Doctor Jan Ali
Senior Lecturer in Islam & Modernity,
Languages, Linguistics, I&T, TESOL
Dr Jan A. Ali is a Religious Sociologist specialising in Islam. He holds a joint appointment as a Senior Lecturer in Islam and Modernity in the School of Humanities and Communication Arts and as the Community and Research Analyst in the Religion and Society Research Centre at the Western Sydney University. His main sociological focus is the study of existential Islam. In recent years Jan has been invited by a number of non-government organizations and government agencies in various Australian capital cities and overseas to deliver Public Lectures on Islamic Revivalism, Shari'ah, Terrorism, and various other important topics on Islam.
Jan has published numerous peer-reviewed articles in international journals and book chapters. He also published the following books:
- Islam and Muslims in Australia: Settlement, Integration, Shariah, Education and Terrorism, (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 2020);
- Islam in the West: Perceptions and Reactions, (Eds. Ata, Abe & Ali, Jan) (New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2018); and
- Islamic Revivalism Encounters the Modern World: A Study of the Tabligh Jama‘at, (New Delhi: Sterling Publishers, 2012).
Currently, Jan is researching the Global City Formations and Transformations: The Case of the Global City of Sydney - Research data based on in-depth interviews.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Ali.
- PhD University of New South Wales
- MPolPub Macquarie University
- MA University of New South Wales
- BA University of Western Sydney, Macarthur
- Editorial Board Member: Philosophy Study (2018 - 2023)
- Founder and Convenor of Postgraduate Islamic Studies Network - WSU (2018 - 2023)
- Guest Editor: Australian Journal of Islamic Studies (2020 - 2020)
- Editorial Board Member of the International Khadija Conference 2013 Journal (2013 - 2019)
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Languages, Linguistics, I&T, TESOL
|Phone:||(02) 9772 6126
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
- Ali, J. (2020), 'Islam and Muslims in Australia: Settlement, Integration, Sharia, Education and Terrorism', : Melbourne University Press 9780522877304.
- Ata, A. and Ali, J. (2018), 'Islam in the West: Perceptions and Reactions', : Oxford University Press 9780199487110.
- Ali, J. (2012), 'Islamic Revivalism Encounters the Modern World : A Study of the Tabligh Jama'at', : Sterling 9788120768437.
Chapters in Books
- Ali, J. (2021), 'Tabligh Jama'at as an emulatable model of faith renewal', Handbook of Contemporary Islam and Muslim Lives, Springer 9783030326258.
- Ali, J. (2021), 'Muslims as second-class citizens', Muslim Minorities and Social Cohesion: Cultural Fragmentation in the West, Routledge 9780367484668.
- Ali, J. (2019), 'Social construction of jihad and human dignity in the language of ISIS', Contesting the Theological Foundations of Islamism and Violent Extremism, Palgrave Macmillan 9783030027186.
- Ali, J. (2018), 'Muslim schools in Australia : development and transition', Islamic Schooling in the West: Pathways to Renewal, Palgrave Macmillan 9783319736112.
- Ali, J. and Cottle, D. (2018), 'Islam-West relations and the rise of Muslim radicalism and global jihadism', Islam in the West: Perceptions and Reactions, Oxford University Press 9780199487110.
- Ata, A. and Ali, J. (2018), 'Introduction : understanding Islam-West relations and Muslim and non-Muslim mutual perceptions', Islam in the West: Perceptions and Reactions, Oxford University Press 9780199487110.
- Ali, J. (2018), 'Australian Muslims as radicalized 'other' and their experiences of social exclusion', Islam in the West: Perceptions and Reactions, Oxford University Press 9780199487110.
- Ali, J. (2016), 'Multiculturalism, Muslim radicalism, and the problematic of Muslim integration in Australia', Muslim Integration: Pluralism and Multiculturalism in New Zealand and Australia, Lexington Books 9781498543538.
- Ali, J. (2014), 'Understanding the barriers to social inclusion experienced by Muslims in Australia ', Education Integration Challenges: The Case of Australia Muslims, David Lovell 9781863551496.
- Ali, J. (2014), 'A sociological analysis of Muslim terrorism', Sacred Suicide, Ashgate 9781409450863.
- Ali, J. (2014), 'Zakat and poverty in Islam', Islam and Development: Exploring the Invisible Aid Economy, Ashgate 9781409470809.
