Doctor Milad Milani
Dr Milad Milani is a researcher and lecturer of religion at Western Sydney University, Australia. He is also a Member of the Religion and Society Research Cluster, and convenes units of study in the History, International Studies and Politics (HISP) and Islamic Studies majors in the University’s School of Humanities and Communication Arts. Dr Milani’s doctorate was conferred in 2009 by The University of Sydney, Australia. Formally trained in the multi-disciplinary field of religious studies, he is interested in the study of religious beliefs, behaviours, and institutions.
Dr Milani’s research broadly seeks to define, compare, and interpret religion, utilising a systematic, historically based, and cross-cultural perspectives method. He is currently researching Sufi belief systems, organisations, and history in Australia. His research pays special attention to the juncture of religion, culture, society and politics, and how this impacts on living traditions such as Islam in the West and reading Islamic history in modernity.
Dr Milani is an internationally published academic, and is regularly called upon to comment on Islam in media and politics in national broadcast services. He is also Communications Officer for the Australian Association for the Study of Religion, a member association of the International Association for the History of Religions (IAHR) dedicated to the academic study of religion. Dr Milani has a book titled Sufism in the Secret History of Persia (London: Routledge 2013) and also has a forthcoming manuscript with Routledge, Sufi Political Thought (scheduled 2017). For a full list of Dr Milani’s publications please visit the Research Direct site.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Milani.
- PhD University of Sydney
- BA(Hons) University of Sydney
- Religion and Society Research Centre (2013)
- The Australian Association for the Study of Religion (2014)
- The International Association for the History of Religions (IAHR) (2015)
- Fellow of the Institute for the Study of Religion, Politics and Society (2011)
- Honours - First Class, Religious Studies (The University of Sydney) 2004-03-05
- Australian Post Graduate Award 2004-04-02
- Certificate Award - Principles and Practice of Certificate Award, University Teaching and Learning, Institute for Teaching and Learning (University of Sydney) 2006-05-05
- Comparative Religion
- Contemporary Religion and Society
- History of Ideas in World Religion
- History of Political Thought
- Intercultural Communication
- Interreligious Relations
- Iran and the Persianate World
- Islam and the West / Modernity
- Islam in the Media
- Islam in the Modern World
- Religion and Politics
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Arts (SoHCA)
- Summer Session
- First Year Committee
- Australian Association for the Study of Religion
|Phone:||(02) 9685 9428|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Current Teaching Areas
- 101462 Understanding Islam and Muslim Societies
- 102296 Hadith: The Prophetic Tradition
- 102494 Conceptualising Islam
- 102495 Mystical Islam: The Emergence of Sufism in World History
Previous Teaching Areas
- 101462 Understanding Islam and Muslim Societies, 2015
- 101462 Understanding Islam and Muslim Societies, 2016
- 101910 Global History, 2014
- 102184 History of Muslim Civilisations and Ideas, 2015
- 102184 History of Muslim Civilisations and Ideas, 2016
- 102296 Hadith: The Prophetic Tradition, 2016
- Milani, M. (2013), 'Sufism in the Secret History of Persia', : Acumen 9781844656776.
Chapters in Books
- Milani, M. (2017), 'The Sufism of Iran : regional indigeneity and Islamic mysticism', Religious Categories and the Construction of the Indigenous, Brill 9789004324411.
- Milani, M. (2015), 'Sufism and the challenge of modernity in the twenty-first century', Sufism and Social Integration: Connecting Hearts, Crossing Boundaries, ABC International Group 9781567444322.
- Milani, M. (2013), 'The subtle body in sufism', Religion and the Subtle Body in Asia and the West : Between Mind and Body, Routledge 9780415608114.
- Milani, M. (2012), 'The cultural products of global Sufism', Handbook of New Religions and Cultural Production, Brill 9789004221871.
- Milani, M. (2012), 'The cultural repository of Persian Sufism : medieval chivalry and mysticism in Iran', Intercultural Exchange in the Early Medieval Mediterranean, Continuum 9781441139085.
- Milani, M. (2012), 'The cultural repository of Persian Sufism : medieval chivalry and mysticism in Iran', Intercultural Exchange in the Early Medieval Mediterranean, Continuum 9781441131249.
- Milani, M. (2006), 'Mystical experience and its critique of pure reason in the spiritual epistemology of Suhrawardi and Rumi', Through a Glass Darkly : Reflections on the Sacred : Collected Research, Sydney University Press 9781920898540.
- Milani, M. and Possamai, A. (2016), 'Sufism, spirituality and consumerism : the case study of the Nimatullahiya and Naqshbandiya Sufi orders in Australia', Contemporary Islam: Dynamics of Muslim Life, vol 10, no 1 , pp 67 - 85.
- Milani, M. (2016), 'Metaphysics of love in Sufi writings', Eremos: Exploring Spirituality in Australia, vol 2016 , pp 13 - 17.
- Milani, M. (2016), 'William Gervase Clarence-Smith : Islam and the Abolition of Slavery', Journal of Religious History, vol 40, no 2 , pp 284 - 285.
- Milani, M. and Possamai, A. (2013), 'The Nimatullahiya and Naqshbandiya Sufi orders on the Internet : the cyber-construction of tradition and the McDonaldisation of spirituality', Journal for the Academic Study of Religion, vol 26, no 1 , pp 51 - 75.
- Milani, M. (2011), 'Representations of Jesus in Islamic mysticism : defining the 'Sufi Jesus'', Literature and Aesthetics, vol 21, no 2 , pp 45 - 64.
- 2016 ECR Award: 'Sufism: religious pluralism and the alternative narrative in Islam' (Oral history of Sufi groups and organisations in Australia).
- 2011-2013 Pilot Study, Religion and Society Research Centre: 'Belief Systems of Sufi Groups in Australia', Project Supervisor: Prof Adam Possamai
This information has been contributed by Doctor Milani.
Recent News Articles
- 'Sting in the Tail': Islam and the Politicisation of Religion (19 Nov 2015)
- Islam: the ‘Open Civilisation’ confounds closed minds (20 Jul 2015)
- Muslims need to counter the claims of violent jihadists (14 Jul 2015)
- Intolerance and blasphemy in the modern world (12 Jan 2015)
- Charlie Hebdo attack raises concerns about the security and fragility of egalitarian values, says expert (09 Jan 2015)
- Cultural Muslims, like cultural Christians, are a silent majority (08 Oct 2014)