Associate Professor Awais Piracha
Dap - Tourism, Geography, Peace And Policing,
Dean's Unit School Of Social Sciences & Psychology
Geography And Urban Studies (ssap)
Dr Awais Piracha is a prominent Sydney-based researcher of sustainable urban and regional development and the use of spatial analysis/techniques in land use and transport planning. Dr Piracha was trained as a civil/environmental engineer as well as a town planner. He has served at University of Western Sydney as an urban planning academic since 2003. He currently serves as Director Academic Programs for Geography, Urban Planning, and Heritage and Tourism in the School of Social Sciences and Psychology. He previously worked as a researcher with the United Nations University (UNU) in Tokyo, Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) Bangkok and University of Dortmund Germany. In his professional career spanning over two decades, Dr Piracha has a valued depth of experience in the use of GIS and modelling tools for urban, environmental and transport planning, and is thus highly sought after for collaborative projects in Australia and throughout the world. Some of his recent work is listed below:
Developing methodologies for measuring unmet transport needs in Western Sydney – contract research for Transport for NSW, Australia (2014-15)
Evaluation of 2049 strategic plan and 2030 comprehensive plan for Jiangbei New District, Nanjing, China - collaboration with the Nanjing Urban Planning Bureau (2013-14)
Understanding and addressing local opposition to affordable housing projects – research funded by AHURI (Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute), Australia, (2012-13)
The impact of delivery systems on homelessness in the Nepean/Blacktown Region: spatial analysis of homelessness data from Housing NSW, NSW Police, Centreline, and community housing providers – research conducted for Western Sydney Local Councils (2012-13)
Collaborative Community Transport Study for improvements in Public Transport in Epping Area – field study conducted in collaboration with Transition Epping Australia (2011)
This information has been contributed by Associate Professor Piracha.
- PhD Asian Institute of Technology
- MSc University of Dortmund
- MEngSc University of New South Wales
- BSc University of Engineering & Technology Tahore
- Planning Institute of Australia (Corporate Member and Certified Practising Professional) (2003)
- International Society of City and Regional Planners (Member and National Delegate) (1998)
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Dean's Unit School Of Social Sciences & Psychology
- Geography And Urban Studies (ssap)
|Phone:||(02) 47360 049|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Chapters in Books
- Piracha, A., Onnudottir, H. and Dunn, K. (2016), 'Urban-rural geographies of Aboriginal religious and non-religious identification', Religion and Non-Religion Among Australian Aboriginal Peoples, Routledge 9781472443830.
- Shahid, Z. and Piracha, A. (2016), 'Awareness of climate change impacts and adaptation at local level in Punjab, Pakistan', Balanced Urban Development: Options and Strategies for Liveable Cities, Springer 9783319281100.
- Dunn, K. and Piracha, A. (2015), 'The multifaith city in an era of post-secularism : the complicated geographies of Christians, non-Christians and non-faithful across Sydney, Australia', The Changing World Religion Map: Sacred Places, Identities, Practices and Politics, Springer 9789401793759.
- Piracha, A. and Thadani, D. (2015), 'Nanjing : towards improving the planning framework for Jiangbei New District', Ten Years of UPATS: Reflections and Results, Hochschulverlag 9783728137173.
- Schatz, L. and Piracha, A. (2013), 'Investigating the motivations, rhetoric and controversy surrounding recent planning reforms in New South Wales Australia and Ontario Canada', Frontiers of Planning: Visionary Futures for Human Settlements, International Society of City and Regional Planners 9789490354213.
- Rana, R. and Piracha, A. (2007), 'Cultural Frameworks', Urban Crisis: Culture and the Sustainability of Cities, United Nations University Press 9789280811254.
- Choe, S., Marchtullio, P. and Piracha, A. (2007), 'Approaches to Cultural Indicators', Urban Crisis: Culture and the Sustainability of Cities, United Nations University Press 9789280811254.
