Doctor Jennifer Hunter
Dr Jennifer Hunter PhD, MScPH, BMed is an adjunct associate professor at NICM Health Research Institute and academic general practitioner with over 20 years of clinical integrative medicine experience. Jennifer's research interests are multidisciplinary with a focus on health services research, translational research and health policy. She employs qualitative and quantitative research methods. Key topics of interest are integrative medicine, traditional and complementary medicine, patient outcomes, wellness and the scientific philosophy and methodologies.
For more information visit https://www.westernsydney.edu.au/nicm/about_us/people/adjuncts/jennifer_hunter
This information has been contributed by Doctor Hunter.
- PhD University of Sydney
- PGDipPH The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
- MSc(PH) University of London
- MB University of Newcastle (NSW)
- Australasian Integrative Medicine Association (2001)
- Australasian Society of Lifestyle Medicine (2017)
- Shiatsu Therapy Association of Australia (2001)
- Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (2001)
- Public Health Association of Australia (2012)
|Phone:||(02) 4620 3783
(02) 4620 3705
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
- Dunning, T., Martin, P., Arentz, S., Bennett, C., Deed, G., Hunter, J., Kennedy, M., Milnes, S., Mitchell, G., Mitchell, L. and Orford, N. (2018), 'Guidelines for Deciding Palliative and End of Life Care with People with Diabetes', : Centre for Quality and Patient Safety Research, Deakin University 9780992333334.
- Hunter, J., Grant, S., Delaney, G., Templeman, K., Ussher, J., Parton, C., Kellett, A. and Smith, C. (2021), 'Barriers and facilitators to integrative oncology services in Australia : a changed mind set required', Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol 27, no Suppl. 1 , pp 89 - 98.
- Yang, G., Sabag, A., Hao, W., Zhang, L., Jia, M., Dai, N., Zhang, H., Ayati, Z., Cheng, Y., Zhang, C., Zhang, X., Bu, F., Wen, M., Zhou, X., Liu, J., Wayne, P., Ee, C., Chang, D., Kiat, H., Hunter, J. and Bensoussan, A. (2021), 'Tai Chi for health and well-being : a bibliometric analysis of published clinical studies between 2010 and 2020', Complementary Therapies in Medicine, vol 60 .
- Ee, C., Templeman, K., Forth, A., Kotsirilos, V., Singleton, G., Deed, G., Dubois, S., Pirotta, M., Harnett, J., Myers, S. and Hunter, J. (2021), 'Integrative medicine in general practice in Australia : a mixed-methods study exploring education pathways and training needs', Global Advances in Health and Medicine, vol 10 , pp 1 - 15.
- Hunter, J., Arentz, S., Goldenberg, J., Yang, G., Beardsley, J., Myers, S., Mertz, D. and Leeder, S. (2021), 'Zinc for the prevention or treatment of acute viral respiratory tract infections in adults : a rapid systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials', BMJ Open, vol 11, no 11 .
- Ee, C., Templeman, K., Grant, S., Ableson, N., de Manincor, M. and Hunter, J. (2020), 'Informing the model of care for an academic integrative healthcare centre : a qualitative study exploring healthcare consumer perspectives', BMC Complementary Medicine and Therapies, vol 20, no 1 .
- Sey, A. and Hunter, J. (2020), 'Finding the value in oncology massage : a mixed-method study of cancer services and survivors in Australia', Advances in Integrative Medicine, vol 7, no 3 , pp 126 - 134.
- Strapps, E., Hunter, J., Douglas, D. and Spence, P. (2020), 'Practicing shiatsu in Australia : a workforce survey', Advances in Integrative Medicine, vol 7, no 2 , pp 55 - 60.
- Hunter, J., Arentz, S., Goldenberg, J., Yang, G., Beardsley, J., Mertz, D. and Leeder, S. (2020), 'Rapid review protocol : zinc for the prevention or treatment of COVID-19 and other coronavirus-related respiratory tract infections', Integrative Medicine Research, vol 9, no 3 .
- Hunter, J., Grant, S., Ee, C. and Templeman, K. (2020), 'What do medical specialists think about a proposed academic, integrative health centre in Australia? : a qualitative study', Complementary Therapies in Medicine, vol 53 .
