Doctor Fiona McDermid
Director, Campus and Student Engagement, Onshore,
Dean's Unit - School of Nursing and Midwifery
Aut/1h Casual Academic - Unit 400861 - Personal Professional Development,
School of Medicine
School of Nursing and Midwifery
Dr Fiona McDermid is a registered nurse and midwife in the School of Nursing and Midwifery. She is currently a lecturer and the Director, Campus and Student Engagement (Onshore). Fiona is currently an Early Career Researcher having completed her PhD in 2017 which focused on transitioning into academia for new nurse academics. Following on from her doctoral work, Fiona is focusing on workforce issues, including resilience and retention. She is currently working on a model of retention for emergency nurses. Fiona is an experienced unit coordinator in both undergraduate and postgraduate nursing programs. She has also initiated the Clinical Remediation and Management program for students deemed ‘at risk’ on clinical and runs the Maintaining Clinical Currency workshops to ensure students are clinically current at time of registration.
This information has been contributed by Doctor McDermid.
- DPHIL University of Western Sydney
- GradDipMidwifery University of Western Sydney, Macarthur
- BHlthSci University of Western Sydney, Macarthur
- DipAppSci University of Western Sydney, Macarthur
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Dean's Unit - School of Nursing and Midwifery
- School of Medicine
- School of Nursing and Midwifery
|Phone:||(02) 4620 3337|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 400412 Primary Health Care and its Applications, 2019
- 400752 Knowing Nursing, 2012
- 400764 Transition to Graduate Practice, 2012
- 400766 Leadership in Graduate Practice, 2013
- 401001 Primary Health Care in Action, 2019
- 401003 Professional Communication, 2014
- 401009 Health in a Culturally Diverse Community, 2013
- 401016 Professional Practice Experience 5, 2017
- 401020 Professional Practice Experience 6, 2018
- McDermid, F., Mannix, J. and Peters, K. (2019), '[In Press] Factors contributing to high turnover rates of emergency nurses : a review of the literature', Australian Critical Care, .
- McDermid, F., McNally, S. and O'Reilly, R. (2019), 'Maintaining clinical currency : a risk management strategy for undergraduate nursing students', Australian Nursing and Midwifery Journal, vol 26, no 8 , pp 54 - 54.
- McDermid, F., Hunt, L., Hetherington, D., Willis, S. and Peters, K. (2019), 'Clinical success : a new approach to clinical remediation of undergraduate nursing students', Australian Nursing and Midwifery Journal, vol 26, no 8 , pp 51 - 51.
- McDermid, F., Mannix, J., Jackson, D., Daly, J. and Peters, K. (2018), 'Factors influencing progress through the liminal phase : a model to assist transition into nurse academic life', Nurse Education Today, vol 61 , pp 269 - 272.
- McDermid, F., Peters, K., Daly, J. and Jackson, D. (2016), 'Developing resilience : stories from novice nurse academics', Nurse Education Today, vol 38 , pp 29 - 35.
- McDermid, F., Peters, K., Jackson, D. and Daly, J. (2014), 'Conducting qualitative research in the context of pre-existing peer and collegial relationships', Nurse Researcher, vol 21, no 5 , pp 28 - 33.
- McDermid, F., Peters, K., Daly, J. and Jackson, D. (2013), ''I thought I was just going to teach' : stories of new nurse academics on transitioning from sessional teaching to continuing academic positions', Contemporary Nurse, vol 45, no 1 , pp 46 - 55.
- McDermid, F., Peters, K., Jackson, D. and Daly, J. (2012), 'Factors contributing to the shortage of nurse faculty : a review of the literature', Nurse Education Today, vol 32, no 5 , pp 565 - 569.
- Price, A., Ong, J., Isedale, G., Mackellar, C. and McDermid, F. (2011), 'Documenting and treating acute pain in children', Emergency Nurse, vol 19, no 3 , pp 18 - 20.