- Adeel, Z. and Piracha, A. (2004), 'Critical Links Between Environment and Development in South Asia', South Asia in the World: Problem Solving Perspectives on Security, Sustainable Development, and Good Governance, United Nations University Press 9280810936.
- Piracha, A. and Morishita, H. (2003), 'Regional Rural Development in Punjab Province: and Environment-Based Approach for Guiding Decisions on Industrial Location', Human Settlement Development, Eolss Publishers .
- Huynh, V. and Piracha, A. (2019), 'An evaluation on climate change adaptation for tourism sector in the Mekong Delta of Vietnam', Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research, vol 24, no 9 , pp 894 - 911.
- Rana, M. and Piracha, A. (2018), 'Supplying water to the urban poor : processes and challenges of community-based water governance in Dhaka city', Management of Environmental Quality, vol 29, no 4 , pp 608 - 622.
- Yagitcanlar, T., Mohamed, A., Kamaruzzaman, M. and Piracha, A. (2018), 'Understanding transport-related social exclusion : a multidimensional approach', Urban Policy and Research, vol 37, no 1 , pp 97 - 110.
- Piracha, A., Sharples, R., Forrest, J. and Dunn, K. (2018), 'Racism in the sharing economy : regulatory challenges in a neo-liberal cyber world', Geoforum, vol 98 , pp 144 - 152.
- Bijen, G. and Piracha, A. (2017), 'Future directions for social housing in NSW : new opportunities for 'place' and 'community' in public housing renewal', Australian Planner, vol 54, no 2 , pp 153 - 162.
- Piracha, A. and Chaudhary, T. (2015), 'Better awareness for better natural hazards preparedness in Pakistan', International Journal of Built Environment and Sustainability, vol 2, no 4 , pp 252 - 259.
- Chaudhary, T. and Piracha, A. (2013), 'Effective contribution of structural engineers to green buildings and sustainability', Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, vol 40, no 1 , pp 97 - 100.
- Chaudhary, T. and Piracha, A. (2013), 'Examining the role of structural engineers in green building ratings and sustainable development', Australian Journal of Structural Engineering, vol 14, no 3 , pp 217 - 227.
- Fisher, D. and Piracha, A. (2012), 'Crime prevention through environmental design : a case study of multi-agency collaboration in Sydney, Australia', Australian Planner, vol 49 , pp 79 - 87.
- Bijen, G. and Piracha, A. (2012), 'Evaluating the urban design and community life in public housing in Australia', Australian Planner, vol 49, no 4 , pp 349 - 360.
- Piracha, A. (2011), 'Collaborative city liveability study using Gehl methodology : pedestrian and bicycle counts and stationary activity survey in Penrith', Journal of Town and City Management, vol 2, no 3 , pp 287 - 299.
- Herborn, P. and Piracha, A. (2011), 'Mapping Hyde Park Futures with Effective Public Participation', Global Media Journal, vol 5, no 2 .
- Piracha, A. (2010), 'The NSW (Australia) Planning Reforms and their Implications for Planning Education and Natural and Built Environment', Local Economy, vol 25, no 3 , pp 240 - 250.
- Stevenson, D., Dunn, K., Possamai, A. and Piracha, A. (2010), 'Religious belief across ?post-secular' Sydney : the multiple trends in (de)secularisation', Australian Geographer, vol 41, no 3 , pp 323 - 350.
- Piracha, A. and Hardie, M. (2018), 'Post-political planning and the tale of two cities : community engagement in urban planning and development in Sydney', AUBEA International Conference , Singapore.
- Farid Uddin, K. and Piracha, A. (2018), 'Cities within a city : the NSW (Australia) planning policy divergence', The Australia and New Zealand Association of Planning Schools. Conference, Hamilton, N.Z..
- Greiss, G. and Piracha, A. (2018), 'Re-writing political influence : the NSW (Australia) "rock star" planning reforms', The Australia and New Zealand Association of Planning Schools. Conference, Hamilton, N.Z..
