Associate Professor Anne Rutherford
Adjunct Associate Professor,
Dean's Unit, School of Humanities & Comm Arts
Anne Rutherford teaches Cinema Studies in the School of Humanities and Communication Arts at Western Sydney University and is a member of the Writing and Society Research Centre at Western Sydney University. She has published essays and interviews on cinematic affect and embodiment, cinematic materiality, mise en scène, film sound, indigenous cinema and documentary, and is the author of ‘What Makes a Film Tick?’: Cinematic Affect, Materiality and Mimetic Innervation. Her recent research explores montage and performativity in the installation work of William Kentridge and the film work of Australian director, Ivan Sen. She has also made several short films.
This information has been contributed by Associate Professor Rutherford.
- PhD University of Western Sydney
- MA (Thesis) University of Technology, Sydney
- BA Communications University of Technology, Sydney
- Australian Film Critics Association (2014 - 2017)
- Screen Studies Association of Australia and New Zealand (2018 - 2018)
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Dean's Unit, School of Humanities & Comm Arts
- Arts (SoHCA)
|Phone:||(02) 9772 6025|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 100964 Introduction to Film Studies, 2016
- 101984 Cinema and Experience, 2016
- 101987 Postcolonial Australian Cinema, 2017
- Rutherford, A. (2011), 'What Makes a Film Tick?: Cinematic Affect, Materiality and Mimetic Innervation', : Peter Lang 9783034306546.
Chapters in Books
- Rutherford, A. (2019), 'Ivan Sen's cinematic imaginary : restraint, complexity, and a politics of place', A Companion to Australian Cinema, John Wiley & Sons 9781118942529.
- Rutherford, A. (2013), 'Film, trauma and the enunciative present', Traumatic Affect, Cambridge Scholars 9781443848671.
- Rutherford, A. (2013), 'Mimetic innervation', The Routledge Encyclopedia of Film Theory, Routledge 9780415781800.
- Rutherford, A. (2012), 'Teaching film and mise-en-scene', Teaching Film, Modern Language Association of America 9781603291149.
- Rutherford, A. (2007), 'Nowhere to Hide : The Tumultuous Materialism of Lee Myung-se', Seoul Searching : Culture and Identity in Contemporary Korean Cinema, State University of New York Press 9780791472255.
- Rutherford, A. (2002), 'Precarious Boundaries: Affect, Mise en Scene and the Senses', Sounds And Gestures Of Recollection: Art And The Performance Of Memory, Routledge (Taylor & Francis Ltd ) 0415277965.
- Jayamanne, L. and Rutherford, A. (1992), '"Why a fish pond?" : fiction at the heart of documentation', Framer Framed: Film Scripts and Interviews, Routledge 9780415905626.
- Rutherford, A. (2019), 'A dense web of relationships : how film culture sustains the screen industries', Metro Magazine, vol 201 , pp 118 - 125.
- Rutherford, A. (2018), 'In conversation with Ivan Sen', Axon: Creative Explorations, vol 8, no 2 .
- Rutherford, A. (2017), 'What is body, what is space? Performance and the cinematic body in a non-anthropocentric cinema', Arts, vol 6, no 4 .
- Rutherford, A. (2016), 'Keeping the concept of cinematic affect "in play"', The Cine-Files, vol 10, no Spring .
- Rutherford, A. (2016), 'Affect and material contagion in Harakiri', The Cine-Files, vol 10 .
- Rutherford, A. (2016), 'Dossier on cinematic affect', The Cine-Files, vol 10 .
- Rutherford, A. (2015), 'Walking the edge : performance, the cinematic body and the cultural mediator in Ivan Sen's Mystery Road', Studies in Australasian Cinema, vol 9, no 3 , pp 312 - 326.
- Rutherford, A. (2015), 'Moving image installation, the embodied spectator of cinema and Amar Kanwar : learning from intermediality', New Cinemas: Journal of Contemporary Film, vol 12, no 3 , pp 225 - 238.
- Rutherford, A. and Jayamanne, L. (2015), 'Sufi poets, story-telling as performance and non-violence in Indian documentary film', Senses of Cinema, vol 76 .
- Rutherford, A. (2014), 'Space, body and montage in the hybrid installation work of William Kentridge', Animation: an Interdisciplinary Journal, vol 9, no 1 , pp 81 - 101.
- Rutherford, A. (2013), 'Spending Time with William Kentridge', Eyeline, vol 78/79 , pp 20 - 23.
- Rutherford, A. (2013), 'Ten canoes as 'intercultural membrane'', Studies in Australasian Cinema, vol 7, no 2-3 , pp 137 - 151.
