Doctor Lynde Tan
Lynde Tan has a PhD in Applied Linguistics from the University of Lancaster, United Kingdom. Before joining Western Sydney University, she was a lecturer at the National Institute of Education (NIE) in Singapore where she taught a range of courses related to learning sciences and technologies to educators, namely principals, in-service and pre-service teachers. She also taught qualitative methodology courses to post-graduate students. Lynde started her career as a primary school teacher and was soon seconded to the Singapore Ministry of Education Headquarters (MOE HQ) as an Educational Technology Officer where she supported teachers in pedagogical interventions using emerging technologies. At MOE HQ, she also co-chaired committees headed by Microsoft (Singapore) and Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore to scale innovative digital practices among Singapore teachers.
Her work follows the lead of scholars who are keen to understand what people do with literacy in everyday lives and specifically, how adolescents negotiate the relationships between the dominant notion of literacy and learning in school and those they are developing outside of school. She is also interested in pedagogical issues pertinent to the use of digital media for school literacy and learning. She currently serves on the Editorial Review Boards for the Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy (JAAL) and E-Learning and Digital Media.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Tan.
- PhD (Applied Linguistics) University of Lancaster
- MA (English Studies) National University of Singapore
- BA (Diploma in Education)(Merit) Nanyang Technological University
- Australian Literacy Educators' Association (ALEA) (2015 - 2016)
- Local Achievement Award 2015: Use of Digital Media for Assessment Related Matters 2015-12-08
- Local Achievement Award 2015: Group Award for Academic Literacy Advisors 2015-12-08
- National Institute of Education Staff Development Award (Singapore) 2009-08-03
- Singapore Ministry of Education Teaching Scholarship 1992-06-29
- Achievement Award for Recognition of Exemplary Performance 2016 2016-12-06
- Ethnography in education
- Multimodal learning
- New Literacy Studies
- digital literacies
|Phone:||(02) 9772 6277|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
Previous Teaching Areas
- 101586 Primary English and Literacy 2, 2014
- 101586 Primary English and Literacy 2, 2015
- Tan, L. and Zammit, K. (2018), 'Teaching Writing and Representing in the Primary School Years', : Pearson Australia 9781488624803.
- Tan, L. and Zammit, K. (2016), 'Teaching Writing and Representing in the Primary School Years', : Pearson Australia 9781488613708.
- Tan, L. and Koh, J. (2014), 'Self-Directed Learning: Learning in the 21st Century', : Ministry of Education .
Chapters in Books
- Tan, L. and Ali, J. (2019), 'Investigating TPACK as professional knowledge for Australian literacy teachers', International Encyclopedia of Media Literacy, John Wiley & Sons 9781118978245.
- Tan, L. and Zammit, K. (2016), 'Defining language and literacy', Teaching Writing and Representing in the Primary School Years, Pearson Australia 9781488613708.
- Zammit, K. and Tan, L. (2016), 'The teaching and learning cycle in composing multimodal texts', Teaching Writing and Representing in the Primary School Years, Pearson Australia 9781488613708.
- Tan, L. and Zammit, K. (2016), 'Using digital media for composing multimodal texts', Teaching Writing and Representing in the Primary School Years, Pearson Australia 9781488613708.
- Tan, L. and Zammit, K. (2016), 'New media literacies in children's online writing', Teaching Writing and Representing in the Primary School Years, Pearson Australia 9781488613708.
- Tan, L. and Kim, B. (2015), 'Learning by doing in the digital media age : the contention of learning in adolescents' literacy practices', New Media and Learning in the 21st Century: A Sociocultural Perspective, Springer 9789812873255.
- Kim, B., Tan, L. and Tan, S. (2014), '"Perhaps this can be for education" : learners' cultural models for educational game design', Educational Media and Technology Yearbook. Volume 38, Springer 9783319063133.
- Guo, L., Amasha, S. and Tan, L. (2011), 'Multimodal literacy in extended learning activities', Transforming Literacies and Language: Multimodality and Literacy in the New Media Age, Continuum 9781441123916.
- Tan, L., Guo, L. and Chia, A. (2009), 'Teaching English in new times', Exploring New frontiers: Challenging Students in the Language and Literature Classroom, Pearson Education South Asia 9789810681944.
- Tan, L. and Kim, B. (2019), '[In Press] Adolescents' agentic work on developing personal pedagogies on social media', Literacy, .
