Associate Professor Loshini Naidoo
Centre For Educational Research (Soe)
Associate Professor Loshini Naidoo lectures in social justice education at Western Sydney University. She has established a flourishing research profile on equity and access in disadvantaged communities both nationally and internationally. She has authored and edited several books; published peer-review reports, journal articles and book chapters of both national and international repute, established international links with renowned scholars and obtained internal and external research grants. She has made a significant contribution to refugee education as socially just practice/praxis through the lens of forced migration. Her leadership of the Refugee Action Support Program and the National Exceptional Teachers for Disadvantaged Schools provides a tangible collaborative platform for her work on cross cultural issues in challenging demographics. She has won multiple Australian teaching awards including an international award from Duke University, North Carolina, for her outstanding work as an educator. She studied forced migration at Oxford University and was one of eight distinguished keynote speakers invited by the prestigious Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences to speak on refugee education. She served on the NSW refugee resettlement roundtable and her work has been used by the Department of Social Services in its cultural orientation program for newly arrived Syrian refugees.
This information has been contributed by Associate Professor Naidoo.
- PhD University of Western Sydney,Nepean
- MEd University of Natal - Durban
- BEd University of Durban-Westville
- HDipEd University of Durban-Westville
- BA University of Durban-Westville
- AARE (2014 - 2014)
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Centre For Educational Research (Soe)
|Phone:||(02) 47360 623|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 101075 Professional Experience III, 2014
- 101641 Diversity, Social Justice and Equity, 2014
- Naidoo, L., Wilkinson, J., Adoniou, M. and Langat, K. (2018), 'Refugee Background Students Transitioning Into Higher Education: Navigating Complex Spaces', : Springer 9789811304194.
- Ferfolja, T., Vickers, M., McCarthy, F., Naidoo, L. and Brace, E. (2011), 'Crossing Borders: African Refugees, Teachers and Schools', : Common Ground 9781875864690.
Chapters in Books
- Naidoo, L. (2019), 'Refugee background students and teacher education', Encyclopedia of Teacher Education, Springer 9789811311796.
- Naidoo, L., Wilkinson, J., Adoniou, M. and Langat, K. (2018), 'School to university transitions for Australian children of refugee background : a complex journey', Transitions to Post-school Life: Responsiveness to Individual, Social and Economic Needs, Springer 9789811064746.
- Naidoo, L. and Brace, E. (2017), 'The refugee action support program in Sydney, Australia : a bridge between cultures', Regional Perspectives on Learning by Doing: Stories from Engaged Universities Around the World, Michigan State University Press 9781611862553.
- Gannon, S., Naidoo, L. and Gray, T. (2016), 'Educational aspirations, ethnicity and mobility in western Sydney high schools', Super Dimensions in Globalisation and Education, Springer 9789811003103.
- Naidoo, L. (2014), 'Bending but not breaking', Contemporary Issues of Equity in Education, Cambridge Scholars 9781443863322.
- Naidoo, L. and Clarke, M. (2012), 'Merryvale High : mentoring high school refugee students', Developing Successful Diversity Mentoring Programmes: an International Casebook, Open University Press 9780335243884.
- Naidoo, L. (2012), 'Crossing borders : academic service learning as a pedagogy for transnational learning', Academic Service-learning Across Disciplines: Models, Outcomes, and Assessment, Common Ground 9781863359849.
- Naidoo, L. (2012), 'Ethnography : an introduction to definition and method', An Ethnography of Global Landscapes and Corridors, InTech 9789535102540.
- Naidoo, L. (2011), 'School-university-community partnerships', Crossing Borders: African Refugees, Teachers and Schools, Common Ground Publishing 9781875864690.
- Naidoo, L. (2010), 'Crossing Borders: Constructing New Spaces for African Refugees in Greater Western Sydney', Anthropology Today: Contemporary Trends in Social and Cultural Anthropology, Kamla-Raj Enterprises 8185264538.
- Naidoo, L. (2010), 'Curriculum and Transnational Student Spaces: Discourses of Identity and Representation Amongst Chinese Transnational Students in Australia', Handbook of Curriculum Development, Nova 9781606922873.
- Naidoo, L. (2010), 'Community Engagement as Pedagogy for Transnational Learning', Education without Borders: Diversity in a Cosmopolitan Society, Nova Publishers 9781617286131.
- Naidoo, L. (2010), 'Introduction', Education Across Borders: Diversity in a Cosmopolitan Society, Nova 9781617286131.
- Naidoo, L. (2009), 'Refugee Centred Education: Critical Theory in Praxis', Handbook on Social Change, Nova 9781607412229.
- Naidoo, L. (2008), 'Critical Theory, Teacher Quality and the Alternative Practicum', Changing University Learning and Teaching: Engaging and mobilising Leadership, Quality and Technology, Post Pressed 9781921214387.