- Ali, J. (2009), 'Tablighi Jama'at in Australia', History, Modernity and the Muslim World Between Europe and Asia, Melbourne University Press .
- Ali, J. (2002), 'A comparative study of the emergence of contemporary Islamic revivalist movements', New Sociology: Awareness, Analysis, Advocacy, UNSW Press 0909693021.
- Ali, J. (2021), 'Islamic perspectives on organ transplantation : a continuous debate', Religions, vol 12, no 8 .
- Ali, J. (2021), 'Kersten, Carool : Contemporary Thought in the Muslim World', Anthropos, vol 116.2021, no 1 , pp 242 - 244.
- Ali, J. (2020), 'Islamic studies in the modern world', Australian Journal of Islamic Studies, vol 5, no 3 , pp 1 - 3.
- Ali, J. and Amin, F. (2020), 'Jama'at-e-Islami and Tabligh Jama'at : a comparative study of Islamic revivalist movements', Islam and Civilisational Renewal, vol 11, no 1 , pp 75 - 94.
- Ali, J. and Sikandar, A. (2020), 'Jihad in violent Islamist paradigm', Australian Journal of Islamic Studies, vol 5, no 3 , pp 97 - 117.
- Ali, J. (2020), 'Muslim citizenship in the West : editor's introduction', Australian Journal of Islamic Studies, vol 5, no 2 , pp 1 - 3.
- Ali, J. (2020), 'Muslims as archetypal suspect citizens in Australia', Australian Journal of Islamic Studies, vol 5, no 2 , pp 98 - 116.
- Ali, J. (2019), 'A sociological analysis of the understanding, application, and importance of Shari'a in everyday living of young Muslims in Sydney', Sociology of Islam, vol 7, no 2-3 , pp 165 - 188.
- Ali, J. (2018), 'The Tabligh Jama'at and Islamic revivalism in Fiji', Pacific Dynamics: Journal of Interdisciplinary Research, vol 2, no 1 , pp 12 - 20.
- Ali, J. and Orofino, E. (2018), 'Islamic revivalist movements in the modern world : an analysis of Al-Ikhwan al-Muslimun, Tabligh Jama'at, and Hizb ut-Tahrir', Journal for the Academic Study of Religion, vol 31 , no 1 , pp 27 - 54.
- Ali, J. (2017), 'Shari'ah and the role of Muslim clergy in Australia', Journal of International Law and Islamic Law, vol 13, no 1 , pp 1 - 18.
- Dunn, K., Atie, R., Kennedy, M., Ali, J., O'Reilly, J. and Rogerson, L. (2016), 'Can you use community policing for counter terrorism? : evidence from NSW, Australia', Police Practice and Research, vol 17, no 3 , pp 196 - 211.
- Possamai, A., Dunn, K., Hopkins, P., Amin, F., Worthington, L. and Ali, J. (2016), 'Muslim students' religious and cultural experiences in the micro-publics of university campuses in NSW, Australia', Australian Geographer, vol 47, no 3 , pp 311 - 324.
- Ali, J. (2015), 'A participant observer's insight into rituals and practices of the Tabligh Jama'at in Australia', Islamic Perspective and Culture, vol 1, no 1 , pp 27 - 34.
- Ali, J. (2012), 'Contemporary Islamic revivalism : key perspectives', American Journal of Islamic Social Sciences, vol 29, no 1 , pp 60 - 97.
- Ali, J. (2011), 'Piety Among Tablighi Women', Contemporary Islam, vol 5, no 3 , pp 225 - 247.
- Ali, J. (2011), 'A dual legal system in Australia : the formalization of Shari'a', Democracy and Security, vol 7, no 4 , pp 354 - 373.
- Ali, J. (2011), 'Teaching Islamic Studies in an Australian University', Perspectives: Teaching Islamic Studies in Higher Education, vol 2, no 2 , pp 28 - 35.
- Ali, J. (2010), 'Tablighi Jama'at and the 'Remaking' of the Muslim', Australian Religion Studies Review, vol 23, no 2 , pp 148 - 172.
- Ali, J. (2010), 'Tabl?gh Jam??at : a transnational movement of Islamic faith regeneration', European Journal of Economic and Political Studies, vol 3, no Special Issue , pp 103 - 131.
