Doctor Rachel Morley
Dap - Bachelor Communications,
Dr Rachel Morley is Director of Academic Program for Communication, Screen Media and Creative Industries in the School of Humanities and Communication Arts at Western Sydney University. She is also a member of the Writing and Society Research Centre and the Digital Humanities Research Group.
Rachel teaches at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels in creative writing, networked writing cultures, and media studies. She has received numerous awards for her contributions to student learning including two Western Sydney University Citations for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning (2013 and 2014), a Vice Chancellor's Excellence Award for Postgraduate Training and Supervision (highly commended, 2014), a Vice Chancellor's Excellence Award for Learning and Teaching (2015), and a Vice Chancellor's Professional Development Scholarship (2015). Rachel's research interests and publication areas include literary and creative practice (with a particular interest in biography and autobiography); new media writing technologies; postgraduate pedagogies and academic literacies; theories and practices in qualitative research (including ethnographies of writing and representation); and ageing, creativity and cognition. She has held an ARC grant for a research project based in Central Australia (2012-2016) and has also received funding for an existing collaborative project, 'Ageing Creatively: Creative Writing as a Tool for Healthy Ageing'. Rachel is Assistant Editor and Postgraduate Editor of Global Media Journal - Australian Edition and convenor of the award winning national training event, 'Creative Ecologies: A Postgraduate Retreat in Creative Arts Scholarship'. Her creative praxis PhD, 'Re-membering Michael Field: Scenes From a Biographical Praxis' (Macquarie University, 2009), used fictocriticism and autoethnography to explore the processes and experiences that inform the making of a biographical text in an attempt to understand the effects of those experiences on research and writing, and the production of biographical knowledge more broadly.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Morley.
- PhD Macquarie University
- MA University of Western Sydney
- Writing and Society Research Centre, UWS (2009)
- Digital Humanities Research Group (2014)
- UWS Learning and Teaching Award: Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning 2013-12-10
- UWS Learning and Teaching Award: Citation for Outstanding Contribution To Student Learning 2014-12-09
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Communications (sohca)
- Communications (sohca)
- Communications (sohca)
- First Year Communication Arts Academic Course Advisor
|Phone:||(02) 9685 4668|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Chapters in Books
- Cohen, H., Morley, R., Dallow, P. and Kaufmann, L. (2010), 'Database Narratives: Conceptualising Digital Heitage Databases in Remote Aboriginal Communities', Information Visualization, IEEE computer society, Conference Publishing Services (CPS) 9780769541655.
- Morley, R. (2007), 'From Demidenko to Darville: Scenes from a Literary Carnivale', Metafiction and Metahistory in Contemporary Women's Writing, Palgrave Macmillan 9780230005044.
- Morley, R. (2007), 'Between the Sheets with Michael Field: Conversations in Auto/Bio/Graphy', Michael Field and Their World, Rivendale Press 1904201083.
- Morley, R. (2005), 'A Stitch in Time: An Experiment in Collaboration', Lesbian Academic Couples, Harrington Park Press 9781560236184.
- Jewell, M., Morley, R. and Uhlmann, A. (2019), 'New writing in an aged care setting', New Writing, vol 16, no 2 , pp 206 - 219.
- Cohen, H. and Morley, R. (2015), 'The visual remediation of a complex narrative : reimagining the "small world" stories of Journey to Horseshoe Bend', Scholarly and Research Communication, vol 6, no 4 .
- Morley, R. (2012), 'Fighting feeling : re-thinking biographical praxis', Life Writing, vol 9, no 1 , pp 77 - 95.
- Morley, R. (2011), 'Writing Intimate Lives: Mediations in Biographical Praxis', Literature Compass, vol 8, no 12 , pp 962 - 971.
- Morley, R. (2009), 'The trial of Katharine Harris Bradley and Edith Emma Cooper : poets and lovers', Michaelian, vol 1, no 1 .
- Morley, R. (2005), ''A New Sketch of Edith Cooper'', Notes and Queries, vol 52, no 1 , pp 81 - 82.
- Morley, R. (2005), 'A stitch in time: An experiment in collaboration', Journal of Lesbian Studies, vol 9, no 4 , pp 13 - 24.
- Morley, R. (2004), 'Constructing the self, composing the other : auto/fixation and the case of Michael Field', Colloquy, , no 8 .
- Morley, R. (2003), ''Boxed In: Muscling in on Masculine Identities'', Journal of Australian Studies, vol 76, no 2003 , pp 109 - 116.
- 2013, 'Shelf Life', Recorded Work
|Title:||Ageing Creatively: Creative Writing as a Tool for Healthy Ageing|
|Western Researchers:||Anthony Uhlmann, Paul Arthur, Christopher Davis, Denis Burnham, Esther Chang, Jason Ensor, Rachel Hendery, Rachel Morley and Melinda Jewell|
|Years:||2015-03-01 - 2016-06-30|
|Title:||Digital Archives, Datadiversity and Discoverability: The Strehlow Collection as Knowledge Resource for Remote Indigenous Communities|
|Western Researchers:||Hart Cohen, Rachel Morley and Juan Francisco Salazar Sutil|
|Years:||2012-01-24 - 2016-05-31|
Doctor Morley is available to be a principal supervisor for doctoral projects
|Thesis Title:||Graving another Testament: A Critical Discourse Analysis of the Sydney Anglicans Under Peter Jensen 2001- 2010|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||From Rant to Revolution: The Possibilities and Limitations of Motherhood Memoir|
|Field of Research:||Society And Culture|
|Thesis Title:||Online Creative Writing Practice: Designing Digital Creativity Models|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||A Heuristic Inquiry into the Writing Process of a Feature Film Script - The Red Sun Trail|
|Field of Research:||Drama And Theatre Studies; Audio Visual Studies; History; Gender Specific Studies|
|Thesis Title:||Amergein and Burilda: A Story Told on Film|
|Field of Research:||Communication And Media Studies Nec|
|Thesis Title:||Graving Another Testament: A Critical Discourse Analysis of the Sydney Anglicans Under Peter Jensen 2001-2013|
|Field of Research:||Organisation Management; Philosophy And Religious Studies; Other Society And Culture; Religious Studies|
|Thesis Title:||Unbroken: Personal storytelling as a method of illuminating parenting experiences of disability, illness and diversity|
|Field of Research:||Other Creative Arts; Journalism|
|Thesis Title:||Becoming on YouTube: Exploring the Automedial Identities and Narratives of Australian Mummy Vlogging|
|Field of Research:||Communication And Media Studies; Other Society And Culture|