- Tan, L., Berger, N., Jones, K., Southall, M. and Mason, K. (2019), 'Top five steps in championing STEM innovations', Science Education News, vol 68, no 1 , pp 32 - 36.
- Drajati, N., Tan, L., Haryati, S., Rochsantiningsih, D. and Zainnuri, H. (2018), 'Investigating English language teachers in developing TPACK and multimodal literacy', Indonesian Journal of Applied Linguistics, vol 7, no 3 , pp 575 - 582.
- Chai, C., Tan, L., Deng, F. and Koh, J. (2017), 'Examining pre-service teachers' design capacities for web-based 21st century new culture of learning', Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, vol 33, no 2 , pp 129 - 142.
- Kim, B., Tan, L. and Bielaczyc, K. (2015), 'Learner-generated designs in participatory culture : what they are and how they are shaping learning', Interactive Learning Environments, vol 23, no 5 , pp 545 - 555.
- Tan, L. and Guo, L. (2014), 'Multiliteracies in an outcome-driven curriculum : where is its fit?', Asia-Pacific Education Researcher, vol 23, no 1 , pp 29 - 36.
- Tan, L. (2014), 'Book review : Multimodality and Social Semiosis: Communication, Meaning-Making, and Learning in the work of Gunther Kress', Pedagogies: an International Journal, vol 9, no 3 , pp 268 - 271.
- Tan, L. (2013), 'Production-on-the-go practice : storyboarding as a retrospective and redundant school literacy activity', Learning, Media and Technology, vol 38, no 1 , pp 86 - 101.
- Kim, B., Tan, L. and Kim, M. (2013), 'The affordances of informant design in educational game development', International Journal of Arts and Technology, vol 6, no 3 , pp 215 - 228.
- Teo, T. and Tan, L. (2012), 'The theory of planned behaviours (TPB) and pre-service teachers' technology acceptance : a validation study using structural equation modeling', Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, vol 20, no 1 , pp 89 - 104.
- Chai, C., Koh, J., Tsai, C. and Tan, L. (2011), 'Modelling primary school pre-service teachers' technological pedagogical content knowledge (TPACK) for meaningful learning with information and communication technology (ICT)', Computers & Education, vol 57, no 1 , pp 1184 - 1193.
- Tan, L., Bopry, J. and Guo, L. (2010), 'Portraits of new literacies in two Singapore classrooms', RELC Journal, vol 41, no 1 , pp 5 - 17.
- Tan, L. (2010), 'Putting the cart before the horse : interrogating media literacy education in school English lessons', New Horizons in Education, vol 58, no 3 , pp 67 - 77.
- Tan, L. and Guo, L. (2009), 'From print to critical multimedia literacy : one teacher's foray into new literacies practices', Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, vol 53, no 4 , pp 315 - 324.
- Kim, M., Tan, L. and Kim, B. (2010), 'Unpacking learner voices for educational game design', World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia & Telecommunications, Toronto, Canada.
|Title:||An investigation into some Baria-Vungtau Junior High Schools' application of writing methodology and suggestions to improve writing instructions|
|Western Researchers:||Jacqueline D'Warte and Lynde Tan|
|Years:||2016-03-23 - 2020-03-22|
|Years:||2018-03-23 - 2018-04-13|
|Title:||Research evaluation of the impact of a game-based App on high school students' learning|
|Western Researchers:||Chwee Beng Lee, Jose Hanham and Lynde Tan|
|Years:||2017-07-24 - 2018-01-15|
Doctor Tan is available to be a principal supervisor for doctoral projects
|Thesis Title:||Improving Learners Reading Fluency By Applying Critical Thinking Techniques At Vietnamese Universities.|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||An Investigation into Writing Practices in Ba Ria-Vung Tau Lower Secondary Schools|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Error Correction in Indonesian EFL Students Writing: English Teachers' Beliefs, Practices and Students' Preferences|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Digital Storytelling for Improving Saudi ESL Learners' Literacy Skills|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Elementary Teacher Training Program in St. Benedict's Teachers College, DWU, ESP Papua New Guinea: The Case of Standard Based Curriculum|
|Field of Research:|
|Thesis Title:||Digital Storytelling for Non-Background Learners of Chinese: A case study of a Primary School in Australia|
|Field of Research:||Teacher Education: Primary|
|Title:||Questioning Learning: Lenses from the Learning Sciences|
|Description:||This blog post discusses the contribution of learning sciences research to understanding the science of learning, knowledge construction, digital media, and principles of effective learning environments and the role of instruction.|