Doctor Katina Zammit
Deputy Dean - School of Education,
Dean's Unit - School of Education
FSE - Casual ATSI Pathway Program Assessment Marking,
Director's Unit, Future Student Engagement
Early Childhood Education (SoE)
- PhD University of Western Sydney
- MEd University of Sydney
- BEd University of Sydney
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Dean's Unit - School of Education
- Director's Unit, Future Student Engagement
- Early Childhood Education (SoE)
|Phone:||(02) 9772 6291|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
- Sawyer, W., Munns, G., Zammit, K., Attard, C., Vass, E. and Hatton, C. (2018), 'Engaging Schooling: Developing Exemplary Education for Students in Poverty', : Routledge 9781138673519.
- Tan, L. and Zammit, K. (2018), 'Teaching Writing and Representing in the Primary School Years', : Pearson Australia 9781488624803.
- Tan, L. and Zammit, K. (2016), 'Teaching Writing and Representing in the Primary School Years', : Pearson Australia 9781488613708.
Chapters in Books
- Zammit, K. (2019), 'Pedagogy, curriculum and assessment : multimodal practices that engage students with and in learning', Multimodality Across Classrooms: Learning About and Through Different Modalities, Routledge 9781138574403.
- Zammit, K. and Sawyer, W. (2018), 'Teacher development through collaborative research in low SES contexts : a tale of two schools', Resisting Educational Inequality: Reframing Policy and Practice in Schools Serving Vulnerable Communities, Routledge 9781138089303.
- Zammit, K., Vickers, M., Hibbert, E. and Power, C. (2017), 'Equity buddies : building communities of practice to support the transition and retention of students through their first year at university', Implementing Communities of Practice in Higher Education: Dreamers and Schemers, Springer 9789811028656.
- Zammit, K. and Vickers, M. (2017), 'Mentors and mentees working together to develop institutional capital : the Equity Buddies Support Network ', Inclusive Education: Making Sense of Everyday Practice, Sense 9789463008655.
- Zammit, K. (2016), 'Collaborative writing : wikis and the co-construction of meaning', Handbook of Research on the Societal Impact of Digital Media, IGI Global 9781466683105.
- Tan, L. and Zammit, K. (2016), 'Defining language and literacy', Teaching Writing and Representing in the Primary School Years, Pearson Australia 9781488613708.
- Zammit, K. and Tan, L. (2016), 'The teaching and learning cycle in composing multimodal texts', Teaching Writing and Representing in the Primary School Years, Pearson Australia 9781488613708.
- Tan, L. and Zammit, K. (2016), 'Using digital media for composing multimodal texts', Teaching Writing and Representing in the Primary School Years, Pearson Australia 9781488613708.
- Tan, L. and Zammit, K. (2016), 'New media literacies in children's online writing', Teaching Writing and Representing in the Primary School Years, Pearson Australia 9781488613708.
- Zammit, K., Chatterjee, R. and Gibbs, B. (2016), 'Composing persuasive multimodal texts in an integrated unit', Teaching Writing and Representing in the Primary School Years, Pearson Australia 9781488613708.
- Zammit, K. (2015), 'Extending students' semiotic understandings : learning about and creating multimodal texts', International Handbook of Semiotics, Springer 9789401794039.
- Zammit, K. (2014), 'Creating multimodal texts in the classroom : shifting teaching practices, influencing student outcomes', Exploring Multimodal Composition and Digital Writing, IGI Global 9781466643451.
- McCarthy, F., Vickers, M. and Zammit, K. (2014), 'Facilitators as pedagogical leaders : the acquisition of requisite forms of capital in university settings', Contemporary Issues of Equity in Education, Cambridge Scholars 9781443863322.
- Zammit, K. (2014), 'Turning students on to learning : two teachers making a difference', Contemporary Issues of Equity in Education, Cambridge Scholars Publishing 9781443863322.
- Sawyer, W., Callow, J., Munns, G. and Zammit, K. (2013), 'What exemplary teachers do', Exemplary Teachers of Students in Poverty: The Fair Go Team, Routledge 9780415531566.