- Ali, J. (2008), 'The Utility of Participant Observation in Applied Sociological Research', NEXUS, vol 20, no 2 , pp 18 - 20.
- Ali, J. (2008), 'Muslim citizens in the West : promoting social inclusion', American Journal of Islamic Social Sciences, vol 25, no 1 , pp 154 - 156.
- Ali, J. (2004), 'Islam and Muslims in Fiji', Journal of Muslim Minority Affairs, vol 24, no 1 , pp 141 - 154.
- Ali, J. (2003), 'Islamic Revivalism: The Case of the Tablighi Jamaat', Journal of Muslim Minority Affairs, vol 23, no 1 , pp 173 - 181.
- Ali, J. (2001), 'Sleep Rough: A Participant Observer's View of Homelessness in Sydney', Australian Quarterly Journal of Contamporary Analysis, vol 73, no 4 , pp 9 - 11.
- Ali, J. (2008), 'Muslims and Social Inclusion: The Australian Experience', The Muslim Experience Conference, National Centre of Excellence for Islamic Studies Australia, Melbourne University.
- Ali, J. (2008), 'The Tablighi Jama'at and Re-making of Muslim Australians', History, Modernity and the Muslim World Between Europe and Asia Symposium, Islam and the West Research Network in the Faculty of Arts, Sydney Uni..
- Ali, J. (2007), 'Tablighi Jama'at in Australia', Muslim Citizens in the West: Promoting Social Inclusion Fulbight Symposium, Centre for Muslim States & Societies, University of Western Aust, Perth.
- Ali, J. (2006), 'The Impact of Multiculturalism on Australian Society', 3rd International Conference of the Indian Association for the Study of Australia (IASA), Monash University, Melbourne.
- Ali, J. (2003), 'The Role of the Tablighi Jamaat in Reviving Islam in Australian Muslims', Celebrations, Causes and Consequences: Proceedings of a Conference Held at School of Sociology and Anthropology (UNSW), University of NSW, Sydney.
- Ali, J. (2003), 'Plural Islam in Australia', Postgraduate Conference - Creating Spaces: Interdisciplinary Writing in the Social Sciences, Australian National University, Canberra.
- Ali, J. (2003), 'Islam in the West', Sociological Association of Aotearoa/New Zreland Conference (SAANZC), Auckland University of Technology, Auckland.
- 2012, 'Evaluating the Community Effects of the NSW Police Counter-Radicalisation Community Engagement Model', Report
Currently, Jan is involved in three research projects:
Researching the Global City Formations and Transformations: The Case of the Global City of Sydney - Research data based on in-depth interviews.
Researching in collaboration with Professor Kevin Dunn, Professor Peter Hopkins, and Professor Adam Possamai, Muslims on Campus: University Life of Muslim Students in Australia.
Researching with Dr Michael Kennedy, the Resilience and the NSW Police Community Engaged Counter-Radicalisation Model.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Ali.
|Title:||Resilience and the NSW Police Community Engaged Counter-Radicalisation Model|
|Western Researchers:||Michael Kennedy, Kevin Dunn and Jan Ali|
|Years:||2013-06-26 - 2016-12-31|
|Title:||Effects of the NSWPS Counter-Radicalisation Community Engagement Model|
|Western Researchers:||Michael Kennedy, Kevin Dunn and Jan Ali|
|Years:||2010-09-13 - 2011-09-12|
Doctor Ali is available to be a principal supervisor for doctoral projects
|Thesis Title:||Religiosity and Luxury Goods Purchases Among Young Muslims in Indonesia: A Case Study of the Relationship between Religion and Consumer Behaviour|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Social Welfare Program of Islamic Political Party: A Case Study of Bangladesh Jama'at-E-Islami|
|Field of Research:||Religious Studies; Counselling; Other Society And Culture|
|Thesis Title:||Folk-Islam and Muslim Women's Gender Perceptions in Urban Bangladesh|
|Field of Research:||Society And Culture, N.e.c.|
|Thesis Title:||The National Sufi Council: Redefining the Islamic Republic of Pakistan through a Discourse on Sufism after 9/11|
|Field of Research:||Religious Studies; History; Other Society And Culture|
|Thesis Title:||A Critical Discourse Analysis of Aljazeera's and the BBC's Online Coverage of the Arab Spring in Arabic and English March 15 to April 16, 2011|
|Field of Research:||Linguistics|