Doctor Joanne Curry
Adjunct Associate Professor,
Dean's Unit Computer, Data & Mathematical Sciences
Joanne is a specialist in the design of efficient and effective deployment of innovative smart technology to improve the delivery of healthcare services.
Completion of her PhD in Health Informatics led to the invention of the world’s first and only healthcare specific patient journey modelling tool. Currently being patented, these tools help healthcare providers to visualise how services are presently delivered and what improvements and ICT services are required to enhance patient safety, satisfaction and outcomes.
Joanne has applied her innovative ICT approaches both nationally and internationally and was recently invited to present a workshop on the Meaningful Use of Electronic Health Records (EHR) in the United States.
Joanne is passionate about teaching up-and-coming ICT graduates about advanced Health Informatics topics and foundational ICT methods, tools and techniques.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Curry.
- PhDComInfTec University of Western Sydney
- MComp University of Western Sydney,Nepean
- CertMgt Western Sydney Institute of TAFE
- Foundational ICT methods.
- Health Informatics
- The design of efficient and effective deployment of innovative smart technology to improve the delivery of healthcare services
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Dean's Unit Computer, Data & Mathematical Sciences
|Phone:||(02) 9685 9285|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 300566 Introduction to Health Informatics, 2012
- 300578 Professional Development, 2011
- 300579 Professional Experience, 2012
- 300585 Systems Analysis and Design, 2011
- Curry, J. and Stanford, P. (2005), 'Practical Project Development: A project based approach', : Pearson Education Australia 0733973361.
Chapters in Books
- Curry, J., Fitzgerald, A., Prodan, A., Dadich, A. and Sloan, T. (2014), 'Combining patient journey modelling and visual multi-agent computer simulation : a framework to improving knowledge translation in a healthcare environment', Investing in E-Health: People, Knowledge and Technology for a Healthy Future: Selected Papers from the 22nd Australian National Health Informatics Conference (HIC 2014), IOS Press 9781614994268.
- Crepaz, M. and Curry, J. (2013), 'Improving the cancer patient journey', Health Informatics: Digital Health Service Delivery - The Future is Now!: Selected Papers from the 21st Australian National Health Informatics Conference (HIC 2013), IOS Press 9781614992653.
- Curry, J., Fitzgerald, A. and Eljiz, K. (2011), 'Patient journey modelling: Using students as a vehicle for the diffusion of innovation', Health Informatics: The Transformative Power of Innovation: Selected Papers from the 19th Australian National Health Informatics Conference (HIC 2011), IOS Press 09269630.
- Curry, J. (2006), 'Introducing Mobile Technology into an Australian City Council: Experience and Lessons Learned', Mobile Business. Technical, Methodological and Social Perspectives, Idea Group Publishing 1591408172.
- Dadich, A., Fulop, L., Ditton, M., Campbell, S., Curry, J., Eljiz, K., Fitzgerald, A., Hayes, K., Herington, C., Isouard, G., Karimi, L. and Smyth, A. (2015), 'Finding brilliance using positive organizational scholarship in healthcare', Journal of Health, Organization and Management, vol 29, no 6 , pp 750 - 777.
- McGregor, C., Percival, J., Curry, J., Foster, D., Anstey, E. and Churchill, D. (2008), 'A structured approach to requirements gathering creation using PaJMa models', Conference proceedings : ... Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. Conference, vol 2008, no 0 , pp 1506 - 1509.
- Curry, J., McGregor, C. and Tracy, S. (2006), 'A communication tool to improve the patient journey modeling process', Conference proceedings : ... Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. Conference, , pp 4726 - 4730.
- Sayvong, R. and Curry, J. (2015), 'Using patient journey modelling to visualise the impact of policy change on patient flow in community care', MEDINFO, Sa~o Paulo, Brazil.
- Prodan, A. and Curry, J. (2014), 'A case study on parsing chemotherapy related free-text data', Australian National Health Informatics Conference, Melbourne, Vic..
- Bjering, H., Curry, J. and Maeder, A. (2014), 'Gerontechnology : the importance of user participation in ICT development for older adults', Australian National Health Informatics Conference, Melbourne, Vic..
