Doctor Nicole Blay
School of Nursing and Midwifery
Dr Blay is a Registered Nurse and Research Fellow (workforce) at the Centre for Applied Nursing Research (CANR) Western Sydney University & SWSLHD. Nicole's extensive clinical and management experience centred around general intensive care and cardio-thoracic medical and surgical nursing including heart-lung transplantation.
Nicole has a strong research background that includes research into vulnerable populations, nurse-patient education, nursing workload and patient outcomes. Research methods, observational-timing studies and analysis of large health datasets to inform the organisation and management of health services and nursing work, being an area of interest.
Nicole graduated with a PhD from the University of Technology Sydney, in 2016. Her thesis The impact of patient transfers and bedspace moves on nurse workload demonstrated the frequency that patients are transferred within and between wards and departments and the impact on nursing workload.
Enthusiastic B(Hons) and Higher Degree Research students interested in the fields of health services, nursing work, cardio-thoracic and/or vulnerable populations are welcomed.
Australian College of Nursing (ACN)
Member ''Workforce Sustainability' Policy Chapter' ACN
This information has been contributed by Doctor Blay.
- PhD University of Technology, Sydney
- Australian College of Nursing (2017)
- Health services research
- Nursing Research
- Nursing Workforce Issues
- Research Methodology
- Cardiopulmonary Health Outcomes
- Health Education and Clinical Interventions Associated with Respiratory Conditions
- Nursing Leadership
- Nursing Practitioner
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- School of Nursing and Midwifery
- Workforce Sustainability ACN Policy Chapter
|Phone:||(02) 8738 9368|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 401208 Research for Nursing and Midwifery, 2019
- Blay, N. and Smith, L. (2020), 'An integrative review of enrolled nurse recruitment and retention', Collegian, vol 27, no 1 , pp 89 - 94.
- Blay, N. and Roche, M. (2020), '[In Press] A systematic review of activities undertaken by the unregulated nursing assistant', Journal of Advanced Nursing, .
- Blay, N., Seremetkoska, M., Morris, J., Holters, G., Ioannou, S., Thomas, V. and Everett, B. (2019), 'Interpreter provision and hospital-associated outcomes within the limited English proficiency population : analysis of administrative data', Journal of General Internal Medicine, vol 34, no 6 , pp 820 - 822.
- Blay, N., Ioannou, S., Seremetkoska, M., Morris, J., Holters, G., Thomas, V. and Everett, B. (2018), 'Healthcare interpreter utilisation : analysis of health administrative data', BMC Health Services Research, vol 18 .
- McNally, B. and Blay, N. (2018), 'Assistants in nursing : scope of practice and pressure injury prevention', Australian Nursing and Midwifery Journal, vol 26, no 3 , pp 46 - 46.
- Blay, N., Roche, M., Duffield, C. and Gallagher, R. (2017), 'Intra-hospital transfers and the impact on nursing workload', Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol 26, no 23-24 , pp 4822 - 4829.
- Duffield, C., Chapman, S., Rowbotham, S. and Blay, N. (2017), 'Nurse-performed endoscopy : implications for the nursing profession in Australia', Policy, Politics and Nursing Practice, vol 18, no 1 , pp 36 - 43.
- Blay, N., Roche, M., Duffield, C. and Xu, X. (2017), 'Intrahospital transfers and adverse patient outcomes : an analysis of administrative health data', Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol 26, no 23-24 , pp 4927 - 4935.
- Blay, N., Duffield, C., Gallagher, R. and Roche, M. (2014), 'A systematic review of time studies to assess the impact of patient transfers on nurse workload', International Journal of Nursing Practice, vol 20, no 6 , pp 662 - 673.
- Blay, N., Duffield, C., Gallagher, R. and Roche, M. (2014), 'Methodological integrative review of the work sampling technique used in nursing workload research', Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol 70, no 11 , pp 2434 - 2449.
- Blay, N., Duffield, C. and Gallagher, R. (2012), 'Patient transfers in Australia : implications for nursing workload and patient outcomes', Journal of Nursing Management, vol 20, no 3 , pp 302 - 310.