- Piracha, A. (2016), 'What theory explains the tale of two cities? : community engagement in urban planning in New South Wales Australia', International Society of City and Regional Planners. Congress, Durban, South Africa.
- Piracha, A. (2015), 'eDevelopment-assessment as "smart ePlanning" for New South Wales (NSW) Australia', International Conference on Computers in Urban Planning and Urban Management, Cambridge, Mass..
- Piracha, A. (2014), 'Water views, affluence and concern for sustainable transport : the case of Sydney, Australia', International Society of City and Regional Planners. Congress, Gdynia, Poland.
- Legacy, C., Davison, G., Liu, E., Van Den Nouwelant, R. and Piracha, A. (2013), 'Democratic infrastructure? : delivering affordable housing under Australia's Social Housing Initiative', State of Australian Cities Conference, Sydney, N.S.W..
- Davison, G., Legacy, C., Liu, E., Van Den Nouwelant, R. and Piracha, A. (2013), 'How and why does community opposition to affordable housing development escalate? : "unsupported development" in Parramatta, NSW', State of Australian Cities Conference, Sydney, N.S.W..
- Smajovic, K. and Piracha, A. (2013), 'Can the universal concept of community policing be applied in different jurisdictions? A cross-comparative analysis of policing in Sydney, Bosnia and New York', State of Australian Cities Conference, Sydney, N.S.W..
- Chaudhary, T. and Piracha, A. (2012), 'Expanding the role of structural engineers in sustainable development beyond the current rating systems', IABSE Conference, Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt.
- Schatz, L. and Piracha, A. (2012), 'A comparison of the motivations, rhetoric and controversy surrounding recent planning reforms in New South Wales, Australia and Ontario, Canada', Australia and New Zealand Association of Planning Schools. Conference, Bendigo, Vic..
- Cui, T. and Piracha, A. (2012), 'Culture matters : an analysis of ethnic segregation and congregation in Sydney, Australia using centrographic method', Australia and New Zealand Association of Planning Schools. Conference, Bendigo, Vic..
- Majeed, Z. and Piracha, A. (2011), 'Water Conservation of Pakistan's Agricultural, Municipal and Industrial Water', 4th International Conference on Water Resources and Arid Environments, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- Piracha, A. (2011), 'Collaborative City Liveability Study using Gehl Methodology: Pedestrian and Bike Counts and Stationary Activity Survey Penrith', ANZAPS (Australia New Zealand Association of Planning Schools) 2010, Christchurch.
- Piracha, A., Dunn, K., Goodman, R., Maginn, P. and Phibbs, P. (2011), 'Australian Public Attitudes towards Town Planning: Towards a Research Agenda', Proceedings of the World Planning Schools Congress 2011 (Planning's Future - Future's Planning: Planning in an Era of Global (Un)Certainty and Transformation), Perth WA.
- Bijen, G. and Piracha, A. (2011), 'Evaluating the Urban Design and Community Life in Public Housing in Australia', World Planning Schools Congress 2011 (Planning's Future - Future's Planning: Planning in the Era of Global Uncerntainty and Transformation), Perth WA.
- Piracha, A., Williamson, W. and Parolin, B. (2011), 'ePlanning Evolutions in Australia: A New South Wales Perspective', 12th International Conference on Computers in Urban Planning and Urban Management (CUPUM), Alberta Canada.
- Piracha, A. and Majeed, Z. (2010), 'Prioritizing Environmental Infrastructure: A Case-study of Water Pollution from Domestic Sources and Manufacturing Industries in Pakistan', Third International Symposium on Infrastructure Engineering in Developing Countries and First International Conference on Sustainable Transport and Traffic Management, Karachi.
- Piracha, A. and Ma, R. (2010), 'Climate change mitigation and adaptation at local governments in NSW', The third Knowledge Cities World Summit, Melbourne.