- Naidoo, L. (2007), 'Re-negotiating Identity and Reconciling Cultural Ambiguity in the Indian Imagrant Community in Sydney, Australia', Indian Diaspora - the 21st Century - Migration, Change and Adaption, Kamla-Raj Publishers 8185264449.
- Singh, M. and Naidoo, L. (2006), 'Respondents' Conclusion: From Matters of Fact to Matters of Concern: New Directions for Critical Education Research', Doctrina Perpetua: Brokering Change, Promoting Innovation and Transforming Marginalisation in University Learning and Teaching, Central Queensland University 1876682930.
- Gannon, S. and Naidoo, L. (2020), 'Thinking-feeling-imagining futures through creative arts-based participatory research', The Australian Educational Researcher, vol 47, no 1 , pp 113 - 128.
- Mupenzi, A., Naidoo, L. and Gannon, S. (2019), ''From Kyangwali to Sydney' life history narrative and postcolonial theory in refugee educational studies', Widening Participation and Lifelong Learning, vol 21, no 2 , pp 44 - 66.
- Naidoo, L. and Adoniou, M. (2019), '"I speak 19 languages" : accessing the linguistic and cultural resources of students from refugee backgrounds', The European Journal of Applied Linguistics and TEFL, vol 8, no 1 , pp 111 - 130.
- Naidoo, L. (2019), '[In Press] Traversing the terrain of higher education: experiences of refugee youth on the inside', International Journal of Inclusive Education, .
- Sidhu, R. and Naidoo, P. (2018), 'Educating students from refugee backgrounds : ethical conduct to resist the politics of besiegement', International Studies in Sociology of Education, vol 27, no 2-3 , pp 166 - 183.
- Naidoo, L. and D'warte, J. (2017), 'The Western Sydney rustbelt : recognizing and building on strengths in pre-service teacher education', Australian Journal of Teacher Education, vol 42, no 4 , pp 69 - 83.
- Naidoo, L. (2015), 'Refugee transition : school-university partnerships that support refugee students' participation in tertiary education', Journal of the World Universities Forum, vol 8, no 1 , pp 15 - 22.
- Naidoo, L. (2015), 'Imagination and aspiration : flames of possibility for migrant background high school students and their parents', Australian Journal of Teacher Education, vol 40, no 3 , pp 101 - 115.
- Naidoo, L. (2015), 'Educating refugee-background students in Australian schools and universities', Intercultural Education, vol 26, no 3 , pp 210 - 217.
- Naidoo, L. (2013), 'Refugee Action Support : an interventionist pedagogy for supporting refugee students' learning in Greater Western Sydney secondary schools', International Journal of Inclusive Education, vol 17, no 5 , pp 449 - 461.
- Naidoo, L. (2013), 'Crossing borders : voices from the margins', Journal of Modern Education, vol 3 , pp 243 - 251.
- Naidoo, L. (2012), 'How do pre-service teachers cope with a literacy intervention program in a remote indigenous community? : the community action support program in the Northern Territory, Australia', Australian Journal of Teacher Education, vol 37, no 10 , pp 85 - 101.
- Naidoo, L. (2012), 'United by language, literacy and learning : creating spaces in schools to support refugee literacy', PRISM: a Journal of Regional Engagement, vol 1, no 2 , pp 144 - 152.
- Naidoo, L. (2012), 'Refugee action support : crossing borders in preparing pre-service teachers for literacy teaching in secondary schools in Greater Western Sydney', International Journal of Pedagogies and Learning, vol 7, no 3 , pp 266 - 274.
- Naidoo, L. (2011), 'What Works? A Program of Best Practice for Supporting the Literacy Needs of Refugee High School Students', Literacy Leraning: The Middle Years, vol 19, no 1 , pp 29 - 38.
- Naidoo, L. (2011), 'Beyond Institutional Walls: Literacy Support for Indigenous Students at a Remote High School in the Northern Territory', Literacy Learning: The Middle Years, vol 19, no 3 , pp 9 - 18.
- Naidoo, L. (2011), 'Embracing technology and community engagement as a teaching and learning medium in social justice education', International Journal of Cyber Ethics in Education, vol 4, no 1 , pp 1 - 9.
- Naidoo, L. (2011), 'The Refugee Action Support program : a case study report of best practice', International Journal of the Inclusive Museum, vol 3, no 4 , pp 83 - 90.
- Naidoo, L. (2010), 'Engaging the refugee community of Greater Western Sydney', Issues in Educational research, vol 20, no 1 , pp 47 - 56.
- Naidoo, L. (2010), 'Victims or Agents? : an issue of identity amongst Indian migrant women in Australia', Journal of South Asia Women Studies, vol 12, no 1 .
- Naidoo, L. (2009), 'Developing social inclusion through after-school homework tutoring : a study of African refugee students in Greater Western Sydney', British Journal of Sociology of Education, vol 30, no 3 , pp 261 - 273.
