Doctor Anna Cristina Pertierra
Dean's Unit - School Of Humanities & Comm Arts
Senior Lecturer In Cultural And Social Analysis,
Anna Cristina Pertierra's research uses ethnography to examine everyday social practice, with a particular interest in media, consumption and material culture, and urban modernities. Regionally, her work focuses on Cuba, Mexico and the Philippines. Prior to joining Western Sydney University, Anna was a Lecturer in Anthropology and an ARC Postdoctoral Fellow at the Centre for Critical and Cultural Studies, both at the University of Queensland. Anna has a PhD in Anthropology from University College London and a BA Hons in Social Anthropology from the University of Sydney.
Current research interests include:
- Media, especially television, in Cuba, Mexico and the Philippines.
- Gendered identities and practices, especially women and girls.
- Entertainment and popular culture.
- Consumer culture and the emergence of urban modernities in the Philippines and Latin America.
Anna is the Director, International for Humanities and Communication Arts.
Anna is also a member of the Institute for Culture and Society and the Digital Humanities Research Group.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Pertierra.
- PhD University of London
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Dean's Unit - School Of Humanities & Comm Arts
- Arts (sohca)
|Phone:||(02) 9772 6565|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 101906 Researching Culture, 2015
- 102410 Digital Cultures, 2017
- 102413 Consumer Culture, 2016
- 102413 Consumer Culture, 2017
- Pertierra, A. and Turner, G. (2013), 'Locating Television: Zones of Consumption', : Routledge 9780415509787.
- Pertierra, A. (2011), 'Cuba: The Struggle for Consumption', : Caribbean Studies Press 9781584327530.
Chapters in Books
- Pertierra, A. (2016), 'Global dimensions of domestic practices : kitchen technologies in Cuba', Cooking Technology: Transformations in Culinary Practice in Mexico and Latin America, Bloomsbury 9781474234689.
- Sinclair, J. and Pertierra, A. (2012), 'Understanding consumer culture in Latin America : an introduction ', Consumer Culture in Latin America, Palgrave Macmillan 9780230340732.
- Pertierra, A. (2012), 'Quincea?era : coming of age through digital photography in Cuba ', Consumer Culture in Latin America, Palgrave Macmillan 9780230340732.
- Pertierra, A. (2012), 'The more things change, the more they stay the same : rice and beans in modern Cuba ', Rice and Beans: A Uunique Dish in a Hundred Places, Berg 9781847889041.
- Pertierra, A. (2010), 'Anthropology that warms your heart : on being a bride in the field', Fieldwork Identities in the Caribbean, Caribbean Studies Press 9781584326007.
- Pertierra, A. (2009), 'Creating order through struggle in revolutionary Cuba', Anthropology and the Individual: A Material Culture Perspective, Berg 9781847884954.
- Pertierra, A. (2017), '[In Press] Televisual experiences of poverty and abundance : entertainment television in the Philippines', Australian Journal of Anthropology, .
- Pertierra, A. (2016), 'Re-locating the spaces of television studies', Media and Communication, vol 4, no 3 , pp 123 - 130.
- Pertierra, A. (2015), 'Cuban girls and visual media : bodies and practices of (still-) socialist consumerism', Continuum: Journal of Media & Cultural Studies, vol 29, no 2 , pp 194 - 204.
- Goggin, G., Pertierra, A. and Andrejevic, M. (2015), 'What's become of Australian cultural studies : the legacies of Graeme Turner', Cultural Studies, vol 29, no 4 , pp 491 - 502.
- Pertierra, A. (2015), 'Practicing tranquilidad : domestic technologies and comfortable homes in southeastern Mexico', Journal of Latin American and Caribbean Anthropology, vol 20, no 3 , pp 415 - 432.
- Pertierra, A. (2012), 'If they show Prison Break in the United States on a Wednesday, by Thursday it is here : mobile media networks in twenty-first-century Cuba', Television & New Media, vol 13, no 5 , pp 399 - 414.
- Pertierra, A. (2009), 'Private pleasures : watching videos in post-Soviet Cuba', International Journal of Cultural Studies, vol 12, no 2 , pp 113 - 130.
- Del Real, P. and Pertierra, A. (2008), 'Inventar : recent struggles and inventions in housing in two Cuban cities', Buildings and Landscapes: Journal of the Vernacular Architecture Forum, vol 15 , pp 78 - 92.
- Pertierra, A. (2008), 'En casa : women and households in post-soviet Cuba', Journal of Latin American Studies, vol 40, no 4 , pp 743 - 767.
|Thesis Title:||Identities of Vietnamese Youth under the Impact of Media Fandom|
|Field of Research:|