Doctor Margaret Duff
School of Nursing and Midwifery
Margaret (Margie) Duff is a Senior Lecturerand Director of Academic Programs (Midwifery). She has had over 30 years experience in clinical midwifery, management, midwifery education and research. Prior to commencing at UWS, Margaret spent 14 years working in midwifery education and practice in New Zealand. During that period she assisted in the development of curriculums for midwifery programmes in New Zealand, Australia and China; has audited and reviewed undergraduate programmes; and has been an invited speaker to a number of Chinese midwifery education conferences.
Prior to moving to New Zealand Margaret’s midwifery experience included working in both metropolitan and rural hospitals; commissioning then working as a NUM in delivery suite and birth centre at the John Hunter Hospital; and establishing a private midwifery service in the Hunter Valley (Australia). She has a passionate interest in the normal physiological processes of birth, lactation and breastfeeding and was a member of the International Board of Certified Lactation Consultants for 10 years. She is an active peer reviewer for several international midwifery journals.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Duff.
- PhD University of Technology, Sydney
- BN University of New England
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- School of Nursing and Midwifery
|Phone:||(02) 9685 9068
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
- George, A., Kong, A., Villarosa, A., Duff, M., Sheehan, A., Burns, E., Priddis, H., Chua, C. and Dahlen, H. (2020), 'Implementing and evaluating the effectiveness of an oral health module for the bachelor of midwifery program at an Australian university', Nurse Education Today, vol 90 .
- Burns, E., Duff, M., Leggett, J. and Schmied, V. (2020), '[In Press] Emergency scenarios in maternity : an exploratory study of a midwifery and medical student simulation-based learning collaboration', Women and Birth, .
- Jefferies, D., Duff, M. and Nicholls, D. (2018), 'Understanding the experience of women admitted to a psychiatric hospital in Sydney with psychosis or mania following childbirth after World War II (1945-1955)', International Journal of Mental Health Nursing, vol 27, no 2 , pp 702 - 711.
- Duff, M., Dahlen, H., Burns, E., Priddis, H., Schmied, V. and George, A. (2017), 'Designing an oral health module for the Bachelor of Midwifery program at an Australian university', Nurse Education in Practice, vol 23 , pp 76 - 81.
- Hussein, S., Dahlen, H., Duff, M. and Schmied, V. (2016), 'The barriers and facilitators to evidence-based episiotomy practice in Jordan', Women and Birth, vol 29, no 4 , pp 321 - 329.
- Jefferies, D., Duff, M., Burns, E. and Nicholls, D. (2015), 'Historical perspectives : a snapshot of women admitted to psychiatric facilities with psychosis or mania after childbirth in the late Victorian and inter-war periods', Journal of Advanced Nursing, .
- Dahlen, H., Downe, S., Duff, M. and Gyte, G. (2013), 'Vaginal examination during normal labor : routine examination or routine intervention?', International Journal of Childbirth, vol 3, no 3 , pp 142 - 152.
- George, A., Johnson, M., Duff, M., Ajwani, S., Bhole, S., Blinkhorn, A. and Ellis, S. (2012), 'Midwives and oral health care during pregnancy : perceptions of pregnant women in south-western Sydney, Australia', Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol 21, no 7-8 , pp 1087 - 1096.
- George, A., Johnson, M., Dahlen, H., Duff, M., Ajwani, S., Blinkhorn, A., Ellis, S. and Bhole, S. (2012), 'Development of an online education program for midwives in Australia to improve perinatal oral health', The Journal of Perinatal Education, vol 21, no 2 , pp 112 - 122.
- Schmied, V., Olley, H., Burns, E., Duff, M., Dennis, C. and Dahlen, H. (2012), 'Contradictions and conflict : a meta-ethnographic study of migrant women's experiences of breastfeeding in a new country', BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, vol 12, no 163 , pp 1 - 15.
- George, A., Johnson, M., Duff, M., Blinkhorn, A., Ajwani, S., Bhole, S. and Ellis, S. (2011), 'Maintaining oral health during pregnancy: Perceptions of midwives in Southwest Sydney', Collegian, vol 18, no 2 , pp 71 - 79.
- Schmied, V., Duff, M., Dahlen, H., Mills, A. and Kolt, G. (2011), ''Not waving but drowning': A study of the experiences and concerns of midwives and other health professionals caring for obese childbearing women', Midwifery, vol 27, no 4 , pp 424 - 430.
- Cioffi, J., Schmied, V., Dahlen, H., Mills, A., Thornton, C., Duff, M., Cummings, J. and Kolt, G. (2010), 'Physical activity in pregnancy : women's perceptions, practices, and influencing factors', Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, vol 55, no 5 , pp 455 - 461.
Areas of Research: Assessing the progress of labour; birthing time and space; complimentary medicine; e-learning; ethics; history of midwifery; lactation and breastfeeding; oral health education; use and abuse of the partograph / partogram; physiology of labour and birth; postnatal care of women and their babies; protecting spontaneous labour and vaginal birthing; research methodologies; vaginal examinations.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Duff.
|Thesis Title:||The Barriers and Facilitators of Introducing Evidence-based Practices around the use of Episiotomy in Jordan|
|Field of Research:||Midwifery|