk pregnancy and birth
- Perinatal mental health
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- School of Nursing and Midwifery
|Phone:||(02) 4620 3372|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 401001 Primary Health Care in Action, 2014
- 401005 Human Relationships and Life Transitions, 2016
- 401009 Health in a Culturally Diverse Community, 2014
- 401031 Bioscience for Midwifery, 2016
- 401040 Collaborative Care, 2015
- Stulz, V., Elmir, R. and Reilly, H. (2020), 'Evaluation of a student-led midwifery group practice : a woman's perspective', Midwifery, vol 86 .
- Pangas, J., Ogunsiji, O., Elmir, R., Raman, S., Liamputtong, P., Burns, E., Dahlen, H. and Schmied, V. (2019), 'Refugee women's experiences negotiating motherhood and maternity care in a new country : a meta-ethnographic review', International Journal of Nursing Studies, vol 90 , pp 31 - 45.
- Elmir, R., Ramjan, L., Everett, B. and Salamonson, Y. (2019), 'Nursing students' experiences of repeating units in an undergraduate program : a qualitative study', Nurse Education Today, vol 79 , pp 147 - 152.
- Fogarty, S., Elmir, R., Hay, P. and Schmied, V. (2018), 'The experience of women with an eating disorder in the perinatal period : a meta-ethnographic study', BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, vol 18 .
- Elmir, R., Pangas, J., Dahlen, H. and Schmied, V. (2017), 'A meta-ethnographic synthesis of midwives' and nurses' experiences of adverse labour and birth events', Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol 26, no 23-24 , pp 4184 - 4200.
- Elmir, R. and Schmied, V. (2016), 'A meta-ethnographic synthesis of fathers' experiences of complicated births that are potentially traumatic', Midwifery, vol 32 , pp 66 - 74.
- Elmir, R. (2014), 'Finding meaning in life following emergency postpartum hysterectomy : what doesn't kill us makes us stronger', Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, vol 59, no 5 , pp 510 - 515.
- Elmir, R., Schmied, V., Wilkes, L. and Jackson, D. (2012), 'Separation, failure and temporary relinquishment : women's experiences of early mothering in the context of emergency hysterectomy', Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol 21, no 7-8 , pp 1119 - 1127.
- Elmir, R., Jackson, D., Schmied, V. and Wilkes, L. (2012), ''Less feminine and less a woman' : the impact of unplanned postpartum hysterectomy on women', International Journal of Childbirth, vol 2, no 1 , pp 51 - 60.
- Elmir, R., Schmied, V., Jackson, D. and Wilkes, L. (2012), 'Between life and death : women's experiences of coming close to death, and surviving a severe postpartum haemorrhage and emergency hysterectomy', Midwifery, vol 28, no 2 , pp 228 - 235.
- Elmir, R., Schmied, V., Jackson, D. and Wilkes, L. (2011), 'Interviewing people about potentially sensitive topics', Nurse Researcher, vol 19, no 1 , pp 12 - 16.
- Elmir, R., Jackson, D., Beale, B. and Schmied, V. (2010), 'Against all odds : women's experiences of recovery from breast cancer', Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol 19, no 17-18 , pp 2531 - 2538.
- Elmir, R., Schmied, V., Wilkes, L. and Jackson, D. (2010), 'Women's perceptions and experiences of traumatic birth : a meta-ethnography', Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol 66, no 10 , pp 2142 - 2153.
|Title:||Best Pregnancy Care Pathways for women with high risk|
|Western Researchers:||Virginia Schmied, Hannah Dahlen and Rakime Elmir|
|Years:||2019-05-27 - 2020-06-30|
|Title:||A time of joy or distress: Men's experiences of birth trauma|
|Western Researchers:||Rakime Elmir and Virginia Schmied|
|Years:||2012-10-24 - 2014-06-30|
|Title:||Maternal and Infant care in ICU through a postnatal Clinical checklist (MILC) project|
|Western Researchers:||Rakime Elmir and Bronwyn Everett|
|Years:||2019-02-28 - 2019-10-31|
|Title:||An exploration of the Assistant in Midwifery (AIM) role in NSW Public Hospitals|
|Western Researchers:||Elaine Burns, Hazel Keedle and Rakime Elmir|
|Years:||2019-04-23 - 2020-04-23|
|Thesis Title:||Raising health literacy awareness of patients with coronary heart disease to improve self-management: The RHYTHM study|
|Field of Research:|
|Title:||Fathers and the maternity care system|
|Description:||Engaging fathers and families in maternal and newborn healthcare|
|Description:||Exposing the trauma on traumatic birthing experiences|
|Title:||Dads in the delivery room|
|Description:||Fathers presence during birth|
|Title:||Fathers present during birth emergencies|
|Description:||In an emergency during birth, how should maternity services engage with fathers?|
|Title:||Midwives and nurses experiences of adverse birth outcomes|
|Description:||A dent in my armour - Building resilience in midwifery|