Doctor Charles Barbour
Senior Lecturer in Philosophy,
Dr. Charles Barbour is a member of Philosophy@UWS and the Philosophy Research Group. His research focuses on social and political theory, with a special emphasis on Karl Marx. His first monograph - The Marx Machine - was published in 2012, and he has co-edited two further volumes - After Sovereignty (2009) and Action and Appearance (2011). His writing has appeared in numerous academic journals and edited volumes. He is currently working on two projects - a monograph on secrecy, and a larger historical study of the question of equality in the work of the young Marx and his contemporaries.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Barbour.
- PhD University of British Columbia
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Arts (SoHCA)
|Phone:||(02) 9685 9440|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
- Barbour, C. (2017), 'Derrida's Secret: Perjury, Testimony, Oath', : Edinburgh University Press 9781474424998.
- Barbour, C. (2012), 'The Marx Machine : Politics, Polemics, Ideology', : Lexington Books 9780739110461.
Chapters in Books
- Barbour, C. (2014), 'The republican and the communist : Arendt reading Marx (reading Arendt)', (Mis)readings of Marx in Continental Philosophy, Palgrave-Macmillan 9781137352828.
- Barbour, C. (2012), 'The sovereign without domain : Georges Bataille and the ethics of nothing', The Politics of Nothing : On Sovereignty, Routledge 9780415509381.
- Barbour, C. (2012), 'Between politics and law : Hannah Arendt and the subject of rights', Hannah Arendt and the Law, Hart 9781849461436.
- Zolkos, M. and Barbour, C. (2011), 'Action and Appearance: An Introduction', Action and Appearance: Ethics and the Politics of Writing in Hannah Arendt, Continuum 9781441101730.
- Barbour, C. (2011), ''Never Seek to Tell Thy Love': Hannah Arendt and the Secret', Action and Appearance: Ethics and the Politics of Writing in Hannah Arendt, Continuum 9781441101730.
- Pavlich, G. and Barbour, C. (2010), 'Introduction', After Sovereignty: On the Question of Political Beginnings, Routledge 9780415490412.
- Barbour, C. (2010), 'Exception and Event: Schmitt, Arendt, and Badiou', After Sovereignty: On the Question of Political Beginnings, Routledge 9780415490412.
- Barbour, C. (2010), 'Without Exception: Democracy and Sovereignty After Carl Schmitt', State, Security, and Subject Formation, Continuum 9780826442840.
- Barbour, C. (2009), 'Echoes of the Ardent Voice', Lyric Ecology: The Work of Jan Zwicky, Cormorant Book .
- Barbour, C. and Hyvonen, A. (2018), 'In the present tense : contemporary engagements with Hannah Arendt', Philosophy Today, vol 62, no 2 , pp 299 - 317.
- Barbour, C. (2018), 'Capital returns', Political Theory, vol 46, no 6 , pp 938 - 946.
- Barbour, C. (2017), 'The hazard of truth : perjury and oath in Derrida's later work', Law, Culture and the Humanities, vol 13, no 2 , pp 211 - 225.
- Barbour, C. (2017), 'Every corner of the globe', Theory and Event, vol 20, no 1 , pp 19 - 23.
- Alberts, P., Bubbio, D., Barbour, C. and Ling, A. (2014), 'Editors' introduction : continental philosophy in Australia', Parrhesia, vol 21 , pp 1 - 2.
- Barbour, C. (2013), 'Doing justice to Foucault : legal theory and the later ethics', International Journal for the Semiotics of Law, vol 26, no 1 , pp 73 - 88.
- Barbour, C. (2012), 'The maker of lies : Simmel, mendacity and the economy of faith', Theory, Culture and Society, vol 29, no 7/8 , pp 218 - 236.
- Barbour, C. (2011), 'The acts of faith: On witnessing in derrida and arendt', Philosophy and Social Criticism, vol 37, no 6 , pp 629 - 645.
- Barbour, C. (2010), 'Militants of Truth, Communities of Equality: Badiou and The Ignorant Schoolmaster', Educational Philosophy and Theory, vol 42, no 2 , pp 251 - 263.
- Barbour, C. (2010), 'Sovereign Times: Acts of Creation', Law, Culture and the Humanities, vol 6, no 2 , pp 1 - 10.
- Barbour, C. (2010), 'Marx's poetic unconscious : secrecy, literature, and the political', Parallax, vol 16, no 4 , pp 16 - 28.
- Barbour, C. (2008), 'Separated Unto the Gospel of God: Political Theology in Badiou and Agamben', Seattle University: Law Review, vol 32, no 2 , pp 1 - 12.
- Barbour, C. (2007), 'Militancy: The Birth of Multitudes, The Politics of Truth', Theory, Culture and Society, vol 24, no 7-8 , pp 373 - 386.
- Barbour, C. (2005), 'Writing the Republic: Politics and Polemics in The German Ideology', Telos, vol 130, no Spring , pp 9 - 38.
- Barbour, C. (2005), 'What Remains: Of Marx and Marxism', Journal of Classical Sociology, vol 5, no 2 , pp 215 - 233.
- Barbour, C. (2008), ''The Blood that has Dried on the Codes': Foucault on Boulainvillers', CSA, University of British Columbia, June 08.
- Barbour, C. (2008), 'The Depths of the Unspoken: Politics and Ethics in Agamben', CSA, University of British Columbia, June 08.
- Barbour, C. (2007), ''Useless Erudition' and 'Feverish Laziness': Foucault's Lectures', Arts in The 21st Century, University of Alberta, Edmonton.
- Barbour, C. (2007), 'Ever After: Sovereignty in Hannah Arendt', Law and Society: Annual Conference, Humbolt University, Berlin.
Doctor Barbour is available to be a principal supervisor for doctoral projects
|Thesis Title:||Sovereignty Versus Democracy: Between 'Democracy to Come' and 'Global Love'|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Arendt's Political Thought: The Relationship Between Truth and Politics|
|Field of Research:||Philosophy And Religious Studies; Other Society And Culture; Political Science And Policy Studies|