Doctor Liwan Liyanage
Dr Liwan Liyanage has been a Senior Lecturer in Mathematics and Statistics at Western Sydney University since 1989.
She has a strong passion to integrate statistics/operations and research/mathematics with data base,data management & IT skills to develop real time solutions for real life applications with a focus on providing decision support for decision making. She is an experienced full time academic who commenced university level teaching and research in1976. Prior appointments include University of Wollongong, Macquarie University, Australia; University of Colombo, University of Sri-Jayawardenapura, Sri Lanka; University of California Berkeley, USA and King Soud University, Soudi Arabia.
Liwan has achieved B.Sc (first class honours) major in mathematics with a minor in physics, grad/dip in applied statistics, M.Sc in theoretical statistics and a Ph. D. in the area of applied probability. These give her a broad knowledge of content within mathematics disciplines. She was a forerunner in the area of data mining teaching and research which has developed into her current focus in the area of data science, which integrates statistical and database skills. Additionally she is the founding author of operational statistics which uses real time distributions for real time decision making. Her research supervision has lead to five successful PhD and two research masters completions. She has held leadership roles throughout her career including head of statistical unit, acting head of school, campus coordinator, academic supervisor, course coordinator, head of program, coordinator maths bridging program and leader ‘Analytics Health Informatics and Predictive Modelling’ research group. Through these key roles she has driven and developed teaching and research in data mining and science including numerous new cutting edge courses and programs in the areas of medical science, information technology, mathematical science, chemistry and biology.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Liyanage.
- BSc University of Colombo
- MSc University of Wollongong
- PhD University of Wollongong
- Applied Mathematics, statistics, operations research, data mining, data engineering and operational statistics
- Financial Engineering
- Health Informatics
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
|Phone:||(02) 4620 3467|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 200036 Data Mining and Visualisation, 2013
- 300606 Foundations of Statistical Modelling and Decision Making, 2013
- 300700 Statistical Decision Making, 2013
- Deshani, K., Attygalle, D. and Liyanage, L. (2016), 'Incorporating influential factors in diurnal temperature estimation with sparse data', GSTF Journal of Mathematics, Statistics and Operations Research, vol 3, no 2 , pp 63 - 67.
- Chamikara, M., Galappaththi, A., Yapa, R., Nawarathna, R., Kodituwakku, S., Gunatilake, J., Jayathilake, A. and Liyanage, L. (2016), 'Fuzzy based binary feature profiling for modus operandi analysis', Peer J Computer Science, vol 2 .
- Chamikara, M., Galappaththi, A., Yapa, R., Nawarathna, R., Kodituwakku, S., Gunatilake, J. and Liyanage, L. (2015), 'A crime data analysis framework with geographical information support for intelligence led policing', Peer J Computer Science, .
- Deshani, K., Attygalle, M., Liyanage, L. and Karunaratne, A. (2014), 'An exploratory analysis on half-hourly electricity load patterns leading to higher performances in neural network predictions', International Journal of Artificial Intelligence and Applications, vol 5, no 3 , pp 37 - 51.
- Aouf, M. and Liyanage, L. (2012), 'Analysis of high dimensionality yeast gene expression data using data mining', Applied Mechanics and Materials, vol 197 , pp 515 - 522.
- Fonseka, C. and Liyanage, L. (2009), 'Estimating privately held information using trading volume : predicting the future price movements to reduce investor risks', Sri Lankan Journal of Applied Statistics, vol 10 , pp 237 - 250.
- Liyanage, L. (2008), 'Operational statistics for improved decision making policies', Sri Lankan Journal of Applied Statistics, vol 9 , pp 1 - 15.
- Liyanage, L., Patching, C., Bensoussan, A. and Shah, S. (2007), 'Women's health during mid-life survey: the use of complementary and alternative medicine by symptomatic women transitioning through menopause in Sydney', Menopause, vol 14, no 3 , pp 397 - 403.
- Liyanage, L. and Shanthikumar, J. (2005), 'A practical inventory control policy using operational statistics', Operations research letters, vol 33, no 4 , pp 341 - 348.
- Pathberiya, H., Tilakaratne, C. and Liyanage, L. (2017), 'Dynamic environment based clustering and hybrid modeling for financial markets', SLAYS Open Forum, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Pathberiya, H., Tilakaratne, C. and Liyanage, L. (2017), 'Expert system to forecast exchange rate behaviour towards news surprises : an application to EUR/USD exchange rates', International Conference on Computational Modeling and Simulation, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Prodan, A., Liyanage, L. and Ginige, J. (2017), 'Exploring cannulation process in chemotherapy through a computer simulation', International Conference on Computational Modeling and Simulation, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Basnayake, W., Attyalle, D., Liyanage, L. and Nandalal, K. (2017), 'Cluster based modular nonlinear autoregressive neural network to predict daily reservoir inflow', International Conference on Advances in ICT for Emerging Regions, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Liyanage, L. and Pathirage, G. (2016), 'Data integration and big data mining framework to discover impacts of climate change on complex systems', International Conference on Operations Research and Statistics, Singapore.
- Deshani, K., Attygalle, M. and Liyanage, L. (2016), 'Diurnal temperature modelling with sparse data and data integration', International Conference on Operations Research and Statistics, Singapore.
- Pathberiya, H., Liyanage, L., Tilakaratne, C. and Lokupitiya, R. (2016), 'A comparison of clustering algorithms in categorizing economic events based on the behavior of exchange rates', International Conference on Operations Research and Statistics, Singapore.
