Doctor Brahm Marjadi
Senior Lecturer, Community Engaged Learning & Associate Dean, Engagement,
Dean's Unit - School of Medicine
Brahm has a medical degree and general practice training from Indonesia. He was a lecturer in medical microbiology before undertaking his Master of Public Health and PhD in Community Medicine at the University of New South Wales on healthcare-associated infection prevention and control. His experience in health promoting schools, the Indonesian Catholic healthcare association and the AusAID Human Resources for Health Knowledge Hub cemented his research interest in health services in low-resource settings and cross-cultural knowledge translation for disease prevention and control.
Brahm has lectured since 1996 in Indonesia in microbiology, infection control, research methods and evidence-based medicine at medical, nursing and pharmacy faculties, both at the undergraduate and masters levels. In Australia he teaches and supervises undergraduate medicine, MPH and PhD projects in public health and infection control. He joined the Western Sydney University School of Medicine in 2013 as a PBL tutor, and then as Lecturer in Community Research 2013-2014. Brahm is now the Senior Lecturer in Community Engaged Learning, convening the Year 3 Medicine in Context attachment. He is the School of Medicine's Associate Dean for Engagement and oversees the School's community engagement partnerships and initiatives.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Marjadi.
- PhD University of New South Wales
- MPH University of New South Wales
- Public Health Association of Australia (2007)
- Association of Voluntary Health Services of Indonesia (1994)
- WSU Vice-Chancellor Award for Excellence in University Engagement and Sustainability 2015-12-18
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Dean's Unit - School of Medicine
- School of Medicine Executive
- SoM Curriculum Committee
|Phone:||0405 000 194|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 400810 Integrated Clinical Rotations 1, 2014
- 400810 Integrated Clinical Rotations 1, 2015
- 400810 Integrated Clinical Rotations 1, 2016
- 400811 Integrated Clinical Rotations 2, 2013
- 400811 Integrated Clinical Rotations 2, 2014
- 400862 Foundations of Medicine 2, 2013
- Marjadi, B. and Pratidina Susilo, A. (2016), 'Meneliti itu Menyenangkan: Metodologi Penelitian Kuantitatif dan Kualitatif bagi Peneliti Kesehatan Pemula', : Penerbit Lembah Manah 9786021171158.
- Marjadi, B. (2004), 'Menyusun Batu Penjuru: Pendidikan Seksualitas Dasar Dengan Permainan Interaktif Dan Inovatif', : Kanisius 9789792108095.
- Noack-Lundberg, K., Liamputtong, P., Marjadi, B., Ussher, J., Perz, J., Schmied, V., Dune, T. and Brook, E. (2020), 'Sexual violence and safety : the narratives of transwomen in online forums', Culture, Health and Sexuality, vol 22, no 6 , pp 646 - 659.
- Marjadi, B., Mapedzahama, V., Rogers, G., Donnelly, M., Harris, A., Donadel, D., Jakstas, E., Dune, T., Lo, W., Micheal, S., McKnight, T., Hennessy, A., Ganapathy, V. and Pacey, F. (2020), 'Medicine in context : ten years' experience in diversity education for medical students in Greater Western Sydney, Australia', GMS Journal for Medical Education, vol 37, no 2 .
- Osei Asibey, B., Conroy, E. and Marjadi, B. (2020), 'Health problems and healthcare service utilisation amongst homeless adults in Africa : a scoping review', BMC Public Health, vol 20, no 1 .
- Ussher, J., Hawkey, A., Perz, J., Liamputtong, P., Sekar, J., Marjadi, B., Schmied, V., Dune, T. and Brook, E. (2020), '[In Press] Crossing boundaries and fetishization : experiences of sexual violence for trans women of color', Journal of Interpersonal Violence, .
- Liamputtong, P., Noack-Lundberg, K., Dune, T., Marjadi, B., Schmied, V., Ussher, J., Perz, J., Hawkey, A., Sekar, J. and Brook, E. (2020), 'Embodying transgender : an analysis of trans women in online forums', International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol 17, no 18 .
- Schaffarczyk, K., Nathan, S., Marjadi, B., Hsu, J. and Poulos, R. (2020), 'Non-occupational falls from ladders in men 50 years and over : contributing factors and impact', Injury, vol 51, no 8 , pp 1798 - 1804.
- Mousavi-Roknabadi, R., Momennasab, M., Askarian, M., Haghshenas, A. and Marjadi, B. (2019), 'Causes of medical errors and its under-reporting amongst pediatric nurses in Iran : a qualitative study', International Journal for Quality in Health Care, vol 31, no 7 , pp 541 - 546.
- Brata, C., Schneider, C., Marjadi, B. and Clifford, R. (2019), 'The provision of advice by pharmacy staff in eastern Indonesian community pharmacies', Pharmacy Practice, vol 17, no 2 .
- Susilo, A., Marjadi, B., van Dalen, J. and Scherpbier, A. (2019), 'Patients' decision-making in the informed consent process in a hierarchical and communal culture', The Asia Pacific Scholar, vol 4, no 3 , pp 57 - 66.
- Salamonson, Y., Ramjan, L., Villarosa, A. and Marjadi, B. (2018), 'Does clinical placement in a community alcohol and other drugs rehabilitation centre influence students' career intention?', International Journal of Mental Health Nursing, vol 27, no 2 , pp 794 - 803.
- Micheal, S. and Marjadi, B. (2018), 'Blended learning to teach gender in medical school', Clinical Teacher, vol 15, no 3 , pp 208 - 213.