- Fulop, L., Dadich, A., Ditton, M., Campbell, S., Curry, J., Eljiz, K., Fitzgerald, A., Hayes, K., Herington, C., Isouard, G., Karimi, L. and Smyth, A. (2013), 'Working on the edge : positive organisational scholarship in healthcare (POSH) and looking for what's good in healthcare', Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management Conference, Hobart, Tasmania.
- Duridanov, L., Curry, J. and Ivanov, S. (2013), 'Virtual environments as an education tool for digital natives', Institute of Mathematics and Informatics Bulgarian Academy of Sciences. Conference, Plovdiv, Bulgaria.
- Curry, J. and Prodan, A. (2013), 'Using visual tools to improve clinical engagement and group understanding of complex IT concepts', MEDINFO, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Hayes, K., Campbell, S., Curry, J., Dadich, A., Ditton, M., Eljiz, K., Fitzgerald, J., Fulop, L., Herington, C., Isouard, G., Karimi, L. and Smyth, A. (2012), 'Building a research community of practice, and researching brilliance in health care : now for something different', Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management. International conference, Perth, W.A..
- Catley, C., Mcgregor, C., Percival, J., Curry, J. and James, A. (2008), 'Multi-dimensional knowledge translation: Enabling health informatics capacity audits using patient journey models', 30th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBS'08, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- Curry, J., Mcgregor, C. and Tracy, S. (2007), 'A Systems Development Lifecycle Approach to Patient Journey Modeling Projects', Medinfo 2007 - 12th Conference on Health (Medical) Informatics, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
- Curry, J., Mcgregor, C. and Tracy, S. (2006), 'Incorporating Balanced Scorecards into the Patient Journey Modeling Process', Health Informatics Conference (HIC2006), Sydney, Australia.
- Curry, J. and Mcgregor, C. (2005), 'The Current State of Patient Journey Redesign in Australia', Health Informatics Conference 2005, Melbourne Australia.
- Curry, J. and Lan, Y. (2004), 'Web Enabled Business Operations: Development of the Sematic Web Evolution Model', 2004 Information Resources Management Association International Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
- Mcgregor, C., Bryan, G., Curry, J. and Tracy, M. (2002), 'The E-baby Data Warehouse: A Case Study', 35th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Big Island Hawaii.
- Bryan, G., Curry, J., Mcgregor, C., Holdsworth, D. and Sharpley, R. (2002), 'Using XML to facilitate management across multiple local government agencies', 35th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Big Island Hawaii.
- 2011, 'Incorporating Patient Journey Modelling into the Osteoarthritis Chronic Care Program Trial: Report to Hunter New England Local Health District', Report
|Title:||Patient Journey Modelling of Stages 4 & 5 Renal Failure|
|Western Researchers:||Joanne Curry|
|Years:||2008-09-11 - 2008-09-22|
|Title:||1 + 1 = A Healthy Start to Life: Targeting the year before and the year after birth in Aboriginal children in remote areas [via Charles Darwin University]|
|Western Researchers:||Joanne Curry and Carolyn Mcgregor|
|Years:||2007-10-29 - 2010-05-06|
|Title:||Development and testing the tools to deliver Primary Health Care Maternity Services for Indigenous Women [via Charles Darwin Univ] no funding to UWS|
|Western Researchers:||Carolyn Mcgregor and Joanne Curry|
|Years:||2006-05-01 - 2006-05-13|
|Title:||POstnatal Processes & PathwaYs (POPPY): A study investigating postnatal pathways and care for women and their infants in NSW|
|Western Researchers:||Virginia Schmied, Joanne Curry and Elaine Burns|
|Years:||2015-02-10 - 2016-02-09|
|Title:||Perceived Masters: An experimental investigation of discernibility of Mastering in compilations of complex musical stimuli|
|Western Researchers:||Rua Haszard Morris and Joanne Curry|
|Years:||2003-01-30 - 2004-01-29|
|Title:||Incorporating Patient Journey Modelling into the Osteoarthritis Chronic Care Program Trial|
|Western Researchers:||Joanne Curry, Anneke Fitzgerald and Kathy Tannous|
|Years:||2011-04-27 - 2011-08-31|