- Pelleri, D. and Piracha, A. (2010), 'Urban Design and Walkability in North-West Sydney', The First International Conference on Sustainable Urbanization, Hong Kong.
- Piracha, A. and Majeed, Z. (2010), 'Water Use in Pakistan's Agricultural Sector: Water Conservation under the Changed Climatic Conditions', 4th International Conference on Water Resources and Arid Environments, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- Piracha, A. (2009), 'Sustainable transport : bridging the gap between policy rhetoric and action', State of Australian Cities: City Growth, Sustainability, Vitality and Vulnerability, Perth WA.
- Dunn, K., Maginn, P., Mcguirk, P., Buxton, M., Piracha, A., Phibbs, P. and Pelleri, D. (2009), 'What do publics want from the planning system', State of Australian Cities: City Growth, Sustainability, Vitality and Vulnerability, Perth WA.
- Khan, S. and Piracha, A. (2009), 'What drives technological innovation in planning systems: Simplified development control or enhanced community engagement', The State of Australian Cities: City Growth, Sustainability, Vitality and Vulnerability, Perth WA.
- Piracha, A. (2009), 'Community wishes vs. developers' wants: ePlanning as an instrument of the neo-liberal planning reforms in NSW Australia', Computers in Urban Planning and Urban Management, Hong Kong.
- Zahid, M., Piracha, A. and Munir, K. (2008), 'Role of Dams in Economic Growth of Pakistan', 3rd International Conference on Water Resources and Arid Environment 2008, Riyadh Saudi Arabia.
- Piracha, A. and Majeed, Z. (2008), 'The imperative of water resources development and management in Pakistan : an analysis for better insight and policy', Transactions: 20th Congress on Irrigation and Drainage Participatory Integrated Water Resources Management From Concepts of Actions, Lahore.
- Piracha, A. (2008), 'The NSW planning reforms and their implications for planning education and natural and built environment', ANZAPS Conference 2008: Planning Education in Globalized World, Sydney.
- Piracha, A. (2008), 'Geoinformatics for guiding industrial location in Punjab Pakistan', 2nd International Conference on Advances in Space Technologies, Islamabad Pakistan.
- Piracha, A. (2008), 'Bridging the gap between policy rhetoric and action : role of the state, public sector organizations and individuals in sustainable transport in Australia', 44th ISoCaRP Congress - A Way Towards Sustainable Urbanization, Dalian - China.
- Majeed, Z., Ul-Hasan, Z. and Piracha, A. (2008), 'Developing hydropower schemes on existing irrigation networks : a case study from Upper Chenab canal system', International Congress on River Basin Management, Turkey.
- Ul-Hasan, Z., Majeed, Z. and Piracha, A. (2008), 'Water Resources Development in Pakistan: Issues and Challenges', ASIA 2008 - Water Resources and Renewable Energy Development in Asia, Danang Vietnam.
- Islam, Q., Piracha, A. and Shazad, M. (2006), 'Sustainable Pakistan through Matching Grant Programme: 21 Century Vision', 70th Annual Conference of the Pakistan Engineering Congress, Lahore.
- Piracha, A., Morishita, H. and Khan, S. (2006), 'Environmental Health Considerations in Decisions on Industrial Location : An Application using GIS in Punjab Province, Pakistan', International Symp. on Health GIS, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Piracha, A. and Khan, S. (2004), 'Revisiting Urban Ecosystems Analysis as a Utility for Policymakers for improving Urban Environment', Ecopolitics XV International Conference, Macquarie University, Sydney.
- Piracha, A. and Barrett, B. (2003), 'Urban Ecosystems Analysis Using An Innovative Blend of ICTs', 8th International Conference on CUPUM '03, Sendai, Japan.