- Munns, G., Hertzberg, M., Mooney, M. and Zammit, K. (2013), 'Introducing four of the teachers', Exemplary Teachers of Students in Poverty, Routledge 9780415531566.
- Zammit, K. and Callow, J. (2013), 'Literacies in challenging contexts', Exemplary Teachers of Students in Poverty, Routledge 9780415531566.
- Arthur, L., Callow, J., Cole, B., Gilbert, S., Hatton, C., Hertzberg, M., Mooney, M., Munns, G., Nanlohy, P., Orlando, J., Pares, L., Power, A., Sawyer, W., Vozzo, L. and Zammit, K. (2013), 'A new Monday morning and beyond', Exemplary Teachers of Students in Poverty, Routledge 9780415531566.
- Zammit, K. and Curry, C. (2013), 'Literacy and health and physical education working together', Literacy Across the Curriculum, Common Ground 9781612291420.
- Munns, G., Arthur, L., Hertzberg, M., Sawyer, W. and Zammit, K. (2012), 'A fair go for students in poverty : Australia', Changing Schools: Alternative Ways to Make a World of Difference, Routledge 9780415558600.
- Zammit, K. (2011), 'Charting a pathway: embedding ICT and new literacies into the curriculum', Transforming Literacies and Language: Multimodality and Literacy in the New Media Age, Continuum International Publishing Group 9781441123916.
- Zammit, K. (2007), 'Popular Culture in the Classroom: Interpreting and Creating Multimodal Texts', Advances in Language and Education, Continuum 9780826489609.
- Zammit, K. and Wilson, M. (2006), 'Multiliteracies', School is for me: Pathways to student engagement, NSW Department of Education and Training 0731384431.
- Callow, J. and Zammit, K. (2002), 'Visual literacy: From picture books to electronic texts', Teaching Primary Literacy with ICT, Open University Press, McGraw Hill 0335212468.
- Tan, L., Zammit, K., D'warte, J. and Gearside, A. (2020), 'Assessing multimodal literacies in practice : a critical review of its implementations in educational settings', Language and Education, vol 34, no 2 , pp 97 - 114.
- Xu, W. and Zammit, K. (2020), 'Applying thematic analysis to education : a hybrid approach to interpreting data in practitioner research', International Journal of Qualitative Methods, vol 19 , pp 1 - 9.
- Guzzetti, B. and Zammit, K. (2019), 'Men writing their lives : situating the authoring processes of zinesters', Journal of Language and Literacy Education, vol 15, no 2 , pp 1 - 24.
- Zammit, K. (2018), '"We're all real serious filmmakers" : learning about and creating multimodal mini-documentaries', English Teaching: Practice and Critique, vol 17, no 4 , pp 371 - 386.
- Vickers, M., McCarthy, F. and Zammit, K. (2017), 'Peer mentoring and intercultural understanding : support for refugee-background and immigrant students beginning university study', International Journal of Intercultural Relations, vol 60 , pp 198 - 209.
- Zammit, K. (2017), 'National Testing in Schools: An Australian Assessment. Edited by Bob Lingard, Greg Thompson and Sam Sellar', British Journal of Educational Studies, vol 65, no 3 , pp 420 - 423.
- Martinez Lirola, M. and Zammit, K. (2017), 'Disempowerment and inspiration : a multimodal discourse analysis of immigrant women in the Spanish and Australian online press', Critical Approaches to Discourse Analysis Across Disciplines, vol 8, no 2 , pp 58 - 79.
- Zammit, K. (2016), 'Responding to literature : iPads, apps and multimodal text creation', Literacy Learning: The Middle Years, vol 24, no 2 , pp 8 - 16.
- Zammit, K. (2013), 'Using information and communication technologies to engage students in the later years of schooling in learning content and literacy : case studies of three teachers', Education and Information Technologies, vol 18, no 2 , pp 205 - 214.