- Naidoo, L. (2009), 'A structuration theory analysis of the Refugee Action Support Program in Greater Western Sydney', Australian Journal of Teacher Education, vol 34, no 4 , pp 40 - 50.
- Naidoo, L. (2009), 'Refugee-Centred Education: making Community Engagement Central rather than Peripheral to Pre-service Teacher Professional Development', International Journal of Learning, vol 16, no 5 , pp 35 - 44.
- Naidoo, L. (2009), 'Innovative dialogues : refugee students, pre-service teachers and "Top of the Class"', Tamara Journal of Critical Organisation Inquiry, vol 8, no 1/2 , pp 235 - 244.
- Naidoo, L. (2008), 'Supporting African Refugees in Greater Western Sydney : a critical ethnography of after-school homework tutoring centres', Educational Research for Policy and Practice, vol 7, no 3 , pp 139 - 150.
- Naidoo, L. (2008), 'Crossing borders : academic service learning as a pedagogy for transnational learning', International Journal of Learning, vol 15, no 3 , pp 139 - 145.
- Naidoo, L. (2007), 'Learning : Issues of Sexuality, Race and Power in the Classroom', Electronic Journal of Inclusive Education, vol 2, no 1 .
- Naidoo, L., Singh, M. and Sanagavarapu, P. (2007), 'Guest Editors' Introduction: Globalisation, Westernisation and Sino-Australia Educational Reform', Transnational Curriculum Inquiry, vol 4, no 1 , pp 1 - 6.
- Naidoo, L. (2007), 'Rupture or Continuity? : The Impact of Globalization on Cultural Identity and Education in Indian Immigrant Families in Australia', Transnational Curriculum Inquiry, vol 4, no 1 , pp 18 - 28.
- Naidoo, L. (2007), 'Social Justice, Professional Experience and Schooling: A Reflection', International Journal of Learning, vol 14, no 4 , pp 19 - 26.
- Naidoo, L. (2007), 'Teaching For Social Justice: Reflections from a core unit in a teacher education program', Transnational Curriculum Inquiry, vol 4, no 2 , pp 23 - 37.
- Naidoo, L. (2004), 'Against the grain? Boy's education, schools and gender', International Journal of Learning Volume 10, 2003, vol 10 .
- Naidoo, L. (2004), 'Illusion or Reality? Policy and Process in South African Education', Electronic Journal of Inclusive Education, vol 1, no 8 .
- Naidoo, L. (2017), 'School to university pathways : enhancing access and participation in higher education for refugee background students', Access4All International Conference, Bergamo, Italy.
- Naidoo, L. (2010), 'Embracing Technology And Community Engagement As A Teaching And Learning Medium In Social Justice Education', Internatioanl Conference on Information Communication Technologies in Education, Corfu, Greece.
- 2016, 'Researching Parent Engagement: A Qualitative Field Study', Report
- 2015, 'Case Study Report: Supporting School-University Pathways for Refugee Students' Access and Participation in Tertiary Education', Report
- 2013, 'Student Trajectory Aspiration Research (STAR): A Study of Aspirations, Enablers and Barriers to Further Education in the Blacktown Learning Community', Report
- 2010, 'Supporting Refugee Students Through the Refugee Action Support (RAS) Program: What Works in Schools', Report
- 2009, 'Refugee Action Support (RAS) Program: Research Evaluation 2009', Report
|Title:||The effect of the social justice education coursework and school professional experience on students' perceptions and understandings of social justice as the key to effective educational change|
|Western Researchers:||Loshini Naidoo|
|Years:||2003-08-01 - 2004-12-31|
|Title:||Literacy development and acculturation for refugee students in the homework centres|
|Western Researchers:||Loshini Naidoo, Margaret Vickers and Tania Ferfolja|
|Years:||2007-08-30 - 2009-06-30|
|Title:||Globalisation, Westernisation and Sino-Australian Educational Reforms: A relational study of changes in particular educational sites, texts and practices|
|Western Researchers:||Michael Singh, Loshini Naidoo and Prathyusha Sanagavarapu|
|Years:||2005-02-01 - 2006-11-30|
|Title:||Parental Engagement - Qualitative Research|
|Western Researchers:||Christine Woodrow, Margaret Somerville and Loshini Naidoo|
|Years:||2015-08-19 - 2016-04-01|
|Title:||Supporting Refugee Students through the RAS initiative: Programs of 'Best practice'|
|Western Researchers:||Tania Ferfolja and Loshini Naidoo|
|Years:||2009-12-11 - 2011-12-31|
|Title:||Beyond Institutional Walls: Literacy Support for Aboriginal Students at Tennant Creek High|
|Western Researchers:||Loshini Naidoo|
|Years:||2010-10-04 - 2011-11-16|
|Title:||Supporting school-university pathways for refugee student access and participation in tertiary education.|
|Western Researchers:||Loshini Naidoo|
|Years:||2012-12-12 - 2015-01-26|