- Rutherford, A. (2012), 'Ten Canoes and the ethnographic photographs of Donald Thomson : 'Animate thought' and 'the light of the world'', Cultural Studies Review, vol 18, no 1 , pp 107 - 137.
- Rutherford, A. (2010), 'Volatile Space, Takemitsu and the Material Contagions of Harakiri', Screening the Past, vol 27 .
- Rutherford, A. (2006), 'Nugroho: didong, cinema and the embodiment of politics in cultural form', Screening the Past, vol 20 .
- Rutherford, A. (2006), 'Buddhas Made of Ice and Butter: Mimetic Visuality, Transience and the Documentary Image', Third Text, vol 20, no 1 , pp 27 - 40.
- Rutherford, A. (2005), ''Not Firing Arrows': Multiplicity, Heterogeneity and the Future of Documentary', Asian Cinema, vol 16, no 1 , pp 117 - 124.
- Rutherford, A. (2004), 'Negotiating Indigenous Documentary: Storytelling, Audience and Cultural Sensibility', Metro Magazine: Media & Education Magazine, vol 139 , pp 56 - 61.
- Rutherford, A. (2003), 'The Poetics of a Potato: documentary that gets under the skin', Metro Magazine: Media & Education Magazine, vol 137 , pp 126 - 131.
- Rutherford, A. (2002), 'Cinema and Embodied Affect', Senses of Cinema, .
- Rutherford, A. (2001), 'Poetics and politics in Garin Nugroho's A Poet', Senses Of Cinema, vol 17 .
- Rutherford, A. (2000), 'Arrested motion : leaps and bounds in the Korean detective film', Senses of Cinema, vol 7 .
- Rutherford, A. (2000), 'But what does the man in the cowboy hat think? : intercultural dialogue : silence, taboo and masquerade', UTS Review, vol 6, no 1 , pp 80 - 103.
- Hansen, M., Jayamanne, L. and Rutherford, A. (1999), ''The future of cinema studies in the age of global media' : aesthetics, spectatorship and public spheres', UTS Review, vol 5, no 1 , pp 94 - 110.
- Rutherford, A. (1991), 'Night Cries : a rural tragedy : a film by Tracey Moffatt', Artlink, vol 10, no 1-2 , pp 65 - 65.
- 2021, 'My Octopus Teacher: A Luminous Inter-Species Encounter', Published Work
- 2021, 'Eye-to-Eye in the Wild', Published Work
- 2020, 'An Open Letter to Jay Swan', Published Work
- 2018, 'Rear View', Published Work
- 2016, 'Ivan Sen's Goldstone: A Taut, Layered Exploration of What Echoes in the Silences', Published Work
- 2014, 'Filming transience, affirming resilience', Published Work
- 2013, 'William Kentridge's Black Box : the cog that turns the wheel', Published Work
- 2011, ''Double Suicide and the Fetishism of Space'.', Published Work
- 2007, 'The Porcelain Face. What You Do and Don't Want: UTS Writers' Anthology', Published Work
- 2006, 'Ulysses Gaze : History Narrative and the Senses', Published Work
- 2006, 'The Quiet Scrape of the Blade: Amar Kanwar. Zones of Contact: 2006 Biennale of Sydney', Published Work
- 2002, 'Thai Cowboys Ride High in Spicy Noodle Western', Published Work
|Thesis Title:||In Exile at Home - A Fijian-Indian Story|
|Field of Research:||Studies In Human Society, N.e.c.|
|Thesis Title:||Are Hou Hsiao-hsien's Films Political? A Study of Gender, Culture, History and Aesthetics in Hou Hsiao-hsien's Historical Films|
|Field of Research:||Studies In Human Society|
|Thesis Title:||Embodying Character: Psychological and Bodily Performance and the Cinematic Construction of the Character in Goal-Driven Narrative Cinema|
|Field of Research:||Creative Arts|
|Thesis Title:||Entangling Liveness: The Embodied Experience of Youth-Oriented Live Music Events|
|Field of Research:||Music|
|Thesis Title:||An Exploration of How a Feature Film Narrative Might be Reconceived as Cine-Poem|
|Field of Research:||Communication And Media Studies; Other Creative Arts|
|Thesis Title:||Affective Intensities and Evolving Horror Forms: From Found Footage to Virtual Reality|
|Field of Research:||Other Society And Culture|
|Thesis Title:||Revisioning the Virgin Queen: Changing Images of a Woman in Power, 1955-2006|
|Field of Research:||History|