- Arentz, S., Hunter, J. and Deed, G. (2020), 'Integrating traditional and complementary medicine recommendations into clinical practice guidelines for people with diabetes in need of palliative and end-of-life care : a scoping review', Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol 26, no 7 , pp 571 - 591.
- Arentz, S., Hunter, J., Yang, G., Goldenberg, J., Beardsley, J., Myers, S., Mertz, D. and Leeder, S. (2020), 'Zinc for the prevention and treatment of SARS-CoV-2 and other acute viral respiratory infections : a rapid review', Advances in Integrative Medicine, vol 7, no 4 , pp 252 - 260.
- Hunter, J., Arentz, S., Goldenberg, J., Yang, G., Beardsley, J., Lee, M. and Myers, S. (2020), 'Choose your shortcuts wisely : COVID-19 rapid reviews of traditional, complementary and integrative medicine', Integrative Medicine Research, vol 9, no 3 .
- Hunter, J., Grant, S., Delaney, G., Smith, C., Templeman, K. and Ussher, J. (2020), 'Hospital policies on complementary medicine : a cross-sectional survey of Australian cancer services', Medical Journal of Australia, vol 213, no 10 , pp 474 - 475.
- Ee, C., Templeman, K., Grant, S., Avard, N., de Manincor, M., Reath, J. and Hunter, J. (2020), 'Informing the model of care for an Academic Integrative Health Care Center : a qualitative study of primary care stakeholder views', Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol 26, no 4 , pp 300 - 315.
- Grant, S., Hunter, J., Seely, D., Balneaves, L., Rossi, E. and Bao, T. (2019), 'Integrative oncology : international perspectives', Integrative Cancer Therapies, vol 18, no 1 , pp 1 - 11.
- Hunter, J., Smith, C., Delaney, G., Templeman, K., Grant, S. and Ussher, J. (2019), 'Coverage of cancer services in Australia and providers' views on service gaps : findings from a national cross-sectional survey', BMC Cancer, vol 19, no 1 .
- Hunter, J. and Armour, M. (2019), 'Stop, listen, and learn : using mixed methods to add value to clinical trials', Journal of Evidence-Based Integrative Medicine, vol 24 .
- Nguyen, J., Smith, L., Hunter, J. and Harnett, J. (2019), 'Conventional and complementary medicine health care practitioners' perspectives on interprofessional communication : a qualitative rapid review', Medicina, vol 55, no 10 .
- Packer, J., Turpin, G., Ens, E., Venkataya, B., Mbabaram Community, x., Yirralka Rangers, x. and Hunter, J. (2019), 'Building partnerships for linking biomedical science with traditional knowledge of customary medicines : a case study with two Australian Indigenous communities', Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine, vol 15 .
- Grant, S., Hunter, J., Bensoussan, A. and Delaney, G. (2018), 'Guidance for establishing an integrative oncology service in the Australian healthcare setting : a discussion paper', Supportive Care in Cancer, vol 26, no 2 , pp 471 - 481.
- Leach, M., Canaway, R. and Hunter, J. (2018), 'Evidence based practice in traditional and complementary medicine : an agenda for policy, practice, education and research', Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, vol 31 , pp 38 - 46.
- Park, M., Hunter, J. and Kwon, S. (2018), 'Evaluating integrative medicine acute stroke inpatient care in South Korea', Health Policy, vol 122, no 4 , pp 373 - 379.
- Hunter, J., Ussher, J., Parton, C., Kellett, A., Smith, C., Delaney, G. and Oyston, E. (2018), 'Australian integrative oncology services : a mixed-method study exploring the views of cancer survivors', BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol 18 .
- Canaway, R., Leac, M. and Hunter, J. (2018), 'Setting an agenda for strengthening the evidence-base for traditional and complementary medicines : perspectives from an expert forum in Australia', Advances in Integrative Medicine, vol 5, no 3 , pp 103 - 111.
- Smith, C., Hunter, J., Delaney, G., Ussher, J., Templeman, K., Grant, S. and Oyston, E. (2018), 'Integrative oncology and complementary medicine cancer services in Australia : findings from a national cross-sectional survey', BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol 18 .
- Blignault, I., Hunter, J. and Mumford, J. (2018), 'Integration of indigenous healing practices with western biomedicine in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States of America : a scoping review protocol', JBI Database of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports, vol 16, no 6 , pp 1354 - 1360.