- Blay, N., Glover, S., Bothe, J., Lee, S. and Lamont, F. (2012), 'Substance users' perspective of pain management in the acute care environment', Contemporary Nurse, vol 42, no 2 , pp 289 - 297.
- Moran, P., Duffield, C., Donoghue, J., Stasa, H. and Blay, N. (2011), 'Factors impacting on career progression for nurse executives', Contemporary Nurse, vol 38, no 1-2 , pp 45 - 55.
- Duffield, C., Roche, M., Blay, N. and Stasa, H. (2011), 'Nursing unit managers, staff retention and the work environment', Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol 20, no 1-2 , pp 23 - 33.
- Duffield, C., Roche, M., Blay, N., Thoms, D. and Stasa, H. (2011), 'The consequences of executive turnover', Journal of Research in Nursing, vol 16, no 6 , pp 503 - 514.
- Duffield, C., Roche, M., Diers, D., Catling-Paull, C. and Blay, N. (2010), 'Staffing, skill mix and the model of care', Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol 19, no 15-16 , pp 2242 - 2251.
- Blay, N. and Donoghue, J. (2007), 'Enrolled nurse skill extension : metropolitan myth or rural reality?', Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol 24, no 3 , pp 38 - 42.
- Blay, N. and Donoghue, J. (2006), 'Source and content of health information for patients undergoing laparoscopic cholecystectomy', International Journal of Nursing Practice, vol 12, no 2 , pp 64 - 70.
- Blay, N. and Donoghue, J. (2005), 'The effect of pre-admission education on domiciliary recovery following laparoscopic cholecystectomy', Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol 22, no 4 , pp 14 - 19.
- Donoghue, J., Graham, J., Gibbs, J., Mitten-Lewis, S. and Blay, N. (2003), 'Validating components of a falls risk assessment instrument', International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance, vol 16, no 1 , pp 21 - 28.
- Blay, N. and Donoghue, J. (2003), 'The provision and utilisation of casemix and demographic data by nursing managers in seven hospitals', Australian Health Review, vol 26, no 1 , pp 215 - 224.
- Blay, N., Cairns, J., Chisholm, J. and O'Baugh, J. (2002), 'Research into the workload and roles of oncology nurses within an outpatient oncology unit', European Journal of Oncology Nursing, vol 6, no 1 , pp 6 - 12.
- Blay, N., Donoghue, J. and Mitten-Lewis, S. (2002), 'A retrospective comparative study of patients with chest pain and intra-ward transfers', Australian Health Review, vol 25, no 2 , pp 145 - 154.
- Donoghue, J., Decker, V., Mitten-Lewis, S. and Blay, N. (2001), 'Critical care dependency tool : monitoring the changes', Australian Critical Care, vol 14, no 2 , pp 56 - 63.
- Blay, N., Duffield, C., Gallagher, R. and Roche, M. (2018), 'The cost of transferring a patient on nurses and nursing work', RCN International Nursing Research Conference, 16-18 April 2018, University of Birmingham, U.K..
- Blay, N. and Pelosi, J. (2018), 'Australian nurses in a World War 1 Australian military hospital in the UK', Australian College of Nursing. History Conference, Gold Coast, Qld..
Economic evaluation of the Nurse Practitioner role
Comparative study of GradStart/Transition to Practice Programs on nursing and midwifery graduate outcomes
Bridging Language Barriers for CALD Patients (BLEnD): a restrospective analysis of health administrative data to determine the utilisation of the healthcare interpreter service and impact on hospital outcomes in a culturally diverse Local Health District
Exploring Community Health Nurses' work and workload
Harefield Park Hospital (UK) an Australian Hospital in WW1: Identifying the nurses
This information has been contributed by Doctor Blay.
|Title:||WesternFront Association NSW Branch|
|Description:||Presentation 27-4-2019 The Australian Nurses at Harefield Hospital, location of the 1st Australian Auxiliary Hospital|
|Description:||Web search engine for scholarly publications|
|Description:||A unique identification system for research contributions and publications|
|Description:||A a social networking site for scientists and researchers|