- Talib, Z., Palsdottir, B., Briggs, M., Clithero, A., Miniclier Cobb, N., Marjadi, B., Preston, R. and Willems, S. (2017), 'Defining community-engaged health professional education : a step toward building the evidence', NAM Perspectives, .
- Cho, K., Marjadi, B., Langendyk, V. and Hu, W. (2017), 'Medical student changes in self-regulated learning during the transition to the clinical environment', BMC Medical Education, vol 17, no 1 .
- Cho, K., Marjadi, B., Langendyk, V. and Hu, W. (2017), 'The self-regulated learning of medical students in the clinical environment : a scoping review', BMC Medical Education, vol 17, no 1 .
- Marjadi, B., Nguyen, J., Hoppett, P. and McLaws, M. (2017), 'Needlestick injury among medical students in an Australian university', Journal of Infectious Diseases and Epidemiology, vol 3, no 2 .
- Weston, K., Mullan, J., Hu, W., Thomson, C., Rich, W., Knight-Billington, P., Marjadi, B. and McLennan, P. (2016), 'Academic guidance in medical student research : how well do supervisors and students understand the ethics of human research?', Journal of Academic Ethics, vol 14, no 2 , pp 87 - 102.
- Brata, C., Fisher, C., Marjadi, B., Schneider, C. and Clifford, R. (2016), 'Factors influencing the current practice of self-medication consultations in Eastern Indonesian community pharmacies : a qualitative study', BMC Health Services Research, vol 16 .
- Wang, W., Wong, K., Zhou, J., Zhu, M., Marjadi, B., McHutchison, B., O'Grady, G. and Ho, V. (2016), 'Correlations of the severity of dyspepsia symptoms with electrogastrography, quality of life and psychological distress : a nested cross-sectional study of functional dyspepsia patients', Gastroenterology, vol 150, no 4 , pp 353 - 354.
- Brata, C., Marjadi, B., Schneider, C., Murray, K. and Clifford, R. (2015), 'Information-gathering for self-medication via Eastern Indonesian community pharmacies : a cross-sectional study', BMC Health Services Research, vol 15, no 8 .
- Hedayati, H., Marjadi, B. and Askarian, M. (2014), 'Barriers to standard precautions adherence in a dental school in Iran : a qualitative study', American Journal of Infection Control, vol 42, no 7 , pp 750 - 754.
- Marjadi, B. and McLaws, M. (2010), 'Rural Indonesian health care workers' constructs of infection prevention and control knowledge', American Journal of Infection Control, vol 38, no 5 , pp 399 - 403.
- Marjadi, B. and McLaws, M. (2010), 'Hand hygiene in rural Indonesian healthcare workers : barriers beyond sinks, hand rubs and in-service training', Journal of Hospital Infection, vol 76, no 3 , pp 256 - 260.
- Sciortino, R., Ridarineni, N. and Marjadi, B. (2010), 'Caught between social and market considerations : a case study of Muhammadiyah charitable health services', Reproductive Health Matters, vol 18, no 36 , pp 25 - 34.
- Marjadi, B., Susilo, A. and McLaws, M. (2009), 'Hepatitis B-related policies : inconsistent patient safety in Indonesian hospitals', American Journal of Infection Control, vol 37, no 6 , pp 520 - 521.
- Marjadi, B. (2001), 'Challenges in developing infection control programmes for Indonesia', Australian Infection Control, vol 6, no 1 , pp 22 - 25.
- McKnight, T. and Marjadi, B. (2019), 'Mixed-methods analysis of constructive alignment in students' learning from patients living in the community', The Network Towards Unity for Health Conference, Darwin, N.T..
- Marjadi, B. and McKnight, T. (2019), 'Social accountability in medical curriculum : working with gaps and gaping holes', The Network Towards Unity for Health Conference, Darwin, N.T..
- Marjadi, B., Dave, K. and Mason, G. (2017), 'A community of inquiry approach to learning design in a community-engaged learning program', Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education. Conference, Toowoomba, Qld..
- Micheal, S., Marjadi, B., Donnelly, M. and Hope, P. (2017), 'Guiding student transition to clinical learning through community immersion', Australia and New Zealand Association for Health Professional Educators. Conference, Adelaide, S.A..
- Micheal, S. and Marjadi, B. (2017), 'From traditional teaching to blended learning in a community-engaged placement program', Australian and New Zealand Association for Health Professional Educators. Conference, Adelaide, S.A..
- 2020, 'Crossing the Line: Lived Experience of Sexual Violence among Trans Women of Colour from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) Backgrounds in Australia', Report
- 2016, 'Mobility and HIV Risk in a Border Region: A Study of Factors Affecting Risk on the Border of Papua, Indonesia, and Papua New Guinea', Report
|Title:||Crossing the Line: Lived Experience of Sexual Violence among Trans Women of Colour and those who are Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) in Australia|
|Western Researchers:||Pranee Liamputtong, Janette Perz, Jane Ussher, Virginia Schmied, Tinashe Dune, Brahm Marjadi and Alex Hawkey|
|Years:||2017-09-09 - 2020-03-08|
|Title:||Optimising Clinical Experience: Community Placement, Odyssey House: The (OCCUPY) Project|
|Western Researchers:||Yenna Salamonson and Brahm Marjadi|
|Years:||2014-11-03 - 2015-05-31|
|Thesis Title:||How do Aboriginal People Engage and Connect with Aboriginial Community Controlled Health Organisations?|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||EXAMINING THE ACCESS AND USE OF HEALTH SERVICES BY HOMELESS PEOPLE IN URBAN AREAS IN GHANA|
|Field of Research:|