Associate Professor George Morgan
George Morgan has published research on various themes: Aboriginal Studies Islamphobia; minority youth and precarious/creative labour. He has published recent articles in Sociological Review, Postcolonial Studies, Ethnic and Racial Studies, Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, Journal of Youth Studies. His books include, as author Unsettled Places (Wakefield, 2006) and co-editor( with Scott Poynting) Global Islamophobia (Ashgate, 2012) and is completing a new book (with Pariece Nelligan) The Creativity Hoax.
This information has been contributed by Associate Professor Morgan.
- PhD Macquarie University
- BA The Australian National University
- MPhil University of Birmingham (UK)
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Arts (SoHCA)
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
- Morgan, G. and Nelligan, P. (2018), 'The Creativity Hoax: Precarious Work and the Gig Economy', : Anthem Press 9781783087174.
- Morgan, G. (2006), 'Unsettled Places: Aboriginal People and Urbanisation in New South Wales', : Wakefield Press 9781862547360.
- Morgan, G., Poynting, S. and Rocha, C. (2004), 'Culture and Cultivation: Backyards in Fairfield', : Fairfield City Museum and Gallery 0958541094.
Chapters in Books
- Morgan, G. and Woodriff, J. (2019), 'Herding cats : co-work, creativity and precarity in inner Sydney', Creative Hubs in Question: Place, Space and Work in the Creative Economy, Palgrave Macmillan 9783030106522.
- Idriss, S. and Morgan, G. (2018), 'The inertia of masculinity : narratives of creative aspiration among Arab-Australian youth', Masculinity, Labour, and Neoliberalism: Working-Class Men in International Perspective, Palgrave 9783319631714.
- Morgan, G. and Wood, J. (2017), 'The 'academic career' in the era of flexploitation', Mapping Precariousness, Labour Insecurity and Uncertain Livelihoods: Subjectivities and Resistance, Routledge 9781472471567.
- Morgan, G. (2016), 'Cannibalising the collegium : the plight of the humanities and social sciences in the managerial university', Academic Labour, Unemployment and Global Higher Education: Neoliberal Policies of Funding and Management, Palgrave Macmillan 9781137493231.
- Morgan, G. (2015), 'Gangsta warrior bro : hip-hop and urban Aboriginal youth', Youth Cultures and Subcultures: Australian Perspectives, Ashgate 9781472426659.
- Morgan, G. (2013), 'Aboriginal youth, work, and aspiration in Sydney's Redfern-Waterloo region', Indigenous in the City: Contemporary Identities and Cultural Innovation, University of British Columbia Press 9780774824644.
- Morgan, G. and Poynting, S. (2012), 'Introduction : the transnational folk devil', Global Islamophobia : Muslims and Moral Panic in the West, Ashgate 9781409431190.
- Morgan, G. (2012), 'Housing. Part 1, A history of Aboriginal housing', Aboriginal Studies, Nelson 9780170196284.
- Morgan, G. and Nelligan, P. (2012), 'Taking the bait : minority youth in Australia, creative skills and precarious work', Mappa Della Precarieta. Vol. II, Knowledge Workers, Creativita, Saperi e Disposivitivi di Soggettivazione, I Libri di Emil 9788866800453.
- Al-Natour, R. and Morgan, G. (2012), 'Local Islamophobia : the Islamic school controversy in Camden, New South Wales', Global Islamophobia: Muslims and Moral Panic in the West, Ashgate 9781409431190.
- Morgan, G. (2007), 'Not Waving, Drowning: The Cronulla Riots and the Decline of Cosmopolitanism', Framing Globalization: Visual Perspectives, Cambridge Scholars Publishing 1847183735.
- Morgan, G. (2007), 'Curfews, Children, Class and Colonialism', Outrageous! Moral Panics in Australia, ACYS Publishing 9781875326596.
- Poynting, S. and Morgan, G. (2007), 'Introduction', Outrageous! Moral Panics in Australia, ACYS Publishing 9781875326596.
- Morgan, G. (2006), 'Aboriginal Politics, Self Determination and the Rhetoric of Community', Returning (to) Communities. Theory, Culture and Political Practice of the Communal, Rodopi 9789042018983.
- Poynting, S. and Morgan, G. (2015), 'Putting the ethics back into freedom of expression', IRR News, vol 09/04/2015 .
- Morgan, G. and Nelligan, P. (2015), 'Labile labour : gender, flexibility and creative work', The Sociological Review, vol 63, no S1 , pp 66 - 83.
- Wulfhorst, C., Rocha, C. and Morgan, G. (2014), 'Intimate multiculturalism : transnationalism and belonging amongst Capoeiristas in Australia', Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, vol 40 , no 11 , pp 1798 - 1816.
- Morgan, G. and Wood, J. (2014), 'Creative accommodations : the fractured transitions and precarious lives of young musicians', Journal of Cultural Economy, vol 7, no 1 , pp 64 - 78.
- Morgan, G., Wood, J. and Nelligan, P. (2013), 'Beyond the vocational fragments : creative work, precarious labour and the idea of 'flexploitation'', Economic and Labour Relations Review, vol 24, no 3 , pp 397 - 415.