- Callow, J. and Zammit, K. (2012), ''Where lies your text?' (Twelfth night act I, scene V) : engaging high school students from low socioeconomic backgrounds in reading multimodal texts', English in Australia, vol 47, no 2 , pp 69 - 77.
- Zammit, K. (2011), 'Connecting multiliteracies and engagement of students from low socio-economic backgrounds : using bernstein's pedagogic discourse as a bridge', Language and Education, vol 25, no 3 , pp 203 - 220.
- Zammit, K. (2011), 'Moves in hypertext: The resource of negotiation as a means to describe the way students navigate a pathway through hypertext', Linguistics and Education, vol 22, no 2 , pp 168 - 181.
- Zammit, K. (2010), 'The new learning environments framework; scaffolding the development of multiliterate students', Pedagogies; An International Journal, vol 5, no 4 , pp 325 - 337.
- Munns, G., Zammit, K. and Woodward, H. (2008), 'Reflections from the riot zone: The Fair Go Project and student engagement in a besieged community', Journal of Children & Poverty, vol 14, no 2 , pp 157 - 171.
- Zammit, K. (2007), 'Voices from the margins: Literacy development and the impact of technology', Journal of Literacy Research, vol 39, no 1 , pp 127 - 139.
- Zammit, K. and Martins, R. (2007), 'Learning through community service: Assisting others, learning themselves', The Australasian Journal of University Community Engagement, vol 2, no 1 , pp 228 - 236.
- Zammit, K. and Downes, T. (2002), 'New learning environments and the multiliterate individual: A framework for educators', Australian Journal of Language and Literacy, vol 25, no 2 , pp 24 - 36.
- Zammit, K. (2001), 'A Literate Person: What Does this Mean at the Beginning of the 21st Century', Reading Research and Instruction: Special Iissue on Literacy & Technology, , pp 253 - 264.
- Zammit, K. (2010), '', IFIP TC 3 International Conference, Brisbane, Australia.
- Zammit, K. (2008), 'Digital literacy : the cement that binds a world without walls', ASLA Online Virtual Conference, Online.
- Zammit, K. (2008), 'Student engagement with technology : interrupting the discourses of power for low SES students', IFIP WG 3.5 - Informatics & Elemantary Education Conference : Valuing Individual and Shared Learning: The role of ICT, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Zammit, K. and Downes, T. (2002), 'Tracking technology and Literacy Practices', IFIPTC3 7th IFFIP World COnference on Computers in Education WCCE2001, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- 2015, 'Defying the Odds: Promoting Success for Refugee Background and Non-English Speaking Background (NESB) First-year Students Through Peer Support: Final Report', Report
- 2013, 'Evaluation of Royal Far West School Solve It Program', Report
- 2010, 'Engaging Middle Years Boys in Rural Educational Settings', Report
|Title:||Evaluation of the Royal Far West School's 'SolveIT' Program [via Royal Far West School]|
|Western Researchers:||Katina Zammit|
|Years:||2012-08-06 - 2013-01-31|
|Title:||Proposal to supply consultancy on review and synthesis of research on Quality Teaching and School Leadership to the National Institute for Quality Teaching and School Leadership (NIQTSL) [via ANU]|
|Western Researchers:||Catherine Sinclair, Katina Zammit, Michael Singh and Debra Costley|
|Years:||2005-06-20 - 2006-01-27|
|Title:||Engaging Middle Years Boys in Rural Educational Settings|
|Western Researchers:||Geoff Munns, Wayne Sawyer, Bronwyn Cole, Mary Mooney, Anne Power and Katina Zammit|
|Years:||2007-09-01 - 2008-12-01|
|Title:||Kellyville Public School Immersive Learning Pilot|
|Western Researchers:||Nida Denson and Katina Zammit|
|Years:||2009-11-18 - 2011-11-30|
Doctor Zammit is available to be a principal supervisor for doctoral projects
|Thesis Title:||The Degree of Using Instructional Technology by Arabic Teachers and its Effect of the Intermediate Stage Student's Achievement in Al-Qrayat Governorate in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.|
|Field of Research:|