- Dilini, W., Attygalle, D., Liyanage, L. and Nandalal, K. (2016), 'Ensemble forecast for monthly reservoir inflow : a dynamic neural network approach', International Conference on Operations Research and Statistics, Singapore.
- El Rifai, D., Maeder, A. and Liyanage, L. (2015), 'A content-based-image-retrieval approach for medical image repositories', Australasian Workshop on Health Informatics and Knowledge Management, Parramatta, N.S.W..
- Pathberiya, H., Tilakaratne, C. and Liyanage, L. (2014), 'Modeling the EUR/USD return volatility on the days of simultaneous releases of economic indicators : unemployment rate and non-farm payroll', International Forum for Mathematical Modeling, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Dilini, W., Liyanage, L., Attygalle, M. and Nandalal, K. (2014), 'Effective water management in the Mahaweli reservoir system : analyzing the inflow of the upmost reservoir', International Symposium for Next Generation Infrastructure, Wollongong, N.S.W..
- Deshani, K., Liyanage, L., Attygalle, M. and Karunaratne, A. (2014), 'A study of the dynamic behaviour of daily load curve for short term predictions', International Symposium for Next Generation Infrastructure, Wollongong, N.S.W..
- Deshani, K., Liyanage, L., Attygalle, M. and Karunaratne, A. (2014), 'Improved neural network prediction performances of electricity demand : modifying inputs through clustering', International Conference of Data Base and Data Mining (DBDM-2014), Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- Pathberiya, H., Tilakaratne, C., Liyanage, L. and Lokupitiya, R. (2014), 'Modeling EUR/USD return volatility incorporating long run co-movements in exchange rates and US economic indicators', International Statistics Conference, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Pathberiya, H., Tilakaratne, C., Liyanage, L. and Lokupitiya, R. (2013), 'Model free evaluation of intraday periodicities of exchange rate return volatility', Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science. Session , Sri Lanka.
- Liyanage, L. and Liyanage, S. (2010), 'Data Integration and Data mining Framework to Discover Health Impacts of Climate Change', Annual International Conference on Data Analysis, Data Quality & Metadata Management (DAMD 2010, Singapore.
- Griffith, S., Liyanage, L. and Hansen, S. (2008), 'Virtual Worlds: Membership Structures Of Internet Social Networks', Iadis International Conference Web Based Communities 2008, Amsterdam.
- Aouf, M., Hansen, S. and Liyanage, L. (2008), 'Review of Data Mining Clustering Techniques to Analyze Data with High Dimensionality as Applied in Gene Expression DATA', International Conference on Service Support and Serive Managament 2008 (ICSSM'08), Melbourne.
- Griffith, S. and Liyanage, L. (2008), 'An introduction to the potential of social networking sites in education', Emerging Technologies Conference: Supporting a Learning Community, University of Wollongong.
- Aouf, M., Liyanage, L. and Hansen, S. (2008), 'Critical Review of Data Mining Techniques for Gene Expression Analysis', 2008 Fourth International Conference on Information and Automation for Sustainability (ICIAfS'08), Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Fonseka, C. and Liyanage, L. (2008), 'A Data mining algorithm to analyse stock market data using lagged correlation', 2008 Fourth International Conference on Information and Automation for Sustainability (ICIAfS?08), Sri-Lanka.
- Liyanage, L. (2004), 'Operational Statistics and IT Solutions: Adding to Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Systems'', International Srilankan Statistical Conference: Visions of Futuristic Methodologies, Kandy SriLanka.
- Liyanage, L., Fonseka, C., Broomhall, S., Nicolopoulos, N. and Shanthikikumar, G. (2004), 'Optimising Service Quality of NSW Fire Brigades and Campbelltown Hospital Emergency Service Facility using Operational Statistics'', International Sri Lankan Statistical Conference: Visions of Futuristic Methodologies, Kandy SriLanka.
- Liyanage, L., Shanthikumar, G. and Fonseka, C. (2004), 'Service Quality Improvements in Hospitals by Reducing Response Time: Operational Statistics and IT Solutions', 2004 Information Resources Management Association International Conference, New Orleans, USA.
Data Mining and Big Data Analytics
This information has been contributed by Doctor Liyanage.
|Title:||Combining Disparate Data Sources to Demonstrate Disease/Pest Status [via Dept of Agriculture & Food WA]|
|Western Researchers:||Samsul Huda, Robert Spooner-Hart and Liwan Liyanage|
|Years:||2007-10-09 - 2008-04-30|
|Title:||Biosecurity information sharing and data mining for building a biosecurity intelligence and decision making framework [via Uni Melb]|
|Western Researchers:||Liwan Liyanage and Samsul Huda|
|Years:||2008-07-01 - 2009-06-30|
Doctor Liyanage is available to be a principal supervisor for doctoral projects
|Thesis Title:||Data Integration and Data Mining Framework to Discover Impact of Climate Change on Asthma|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Predicting the Stock Market to Reduce the Investment Risk for the Small Investor|
|Field of Research:||Mathematical Sciences|
|Thesis Title:||A Framework for an Intelligent Decision Support System (IDSS), Including a Data Mining Methodology, for Fetal-Maternal Clinical Practice and Research.|
|Field of Research:||Mathematical Sciences|
|Thesis Title:||Complementary and Alternative Medicine use and the Menopausal Transition: The Effect of a Chinese Herbal Formula on Vasomotor Symptoms and Bone Turnover|
|Field of Research:||Complementary Therapies Not Elsewhere Classified|
|Thesis Title:||Analysis of High Dimensionality Yeast Gene Expression Data using Data Mining|
|Field of Research:||Computer Science|