- Morgan, G. (2012), 'Urban renewal and the creative underclass : Aboriginal youth subcultures in Sydney's Redfern-Waterloo', Journal of Urban Affairs, vol 34, no 2 , pp 207 - 222.
- Morgan, G. (2012), 'Urban transitions : Aboriginal men, education and work in Redfern Waterloo', Postcolonial Studies, vol 15, no 2 , pp 267 - 281.
- Morgan, G. and Idriss, S. (2012), 'Corsages on their parents' jackets : employment and aspiration among Arabic-speaking youth in Western Sydney', Journal of Youth Studies, vol 15, no 7 , pp 929 - 943.
- Morgan, G. and Ren, X. (2012), 'The creative underclass : culture, subculture and urban renewal', Journal of Urban Affairs, vol 34, no 2 , pp 127 - 130.
- Morgan, G. and Warren, A. (2011), 'Aboriginal Youth, hip hop and the politics of identification', Ethnic and Racial Studies, , pp 1 - 23.
- Morgan, G., Dagistanli, S. and Martin, G. (2010), 'Global fears, local anxiety : policing, counterterrorism and moral panic over 'bikie gang wars' in New South Wales', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Criminology, vol 43, no 3 , pp 580 - 599.
- Morgan, G. (2008), 'Ostalgia : Vera Drake, community and critical spectatorship', Rising East, vol 8, no A .
- Morgan, G. (2008), 'Aboriginal migration to Sydney since World War II', Sydney Journal, vol 1, no 3 , pp 75 - 82.
- Morgan, G. (2006), 'Memory and Marginalisation - Aboriginality and Education in the Assimilation Era', Australian Journal of Education, vol 50, no 1 , pp 40 - 49.
- Morgan, G. (2006), 'Work in Progress: Narratives of Aspiration from the New Economy', Journal of Education and Work, vol 19, no 2 , pp 141 - 151.
- Morgan, G., Rocha, C. and Poynting, S. (2005), 'Grafting Cultures: Longing and Belonging in Immigrants' Gardens in Fairfield', Journal of Intercultural Studies, vol 26, no 1-2 , pp 93 - 105.
- Morgan, G. (2003), 'Autochthonous Australian Syncretism', Current Sociology, vol 51 , pp 433 - 451.
- Morgan, G. (2003), 'Curfews, Moral Panics and Aboriginal Children', Journal of the Aboriginal Studies Association, vol 12 , pp 52 - 56.
- Morgan, G. (2003), 'Decolonising the Archives. Who owns the documents', Comma. International Journal on Archives., vol 1 , pp 147 - 152.
- Morgan, G. (2003), 'Aboriginal Protest and the Sydney Olympic Games', Olympika, vol 12 , pp 23 - 38.
- Morgan, G. (2002), 'The reconciliation movement in Australia', Journal of Aboriginal Studies, vol 1 , pp 45 - 50.
- Morgan, G. (2002), 'Backyard narratives', Oral History Association of Australia Journal - Viuces of a 20th cebtury Nation, vol 24 , pp 46 - 49.
- Morgan, G. (2008), 'The Just in time self? : work, aspiration and the limits of flexability in the creative economy', Annual Conference of the Australian Sociological Association 2008, Melbourne.
- Morgan, G. (2006), 'A City of Two Tales: Distinction, Dispersal and Dissociation in Western Sydney', Post-Suburban Sydney: The City in Transformation Conference, Parramatta.
|Title:||Cataloguing of Housing Commission Special Tenancy Files|
|Western Researchers:||George Morgan|
|Years:||2000-07-01 - 2001-06-30|
|Title:||Culture and Cultivation - Fairfield Migration Narratives|
|Western Researchers:||George Morgan and Scott Poynting|
|Years:||2003-06-21 - 2004-08-17|
|Title:||Doing the Knowledge: Youth in Transition in Marrickville|
|Western Researchers:||George Morgan|
|Years:||2005-05-23 - 2005-12-23|
|Title:||The Just-in-Time Self: Young Men, Skill and Narratives of Aspiration in the New Economy|
|Western Researchers:||George Morgan and Gregory Noble|
|Years:||2009-01-01 - 2011-12-31|
|Title:||Urban Cultural Economics: Landscapes and Life in Sydney and New York|
|Western Researchers:||George Morgan and Kay Anderson|
|Years:||2006-11-24 - 2007-11-23|
|Title:||Non-Religion amongst Australian Aboriginal Peoples|
|Western Researchers:||Adam Possamai and George Morgan|
|Years:||2012-11-13 - 2014-01-31|
|Title:||Doing the Knowledge|
|Western Researchers:||George Morgan, Bronwyn Davies and Phillip Toner|
|Years:||2006-01-18 - 2008-05-02|
|Title:||Young Aboriginal Men, Informed Learning and the New Economy in Redfern Waterloo|
|Western Researchers:||George Morgan|
|Years:||2008-08-01 - 2011-02-28|
Associate Professor Morgan is available to be a principal supervisor for doctoral projects ?
|Thesis Title:||The 'Race' for Camden. The Camden Islamic School Controversy.|
|Field of Research:|