Doctor Mark Hohenberg
Clinical Dean, Macarthur Clinical School,
School of Medicine
Conjoint Senior Lecturer,
School of Medicine
School of Medicine
Dr Hohenberg is an academic geriatrician working at Campbelltown Hospital and Western Sydney University, Campbelltown Campus.
He was trained at the Royal Free & University College London Medical Schools (University of London) and moved to Australia in 2008. Completing training in Sydney, he became a geriatric specialist in 2016.
Mark has a strong interest in medical education including development of professional skills at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, as well as curriculum development. He has completed a Master's degree in medical education through research with a qualitative project on the subject of what interns want to learn and how, during their first year of practice. With this work, he has sat on an advisory panel of experts to HETI in designing a new prevocational curriculum in NSW. Mark continues to be involved with medical education projects in the undergraduate and postgraduate arenas. Mark has also completed clinical quantitative research on ambulatory blood pressure monitor use in hospital inpatients.
Within the Hospital, Mark leads the geriatric education programmes to medical students and junior doctors as well as supervising advanced (vocational) trainees. He also supervises audit and research conducted by junior doctors and other members of the extended geriatric multi-disciplinary team.
At a National level, Mark is an ex-Federal counsellor on the ANZSGM Federal Council and continues to contribute to the ANZSGM General Medical Education and Training committee (GMET).
Mark's vision is to develop a strong academic geriatric multi-disciplinary specialty that is built upon excellence in research and education that translates to effective clinical outcomes for patients, carers and staff within our healthcare and tertiary education systems.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Hohenberg.
- RM Gibson Award for best presentation by a trainee at the ANZSGM ASM 2015-05-28
- Runner up, 2017 Research Impact Awards, Western Sydney University 2017-10-27
- Medical Education
- Qualitative Methodologies
- Research Supervision
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- School of Medicine
- School of Medicine
- School of Medicine
- ANZSGM General Medical Education and Training Committee (GMET)
- ANZSGM Federal Council
- ANZSGM Advanced Training committee
- HETI prevocational curriculum development committee
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 400405 Gerontology, 2016
- Simpkins, D., Hohenberg, M., Naganathan, V. and White, K. (2020), 'Help, I'm a specialist! : perspectives of recently qualified geriatricians on the experiences and challenges of working as a consultant geriatrician', Australasian Journal on Ageing, vol 38, no 1 , pp 73 - 80.
- Steiner, G., Ee, C., Dubois, S., MacMillan, F., George, E., McBride, K., Karamacoska, D., McDonald, K., Harley, A., Abramov, G., Andrews-Marney, E., Cave, A. and Hohenberg, M. (2020), '"We need a one-stop-shop" : co-creating the model of care for a multidisciplinary memory clinic with community members, GPs, aged care workers, service providers, and policy-makers', BMC Geriatrics, vol 20, no 1 .
- Chan, D., Zhang, S., Liu, Y., Upton, C., Kurien, P., Li, R., Hohenberg, M. and Hung, W. (2019), 'Effectiveness and analysis of factors predictive of discharge to home in a 4-year cohort in a residential transitional care unit', Aging Medicine, vol 2, no 3 , pp 162 - 167.
- Steiner, G., Dubois, S., Ee, C., McBride, K., George, E., MacMillan, F., Karamacoska, D., Singh, K., Harley, A., McDonald, K., Derrett, A., Chow, J., Kohler, F. and Hohenberg, M. (2018), 'Co-creating a model of care for a new multidisciplinary memory clinic in South Western Sydney', Australasian Journal on Ageing, vol 37, no Suppl. S2 , pp 77 - 77.
- Johnson, T., Harrison, L., George, E., Shi, K., D'Souza, S., Akwari, J., Hohenberg, M. and Steiner, G. (2018), 'Venous thromboembolism (VTE) risk screening in residential aged care facilities post-surgery', Australasian Journal on Ageing, vol 37, no Supplement S2 , pp 89 - 89.
- Steiner, G., Bensoussan, A., Liu, J., Hohenberg, M. and Chang, D. (2018), 'Study protocol for a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled 12-week pilot phase II trial of Sailuotong (SLT) for cognitive function in older adults with mild cognitive impairment', Trials, vol 19 .
- Steiner, G., Mathersul, D., MacMillan, F., Camfield, D., Klupp, N., Seto, S., Huang, Y., Hohenberg, M. and Chang, D. (2017), 'A systematic review of intervention studies examining nutritional and herbal therapies for mild cognitive impairment and dementia using neuroimaging methods : study characteristics and intervention efficacy', Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol 2017 .
- Hohenberg, M., Simmons, D., Steiner, G., Pile, K., Derrett, A. and Ilyas, M. (2017), 'What we need as we get older : perceptions of elders, carers and community healthcare providers in the Macarthur region of Sydney', Australasian Journal on Ageing, vol 36, no Suppl. S2 , pp 35 - 35.
- Hohenberg, M., Brennan, N., Vu, M., Potts, J., Reyes, P. and Kelly, H. (2014), 'The better investigation of falls and frailty in orthostatic hypotension 2 (BIFFOH-2)', Australasian Journal on Ageing, vol 33, no Supp. 1 , pp 35 - 36.
- Hohenberg, M. (2016), 'What do interns want to learn during emergency medicine rotations in Australia?', Australasian College for Emergency Medicine. Annual Scientific Meeting, Brisbane, Qld..
- Hohenberg, M., Brennan, N. and Hayen, A. (2015), 'Can ambulatory blood pressure machines improve postural blood pressure data collection for geriatric patients admitted to a geriatric ward? : a pilot study', Australian and New Zealand Society for Geriatric Medicine. Annual Scientific Meeting, Perth, W.A..
- Hohenberg, M. (2015), 'What do junior doctors at a busy metropolitan teaching hospital want to learn about geriatric medicine and how during their internship year?', Australian and New Zealand Society for Geriatric Medicine. Annual Scientific Meeting, Perth, W.A..
- Hilvert-Bruce, Z., Hohenberg, M. and Caplan, G. (2015), 'Not-for-resuscitation orders in regional NSW', Australian and New Zealand Society for Geriatric Medicine. Annual Scientific Meeting, Perth, W.A..
- Warren, M., Hohenberg, M., Reyes, P., O'Brien, M., Ni Chroinin, D., Jahromi, S. and Ingham, N. (2014), 'Audit of heart failure management amongst geriatric patients', Australian and New Zealand Society for Geriatric Medicine. Annual Scientific Meeting, Melbourne, Vic..
- 2020, 'Depression, Co-Morbidity and Integrated Care', Report
|Title:||What we need as we get older: perceptions of elders, carers and community healthcare providers in the Macarthur region of Sydney|
|Western Researchers:||Mark Hohenberg and Genevieve Steiner|
|Years:||2017-03-01 - 2017-09-01|
|Title:||Revolutionising dementia care in South Western Sydney: Local requirements for a multidisciplinary memory clinic|
|Western Researchers:||Genevieve Steiner, Mark Hohenberg, Carolyn Ee, Kate Mcbride, Freya Macmillan, Emma George and Amit Arora|
|Years:||2017-05-01 - 2019-03-30|
|Title:||2017 Research impact presentation|
|Description:||WSU competition for Research Impact; awarded runner up|
|Title:||2017 opening of the Macarthur Clinical School|
|Description:||The Channel 9 coverage of the opening of our newest building for the School of Medicine|
|Title:||Channel 9 News - Memory Clinic|
|Description:||News feature on our team developing a plan to tackle the highest increase in dementia rates for NSW by 2050|
|Description:||What do interns want to learn from their ED rotations?|