- Hunter, J., Leach, M., Braun, L. and Bensoussan, A. (2017), 'An interpretive review of consensus statements on clinical guideline development and their application in the field of traditional and complementary medicine', BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol 17 .
- Cohen, M. and Hunter, J. (2017), 'Complementary medicine products : interpreting the evidence base', Internal Medicine Journal, vol 47, no 9 , pp 992 - 998.
- Hunter, J., Arentz, S. and Deed, G. (2017), 'Protocol for a rapid evidence review of traditional and complementary medicine for people with diabetes receiving palliative or end-of-life care', Hospice and Palliative Medicine International Journal, vol 1, no 7 .
- Hunter, J., Kotsirilos, V., Ewer, T. and Molodysky, E. (2016), 'Supporting integrative medicine research through an Australasian practice-based research network', Advances in Integrative Medicine, vol 3, no 2 , pp 45 - 49.
- Hunter, J., Wardle, J., Kotsirilos, V., Molodysky, E. and Ewer, T. (2016), 'The case for establishing an Australasian integrative medicine practice-based research network', Australian Family Physician, vol 45, no 12 , pp 925 - 927.
- Hunter, J. (2014), 'Exploring the prospect of a complementary and integrative medicine database for use in the Australian primary care setting', Advances in Integrative Medicine, vol 1, no 1 , pp 25 - 31.
- Hunter, J. and Leeder, S. (2013), 'Patient questionnaires for use in the integrative medicine primary care setting - a systematic literature review', European Journal of Integrative Medicine, vol 5, no 3 , pp 194 - 216.
- Hunter, J., Marshall, J., Corcoran, K., Leeder, S. and Phelps, K. (2013), 'A positive concept of health : interviews with patients and practitioners in an integrative medicine clinic', Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, vol 19, no 4 , pp 197 - 203.
- Hunter, J., Corcoran, K., Leeder, S. and Phelps, K. (2013), 'Integrative medicine outcomes : what should we measure?', Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, vol 19, no 1 , pp 20 - 26.
- Hunter, J. (2013), 'Applying evidence-based-medicine when prescribing herbal products', OA Alternative Medicine, vol 1, no 3 .
- 2017, 'Integrative Oncology in Australia 2016: Mapping Service Provision and Exploring Unmet Needs', Report
Current Research Projects:
A clinical trial on the efficacy and safety of Hominax to improve sperm health in men with mild to moderate Male Factor Infertility. Double-blind randomised control trial. Smith C, Bensoussan A, Hunter J, Fahey P.
Evaluating the Wellbeing of Patients Undergoing Intravenous Nutruceuticals in a Primary Care Clinic. Prospective observational study of patient reported outcomes. Phelps K, Bentley J, Hunter J, Wardle J.
Health Service Research:
Integrative oncology in Australia – exploring unmet needs and mapping service provision. Nationwide survey on oncology services & focus groups with cancer survivors. Smith C, Hunter J, Delany G.
Economic evaluation of Integrative Medicine utilisation and health outcomes of stroke inpatient patients in Republic of Korea. Multilevel, multivariate cost effectiveness & data linkage study. Park M, Hunter J
An interpretive review of guidelines for guideline developers in the field of traditional and complementary medicine. Literature review using interpretive review methodology. Hunter J, Leach M, Braun L, Bensoussan A.
Developing an Integrative Medicine Decision Toolkit for informed evidence-based decision-making. Iterative methodology Hunter J, Leach M, Braun L, Bensoussan A.
A strategy for systematic literature review and scoping review methodology to inform complementary medicine guideline development for Diabetes End-of-Life Care. Hunter J, Arenz S, Deed G.
Traditional Australian Indigenous Medicine:
Case study: Relationship development and outcomes with the Mbabaram and Yirrkala communities. Participatory action research for laboratory analysis of indigenous medical plants. Packer J, Hunter J, Pearson B, Turpin G, Ens E.
A systematic literature review and scoping review of Litsea glutinosa. Pearson B, Morgan E, Packer J, Hunter J.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Hunter.
|Thesis Title:||Development and Evaluation of an Online Comprehensive Lifestyle Change Intervention For Common Risk Factor Reduction in the Management of Type 2 Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Cardiovascular Disease|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||A Randomised Placebo-Controlled Trial to Evaluate the Effectiveness and Safety of Acupuncture for Overactive Bladder in Australian Women Population|
|Field of Research:|