- 2017, 'Dunbar Way Renewal Evaluation: A Study to Contribute an Evaluation of the Dunbar Way Estate Regeneration Program (DWRP)', Research Report
- 2017, 'Resident Involvement in Urban Development in Sydney: The New Politics of the City', Research Report
- 2014, 'Unintended Consequences: The Impact of Delivery Systems on Homelessness in the Nepean/Blacktown Region: Final Report', Research Report
- 2014, 'Estimating Transport Disadvantage and Unmet Transport Need: Methodological Options: Final Report', Research Report
- 2013, 'Australian Housing and Urban Research Insitute Final Report Series', Research Report
- 2013, 'Jiangbei New District, Nanjing: ISOCARP Urban Planning Advisory Team Report', Research Report
- Spatial Analysis and Modelling in Urban Planning
- Sustainable Transport Planning
- Planning Policy and Planning Reforms
This information has been contributed by Associate Professor Piracha.
|Title:||Understanding and addressing local opposition to affordable housing projects [via UNSW]|
|Western Researchers:||Michael Darcy and Awais Piracha|
|Years:||2012-03-30 - 2013-06-30|
|Title:||Unmet Transport Need in Western Sydney Stage 1 [via Western Sydney Community Forum]|
|Western Researchers:||Awais Piracha, Chyi Lin Lee, Michael Darcy and Hazel Blunden|
|Years:||2014-07-01 - 2014-11-20|
|Title:||Agonistic community engagement in planning: Understanding community knowledge, community demand and structural constraints|
|Western Researchers:||Dallas Rogers, Laura Schatz, Awais Piracha and Cameron Mcauliffe|
|Years:||2015-05-21 - 2016-06-30|
|Title:||An Evaluation of the Effects and Challenges of Climate Change to Sustainable Tourism Development Mekong Delta Region of Vietnam|
|Western Researchers:||Awais Piracha and Hayley Saul|
|Years:||2014-12-21 - 2017-12-20|
|Title:||AHURI Postgraduate Top-up Scholarship - Gordon Bijen|
|Western Researchers:||Awais Piracha and Michael Darcy|
|Years:||2012-06-18 - 2015-06-17|
|Title:||From Suburban to Urban: planning for the delivery of quality open space|
|Western Researchers:||Awais Piracha, Cameron Mcauliffe and Alpana Roy|
|Years:||2017-07-19 - 2019-04-11|
|Title:||The financing of residential development in Australia [via Curtin Uni]|
|Western Researchers:||Awais Piracha|
|Years:||2012-04-01 - 2013-10-31|
Associate Professor Piracha is available to be a principal supervisor for doctoral projects
|Thesis Title:||Develop a rational choice model to identify and equitably distribute the spatial costs and benefits associated with development densification|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Urban Metabolism and geographical politics of water consumption: Access, Control and Inequality in Bangladesh|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Climate Change Awareness and Adaptation by Local Planning in Punjab, Pakistan|
|Field of Research:||Urban Design And Regional Planning|
|Thesis Title:||Designing "Community": The Significance of Place and Urban Design in Public Housing Renewal|
|Field of Research:||Urban Design And Regional Planning; Human Geography; Other Society And Culture|
|Thesis Title:||Water Supply to the Urban Poor: Governance Approaches and Challenges of Situated Informalities|
|Field of Research:||Urban Design And Regional Planning; Human Geography; Other Society And Culture|
|Thesis Title:||The Changing Structure of Coastal Communities in the Northern Gulf of Mexico|
|Field of Research:||Marine Science; Other Natural And Physical Sciences|
|Title:||Sydney population grows by over 100,000 in a year for the first time|
|Description:||Western Sydney University associate professor of urban planning Awais Piracha said Parramata was the entry point for many migrants to Sydney because of its access to public transport and the existing ethnic communities from south Asia who provide a support network.|
|Title:||The parts of Sydney with the most development - and those with the least|
|Description:||???Among the NSW planning apparatus, the community engagement philosophy for Sydney seems to be ???NIMBY land??? is too hard,??? says Professor Piracha. If you ???dump??? development elsewhere ???they will not even notice it.???|